SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 06-29-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
fireman591
fireman591 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
Default 2005 saturn Vue shock replacement (READ) !!!!

Just a FYI. I replaced my rear shocks last week with monroe reflex shocks. The vue now rides great. It was very easy to do and I sprayed 2 cans per wheel well ( since I had the plastic covers out) of rubberized undercoating with sound deadener. The old shocks were shot with only 48,000 miles. They would push in very easy but stay in
I ordered new struts for the front and will put them on this week I hope. Iwill keep ya posted.
Fireman591

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fireman591's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fireman591 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fireman591 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
JimJohn1213
JimJohn1213 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2005 saturn Vue shock replacement (READ) !!!!

I put Monroes on my 2003 back and front. Your right the back is easy.

Did you order Monroes for the front. I had a problem with the camber alignment after putting the front shocks on. Turns out the mounting holes on the Monroes is slightly different from the OEM. Hand to take the VUE to an alignment shop and they had to drill slots on the shock mounting holes to get the camber adjusted to spec. Turns out what I saved on the Monroes over the OEM I spent at the alignment shop.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JimJohn1213's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JimJohn1213 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JimJohn1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:12 PM   #3
fireman591

2005 VUE 3.5L

Ya I have monroe sensa tracs coming for the fronts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fireman591 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-30-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

JimJohn, how many miles when you replaced yours?

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:47 AM   #5
fireman591

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm View Post
JimJohn, how many miles when you replaced yours?

48,000. I get the struts on Thursday so I will post how bad those were.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-30-2009, 09:48 AM   #6
fireman591

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman591 View Post
48,000. I get the struts on Thursday so I will post how bad those were.

oops, Sorry Tom I thought you meant me

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-30-2009, 10:58 AM   #7
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Did they reduce body roll at all?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:59 PM   #8
fireman591

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRL View Post
Did they reduce body roll at all?
A little bit but I am 90% sure that the fronts are shot. I am getting them done Thursday. I will let ya know Friday on the ride quality.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-30-2009, 10:08 PM   #9
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
A little bit but I am 90% sure that the fronts are shot. I am getting them done Thursday. I will let ya know Friday on the ride quality.
Front struts are generally good for 100,000 miles plus ... what sort of problems led you to decide to replace them?

Do you intend to replace the strut mounts also?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:29 PM   #10
xtremeranger
Advanced Member
xtremeranger is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line
2006 ION Red Line

yeah do the nts also...no since in putting new shocks on if your not gnna do the mounts...

2005 VUE Red Line AWD - Tint, Audio, K&N
2006 ION Red Line Competition Package - Stage 2, strut bar, Hurst, Antenna delete, tinted corners, painted headlights

1998 SL2 - SOLD 87K-113K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xtremeranger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xtremeranger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xtremeranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:23 PM   #11
fireman591

2005 VUE 3.5L

The dealer replaced the mounts in January. From what I have read the stock struts on a vue a junk. I get the new ones on tomorrow. I will post how it goes with the ride on Friday.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-01-2009, 12:43 PM   #12
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
The dealer replaced the mounts in January. From what I have read the stock struts on a vue a junk. I get the new ones on tomorrow. I will post how it goes with the ride on Friday.
fireman591 ... I like the Avatar ... is that from a real deal or a planned event?

And, not to be a pain but you say you've read the stock struts are junk and I'm trying to find out what sort of problems you've personally had?

You mention having 48,000 miles on the Vue ... I have 40,000 now and am wondering what to watch out for.

I've been through the noisy front-end phase and those problems were related to the strut mounts.

Its been my experience so long as the caster, camber, track, stability and tire wear remain acceptable, its almost a waste of money to change front struts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:51 PM   #13
fireman591

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
fireman591 ... I like the Avatar ... is that from a real deal or a planned event?

And, not to be a pain but you say you've read the stock struts are junk and I'm trying to find out what sort of problems you've personally had?

You mention having 48,000 miles on the Vue ... I have 40,000 now and am wondering what to watch out for.

I've been through the noisy front-end phase and those problems were related to the strut mounts.

Its been my experience so long as the caster, camber, track, stability and tire wear remain acceptable, its almost a waste of money to change front struts.
That avitar picture was taken at a chemical spill just before we foamed it out. The issues I am having is lots of body roll and nose dive. I live in MI so enough said on strut life Our roads get pretty bad in the spring. Most struts have a life of 50000-60000 in normal conditions. Sure you can get more out of them but the monroe strut is a better strut then the stock one. I will fill ya in Friday when I drive it for the first time. I am on duty tomorrow so they will drop it off at the station once they are done with it. I am keeping my old struts just so I can see if they are as bad as the rear shocks were.
Have a good one
Fireman591

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-01-2009, 06:10 PM   #14
JimJohn1213
JimJohn1213 is on a distinguished road

Sorry it took so long to reply. I replace all the struts at about 70K. Other than the install issue on the front I have found the ride on the Monroes a lot better than the OEM. IT is a little firmer but I like that.

Let us know how the front install goes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JimJohn1213's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JimJohn1213 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JimJohn1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #15
fireman591

2005 VUE 3.5L

The struts were shot big time!!!!!
I had them save me the old ones and you can move the rod up and down with no pressure. I don't get to drive it till I get off duty tomorrow morning but was relieved to know I did not waste my money on struts that were not bad. I did have to replace one sway bar end link cause the bolt was frozen to the nut.I will post on the ride tomorrow.
Have a good one
Fireman591

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-02-2009, 07:13 PM   #16
04Pacific
04Pacific is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

I have about 74k on my Vue and when I took it in for inspection I was told everything was fine. Granted, I only bought it with 67k so they may have been replaced but how would I tell if they were shot.

The Vue has some decent body roll but I thought that was normal from what I have heard.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 04Pacific's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 04Pacific reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
04Pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:06 AM   #17
kodak_jack
Advanced Member
kodak_jack is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Just a FYI. I replaced my rear shocks last week with monroe reflex shocks. The vue now rides great. It was very easy to do and I sprayed 2 cans per wheel well ( since I had the plastic covers out) of rubberized undercoating with sound deadener. The old shocks were shot with only 48,000 miles. They would push in very easy but stay in
I ordered new struts for the front and will put them on this week I hope. Iwill keep ya posted.
Fireman591
Did you have this done at a chain store or a local shop? How much was it? Why did you have to order the parts? When I had my strut bushings and other clunk causing stuff done by the dealer, the guy who did it said he was careful in what he did and it didn't need a front end alignment. After it started wearing my tires I had the alignment done - at $100!! Always get a front end alignment after playing with the front end stuff.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kodak_jack's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kodak_jack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kodak_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #18
fireman591

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
Did you have this done at a chain store or a local shop? How much was it? Why did you have to order the parts? When I had my strut bushings and other clunk causing stuff done by the dealer, the guy who did it said he was careful in what he did and it didn't need a front end alignment. After it started wearing my tires I had the alignment done - at $100!! Always get a front end alignment after playing with the front end stuff.
I bought the parts at rockauto.com and had the local firestone do the install. Total cost with the alignment,struts,sway bar link and labor was $331.00. I did the rears myself for $78.04. I got a pair of monroe reflex shocks off amazon.com So the grand total for both shocks struts and the alignment was $409.00

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-03-2009, 09:06 AM   #19
fireman591

2005 VUE 3.5L

The ride is awesome!!!!!!!!

It rides 300% better. I like the way it rides better than when it was new! Sway is minimal,the ride is quiet and the ride is smoother. Wish I would have done it sooner. It is safe to say the Michigan roads did a number on the old shocks and struts. I am going to pull the front wheel well covers out and hit the area with sound deadening spray. I did it in the rear and it helped alot.
Have a good one
Fireman591

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-03-2009, 09:10 AM   #20
fireman591

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post

Just a fyi on any repair: Buy your parts online and take it to a good mechanic for the labor if you can't do it yourself. You will save a bundle. The end link that I needed yesterday was $42.00 I could have gotten a set (2)online for $25.00
Good luck
Fireman591

REWARD EXCELLENCE!