SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2009, 05:46 PM   #21
Layoira
Layoira is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Where is the onstar computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Freak View Post
Yeah, it's got to be the OnStar module, the only question I have is how to get the bloody thing out; whatever it's attached to feels loose, but I don't want to go breaking something by just pulling on it.
From looking last nite theres 2 screws on either side comming from the inside out, which is holding the black one in place, and then theres black plastic "clips" holding the metal one to the black one, plus screws on the bottom. I just got home so Im gonna head out in a minute and take a look. The problem Im gonna have is getting the connectors undone from the top. Its really hard to see in there and I'm really pretty small and even me half in that glovebox space is a challenge lol Theres gotta be another way in there.

And its got to be the onstar for sure, cause like I said, the Euro cars dont have this connector period. and they dont have Onstar, plus it is a communications box, and theres no other communications device in the car other than onstar so its pretty safe to say thats it!

~Christina~
Astra XR5: 3M Film,GID, Arm Rest, SRi Wheel, Tints (50/35/13), Pioneer Nav Unit, Debadged, Glovebox Cooling, VXR Surrounds, Painted Grill, XP Spoiler, HIDS, Footwell Lighting. Pics Up :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Layoira's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Layoira reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Layoira is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #22
Teh_Freak
Teh_Freak is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Well, after tinkering around with it a bit, I found out that all you need to do is slide the entire thing to the left and it just pops loose. You'll need to do some weird maneuvering with before you can just pull the entire thing out. Here's a pic of it, the thing is a little bit smaller than the palm of my hand:

Oh yeah, that black thing you mentioned earlier is just a battery, nothing special there. I tried putting it back into place, with the little clip sliding back into wherever it goes, but it's been such a ***** that I just scooted it near where it came from. Oh yeah, it definately IS the OnStar module (to clarify that); I disconnected the wiring and noticed that the LED on the rearview didn't come on at all, reconnected and it came on seconds after the car started.

-- Jon --
Red 2008 Saturn Astra XR3 (2008 - 2012 RIP) :(
Black 1987 Porsche 944
Blue 2012 Ford Focus (On Order)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Teh_Freak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Teh_Freak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Teh_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:21 PM   #23
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Well, after tinkering around with it a bit, I found out that all you need to do is slide the entire thing to the left and it just pops loose. You'll need to do some weird maneuvering with before you can just pull the entire thing out. Here's a pic of it, the thing is a little bit smaller than the palm of my hand:

Oh yeah, that black thing you mentioned earlier is just a battery, nothing special there.
good to know, saves me the time of having to take it off to see what it is

~Christina~
Astra XR5: 3M Film,GID, Arm Rest, SRi Wheel, Tints (50/35/13), Pioneer Nav Unit, Debadged, Glovebox Cooling, VXR Surrounds, Painted Grill, XP Spoiler, HIDS, Footwell Lighting. Pics Up :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Layoira reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-07-2009, 06:30 PM   #24
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:

Oh yeah, that black thing you mentioned earlier is just a battery, nothing special there. I tried putting it back into place, with the little clip sliding back into wherever it goes, but it's been such a ***** that I just scooted it near where it came from. Oh yeah, it definately IS the OnStar module (to clarify that); I disconnected the wiring and noticed that the LED on the rearview didn't come on at all, reconnected and it came on seconds after the car started.

Oh btw, have some good news for you Will PM you later

~Christina~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-07-2009, 09:58 PM   #25
Teh_Freak

2008 Astra XR

Ah, good news is always... good

On a somewhat related note, OnStar-wise, would anyone happen to have the schematic for the module? I'm trying to work with the guys that make the BlueStar module so we can have access to Bluetooth (using the mic and speakers in the car already), it seems the OnStar module we have is unique to the Astra so they're at a deadend.

-- Jon --
Black 1987 Porsche 944

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Teh_Freak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-08-2009, 01:59 AM   #26
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:

On a somewhat related note, OnStar-wise, would anyone happen to have the schematic for the module? I'm trying to work with the guys that make the BlueStar module so we can have access to Bluetooth (using the mic and speakers in the car already), it seems the OnStar module we have is unique to the Astra so they're at a deadend.
Gosh I owe you a PM don't I lol. Heading to do that now Yep tis good news cause i'm genius and clever and that means good news for you

Now that Onstar request is a good challenge for someone lol. Good luck to the person who finds that!

~Christina~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2009, 08:41 AM   #27
Nightwalker
Nightwalker is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:

I don't have a schematic, but I'd love to open it up and trace out what I can. I need to pull my module any how, so maybe I could give it a shot.
What holds the module enclosure together, some bolts?

My audio system thread, how to replace speakers: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137456

2008 Astra 3 door XR, 5-speed MT Black Sapphire, custom audio system

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nightwalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nightwalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:55 AM   #28
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Don't ask;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg os1.jpg (64.8 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg os2.jpg (117.3 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg os3.jpg (72.4 KB, 59 views)

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:18 PM   #29
Teh_Freak

2008 Astra XR

Ah, thanks for that schematic fdryer.
According to Chris, the system runs on a Class2 protocol (if that helps out anyone in particular). Also, what I've yanked out may not be the OnStar module at all... interesting, I'll have to talk to the guys at the dealership about this tomorrow when I take my car in.

-- Jon --
Black 1987 Porsche 944

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2009, 09:16 PM   #30
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Oh yeah, it definately IS the OnStar module (to clarify that); I disconnected the wiring and noticed that the LED on the rearview didn't come on at all, reconnected and it came on seconds after the car started.
What Freak isn't telling us is that after he disconnected the wiring, black helicopters were seen approaching his house, until he reconnected everything. That was a close one, Freak.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:57 PM   #31
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

What else could it possibly be? What do we have in our cars that is communications related that the Euro cars dont have?

For Example:

~Christina~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2009, 11:23 PM   #32
Teh_Freak

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layoira View Post
What else could it possibly be? What do we have in our cars that is communications related that the Euro cars dont have?
Personally I think it's some odd OnStar unit GM made specifically for the Astra; Chris thinks otherwise though. I ought to find out tomorrow if the service dudes at the dealership know anything substantial about the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra La Vista! View Post
What Freak isn't telling us is that after he disconnected the wiring, black helicopters were seen approaching his house, until he reconnected everything. That was a close one, Freak.
Shhhhh, gotta be hush hush or they'll send the FBI, NSA, and OSI after me this time. Those helos were a warning.

-- Jon --
Black 1987 Porsche 944

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2009, 11:45 PM   #33
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

My money is on onstar. cause i cant think of anything else it could possibly be, unless i'm missing something. Service dept should tell you tho. Had I thought to ask I would have asked when the car was in Monday having a new seat track put in.

~Christina~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-09-2010, 07:15 PM   #34
MidnightBlueXR
MidnightBlueXR is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2007 AURA XR

Any definitive info on this? I just ordered all the parts for my stereo install and I was thinking of ditching the OnStar completely when I do my install, since I didn't bother renewing it anyway.

2007 Midnight Blue Aura XR
2008 Arctic White Astra XR3

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MidnightBlueXR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MidnightBlueXR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MidnightBlueXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:55 PM   #35
08SuperDuty
08SuperDuty is on a distinguished road

Anybody know where I can find the VCIM module in a 2007 Saturn Aura? I have the codes U0073 and P0700 and think this must be it. Just need to find the thing now and could use some help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 08SuperDuty's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 08SuperDuty reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
08SuperDuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:19 PM   #36
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Model, engine?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote