SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2009, 09:14 AM   #21
fireman591
fireman591 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 2005 saturn Vue shock replacement (READ) !!!!

Oh just another FYI. I ordered Monroe sensa trac struts but when they came they had Monroe reflex's in the box with the sensa trac part numbers. Not sure why but the shop said the reflex's are a great strut and a step up from the sensa tracs. They also do not come with a dust boot so if yours is is bad shape pick one up before you do a install.
Have a good one
Fireman591

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fireman591's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fireman591 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fireman591 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2009, 10:27 AM   #22
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
.... Its been my experience so long as the caster, camber, track, stability ... its almost a waste of money to change front struts.
If I may throw in my 2-cents here, there's a world of difference in replacing front end struts. My previous car was a small land yacht, a '91 Mercury Sable wagon for shuttling the midget VIP's around - my nieces and nephews. As my daily driver, the front end would always wallow in the dips and turns of my local roads (NYC) until the struts were replaced (around 80,000 miles). It was a dramatic difference but only lasted about a year or two. When new they, Monroe gas charged, were great as all front wheel drives with larger motors (it had a 3.8L V6) tend to be very heavy. I enjoyed the brief stiffer front suspension for the time it worked.

When I stepped up to my L300 I was very impressed with the European suspension as it has a firmer suspension or maybe I just noticed a sedan handles better than the small boat I drove. I would think that your Vue would either give you hints when its due front or rear stuts/shocks as they wear. I was always aware of how my wagon wallowed in the dips of the same roads I use daily and the new struts made those adventures disappear. Until they wore out.....I have a little over 50k miles on my L300 and am beginning to wonder if my struts are wearing out....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:46 PM   #23
fireman591
fireman591 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
If I may throw in my 2-cents here, there's a world of difference in replacing front end struts. My previous car was a small land yacht, a '91 Mercury Sable wagon for shuttling the midget VIP's around - my nieces and nephews. As my daily driver, the front end would always wallow in the dips and turns of my local roads (NYC) until the struts were replaced (around 80,000 miles). It was a dramatic difference but only lasted about a year or two. When new they, Monroe gas charged, were great as all front wheel drives with larger motors (it had a 3.8L V6) tend to be very heavy. I enjoyed the brief stiffer front suspension for the time it worked.

When I stepped up to my L300 I was very impressed with the European suspension as it has a firmer suspension or maybe I just noticed a sedan handles better than the small boat I drove. I would think that your Vue would either give you hints when its due front or rear stuts/shocks as they wear. I was always aware of how my wagon wallowed in the dips of the same roads I use daily and the new struts made those adventures disappear. Until they wore out.....I have a little over 50k miles on my L300 and am beginning to wonder if my struts are wearing out....

I hear ya. I kinda knew the struts were getting tired but had no idea that they would be totally shot with 48,000 miles on them. My 10 year old son can move the strut rod up and down with no problem. That is how bad they were

It is almost impossible to tell if they are bad without taking them out. I will say that the reflex struts and shocks are alot better than the stock ones from day one. So if you are on the fence whether yours are bad or not going with the Monroes will be worth it anyway.
Have a good one
fireman591

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fireman591's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fireman591 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fireman591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:51 PM   #24
kevo420
kevo420 is on a distinguished road

2000 SC2
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Oh just another FYI. I ordered Monroe sensa trac struts but when they came they had Monroe reflex's in the box with the sensa trac part numbers.
I had this problem too, i ordered mine from rockauto.com as well.

I contacted both rockauto and monroes and they told me the same thing, that they were mis-labeled... Because they haven't made the reflex line in a while for the vue, and the sensa-trac part number were stamped into them i was assured they were the sensa-trac valving setup. I'm content with the explanation, but can't understand why they're using old labels but stamping new part numbers...Whatever lol

My ride kicked ass after changing rear shocks, front struts & Mounts, and sway bar end links... pure awesome.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevo420's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevo420 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevo420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:08 PM   #25
rokinroj
rokinroj is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman591 View Post
I did the rears myself for $78.04. I got a pair of monroe reflex shocks off amazon.com So the grand total for both shocks struts and the alignment was $409.00
Did you go with the monotube or the light truck? Any chance you remember the model number of the shocks? Like 921965 or something like that?

