SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
intrepid2006
intrepid2006 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Body Control Module (BCM) problems

My '06 Vue is having Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) problems. Since both of my key fobs are not responding to new batteries, cleaning and re-synching, I'm told that it may be a problem with the Body Control Module (BCM).

Has anyone had to have BCM repairs/replacement done? What was the cost involved?

Thanks for your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to intrepid2006's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help intrepid2006 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
intrepid2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2009, 10:44 AM   #2
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Body Control Module (BCM) problems

Had it done on my 2002 L200, twice.
Cost is ~$400 USD.

While you think you can get the BCM from somewhere else than dealer, you still are screwed. Only the dealer has the proper software to reprogram the thing. Also, bring ALL your keyfobs with you.

Good luck. And hope that is something else besides the BCM....

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
intrepid2006

2006 VUE 3.5L

unkle bik, thanks for the info.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help intrepid2006 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-06-2009, 12:53 PM   #4
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Have you had any of the classic bad BCM symptoms like:
service wrench light flashing,
chimes going off & on,
odometer showing 628,000 miles,
speedo not working?

If not, it may not be the BCM.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-06-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
intrepid2006

2006 VUE 3.5L

I have not had any of those classic bad symptoms occur, except for maybe the door chime. On rare occasion, (actually only when my RKEs "died") when I put the key into the door to open it, then I unlock the rest of the doors (automatically), and if I don't put the key into the ignition within, say, 10 seconds, the door begins to chime quickly, and then the horn starts blaring, as if I had pressed the red panic button. And it keeps blaring until I put the key in the ignition and turn it to run.
Is this the kind of symptom that goes with a bad BCM?
Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-06-2009, 03:12 PM   #6
unkle bik
Master Member

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

IIRC, your car should do that with security light flashing,too.

I was always told, "If you lock the car using the key fob, unlock the door using the key fob."

And: "if lock the door using the key, make sure you unlock the door using the key."

Changing sequences usually will start the security system unless you insert the key into the ignition within a couple seconds. I have had this happen when I lost my keys and used the "credit card" key to start the car. I don't know if all Saturns are set up this way, but that's how it is for 2002 L200's.

Check your manual and try it out. Hope this helps.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-07-2009, 08:20 PM   #7
briansnoopy
briansnoopy is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepid2006 View Post
Is this the kind of symptom that goes with a bad BCM?
No, those are the proper working arrangements.

2006 QC3 2.4 "Orion" 5-sp, Sun&Sound
2001 SC2 "Sharky"
1997 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to briansnoopy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help briansnoopy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
briansnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:19 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

To elaborate a little more; it is exactly the correct way to disable the Passlock factory anti-theft system and not due to a faulty bcm, by inserting the ignition key and turning it to the ON/RUN positin within 10-15 seconds. Waiting any further will turn on the alarm system that can only be disabled by the proper ignition key turned before the time out (or afterwards) to disable it. This is the secondary back-up to not having the remote(s) around. Its in the owner's manual if there is one.

Usually the remote may still work by using the UNLOCK button to disable the anti-theft system and then just using the LOCK/UNLOCK buttons on the driver's door to manually lock the doors before exiting. The last remote command to UNLOCK disables the anti-theft system but using the manual door pushbuttons still works but not to enable or disable the anti-theft system. Using the key to manually unlock the door(s) now, won't force you to rush the ignition key sequence. You disabled the anti-theft system (hopefully).

Perhaps the procedure for re-synching the two remotes wasn't done correctly?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote