SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
sticks185
sticks185 is on a distinguished road

Default 98 Saturn SL2 - How do I reset alarm?

I have a 98 Saturn SL2. If I lock the door with the key fob and then enter using just the key, the alarm goes off. I know that I'm supposed to have 15 seconds to start the car and then the alarm should go off. The problem is that it doesn't. I always have to press unlock on the fob to turn off the alarm (and then I can start the car).

I went to a dealer and was told to leave the key in the on position for 30 minutes to reset the alarm... this didn't work.

I read a thread ealier today that said to open the door with the key, let the alarm go for 2 minutes (afterwhich it will turn off by itself), then turn the key to on and then again to off, wait 30 minutes and then it's reset... this didn't work either...

Does anyone have any suggestions??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sticks185's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sticks185 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sticks185 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2009, 11:25 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 98 Saturn SL2 - How do I reset alarm?

Is this a factory or aftermarket alarm system? Factory alarm systems has the GM logo embossed on the back cover of the remote. Aftermarket alarms won't and another hint of aftermarket systems are the messy wiring usually located on the driver's side, in the footwell area. Look under there for the electronics box and the wiring mess that's spliced into the factory wiring. If this is an aftermarket system you'll have to find the place that did the work to de-bug it otherwise you may be able to remove an in-line fuse to disable the aftermarket alarm system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
sticks185

My alarm is factory...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sticks185 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-30-2009, 09:27 AM   #4
99blacktop
99blacktop is on a distinguished road

I'm confused, if you used to fob to lock the doors and activate the alarm, why aren't you using it to unlock/deactivate?

Do you have the owner's manual? I know it explains something in there. When I go to lunch, I'll grab mine and see what it says. The 15 second thing doesn't ring any bells, but it has been a few years since I read the book. I have used my credit card key at least once in the last 11 years and I know there is a process to reset without the fob.

2013 Chevy Cruze Eco
2001 Chevy Corvette

My Saturn history:
1993 SL2 100,406 miles ('94-'98)
1999 SC2 118,537 miles ('98-'12)
2005 VUE 25,705 miles ('05-'09)
2008 Astra 27,014 miles ('09-'12)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99blacktop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99blacktop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99blacktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:39 AM   #5
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99blacktop View Post
I'm confused, if you used to fob to lock the doors and activate the alarm, why aren't you using it to unlock/deactivate?

Do you have the owner's manual? I know it explains something in there. When I go to lunch, I'll grab mine and see what it says. The 15 second thing doesn't ring any bells, but it has been a few years since I read the book. I have used my credit card key at least once in the last 11 years and I know there is a process to reset without the fob.
+1, there is a process outlined in the owners manual, but why would you need it when you obviously have a fob that set the alarm to begin with? If it's a matter of a spouse or someone else with the fob, and you don't have one for you, buy one on ebay. Just match the numbers on the back of the remote, and you should be able to get one for under $20 shipped if you're patient. Heck, buy one & stash it somewhere secret in the car, so if you ever lose your fob, you can key in, dig out the hidden remote, and shut off the alarm.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
99blacktop
99blacktop is on a distinguished road

From the 1999 handbook (page 79):

Starting Your Saturn (If your transmitter is lost or damaged and the Saturn Security System is armed.)
  • Use your key to unlock and open the door. The alarm will sound for about two minutes.
  • After the alarm stops, put your key in the ignition and turn your key to the "RUN" position.
  • Turn your key back to the "LOCK" position and remove your key from the ignition.
  • After about fifteen minutes, you will be able to start your car.

2013 Chevy Cruze Eco
2001 Chevy Corvette

My Saturn history:
1993 SL2 100,406 miles ('94-'98)
1999 SC2 118,537 miles ('98-'12)
2005 VUE 25,705 miles ('05-'09)
2008 Astra 27,014 miles ('09-'12)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99blacktop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99blacktop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99blacktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:55 PM   #7
sticks185

1st of all, thanks for the responces...here's the deal... I only have the one key fob...according the the owners manual I'm supposed to be able to access the car with a key and be able to drive without a key fob. All I wanted to know is how to do this, since it's obviously not working the way it's designed.

I appreciate the 'basic' responses - as they are obvious (I can order a spare and I can access with the one I have).

Does anyone have any reason why the alarm is doing what it is doing?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-30-2009, 06:02 PM   #8
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

Because it's on one of ~7 modes, and the current one you don't like.

"S" Series RKE Remote and Option Programing
^All the options, how they work, and how to change 'em.

Collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing"
3 ECTS pigtails, 1 ECTS FS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:03 PM   #9
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59192 - One option is to decommission all alarm functions, and have RKE functionality only (a la '96).

When you tried the two-minute, turn-key, wait-15 procedure, what exactly "didn't work"? Or, perhaps more usefully, what happened?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:57 PM   #10
sticks185

excellent!! I will try changing the modes - exactly what I was looking for!!
thanks!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!