Thanks
-Roger

Remember, anyone going slower than you is an idiot and anyone going faster than you is a maniac!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rokinroj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rokinroj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rokinroj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:50 PM   #26
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRL View Post
Did they reduce body roll at all?
Shocks/struts will help, but check your front and rear sway bars, busings and end links. Also be sure neither bar is severely corroded inside the bushings, or even possibly broken there. On cars over five years old, the sway bar bushings should be replaced anyway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:23 PM   #27
PanVet
PanVet is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2004 VUE 3.6L

Short of jumping up and down on the bumper what is the best way to check the rear shocks and front struts to see if they need to be replaced?

I just bought a 04 Vue with 53,000 miles so was just wondering if I should change the rear shocks.

I have never done shocks before but I am mechanically inclined enough to probably do it provided I have the right tools.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PanVet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PanVet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PanVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #28
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

You can do the rears easily. The car does not have to be jacked up and the suspension remains static without the shocks. In other words, the front struts cannot be removed with the vehicle's weight on them - the suspension will collapse without the strut. The rear shocks are just shocks and do not form a suspension link. You must remove the plastic wheel well liner to get to the upper mount - pry out the fasteners - you may have to replace some of them but you can drive the car without the liners to pick them up. For ease of installing the new units, you may want to jack up each side as you get to it and remove the wheel, but you don't have to. Take the nuts off the top and bottom mounts and remove the shock. The new one may be strapped in the compressed position and will open with gas pressure when the strap is cut - this is why sometimes its better to have it jacked with the suspension extended and the wheel off. Sometimes you have to put the new rubber bushings and steel washers on too before installing. If you're fast, you can cut and remove the strap and position the shock before it fully opens - only takes 3 seconds or so to open. Kind of depends of the mount types - some vehicles just have a hole at both ends for the shock stud, others have different kinds of mounts. If your shock is the type with strong gas pressure, it can be extremely hard to compress to put a bushing on or line up with a hole after the strap is removed. When tightening the mounts, get them snug but only squeeze the bushings to match the width of the washers. Then use the jam nuts to lock everything in place.
I have the Monroe set in mine but did not install them. I have put a lot of shocks in all kinds of vehicles before though. I really wish Bilstein made a 'sport' shock (or any shock!) for the VUE. They are the best available as far as I'm concerned - I've had them on a few vehicles over the years, but there's not much available for the VUE. I'd say there's a good chance Monroe made the original shocks since they're the only ones making replacements. To me, Monroe shocks/struts are pretty cheap replacements and don't hold up well. I haven't had much luck with Monroe over the years, even the HD/High Performance lines. I'm probably going to get rid of my VUE and start leasing within a year or two, so I think I'm out of the upgrade game - just trying to keep it on the road now. I still like it but fear big repair bills, some known and others possible. Being retired, I can budget a lease payment a lot easier than $$$$ repair jobs like the 100,000 mile service, new tires, new brakes, unexpected breakdowns, etc. Plus I get a new car every three years and keep up with technology.
Anyway, you should be able to change out your shocks with a few basic tools and some common sense.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #29
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

KYB makes rear shocks (and front struts) for the VUE. I'm not really sure as to where they fall in the quality spectrum. I had a set of KYBs on my S-series with some H&R sport lowering springs. They took lots of autoxing, daily driving and track day abuse. My plan was to replace the VUE's dampers with KYBs.

Check autopartswarehouse.com for KYB stuff. I've ordered from there and had great success. Rockauto.com (a forum sponsor) also carries them.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote