SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2009, 08:15 PM   #1
travisj027
travisj027 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1
Question How do I remove my Oil Pan. SC1, 2002?

How do I remove the oil pan on my Saturn SC1 2002? The job should be getting done tomorrow but I'd rather go ahead and ask to avoid confusion. Me and my friend are going to be working on it. Thanks.

Pictures would be appreciated

Help me make my Saturn the best running of it's class!

Last edited by travisj027; 06-28-2009 at 08:28 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to travisj027's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help travisj027 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
travisj027 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2009, 08:51 PM   #2
velleguy73
velleguy73 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL
2002 SL
Default Re: How do I remove my Oil Pan. SC1, 2002?

Pretty simple.

There is an extra brace between the engine and the transmission that you will have to unbolt. You miiiiggggghhhhttttt have to take off the dust shield at the bottom of the transmission where you can access the torque conver to fly wheel bolts, not sure. Other than that, unbolt the pan and out you go. I kind of implied drain the oil. You will know it if you forgot.

Good luck. I would suggest a torque wrench to re-secure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to velleguy73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help velleguy73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
velleguy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:22 PM   #3
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Happy Re: How do I remove my Oil Pan. SC1, 2002?

It also helps to have some 1/4" drive sockets with swivel-end extensions (the ones that have the semi-spherical ends to allow the sockets to pivot a little bit).

You do need to take the dust shield off (at least I did on mine) in order to get the brace off.

Getting the pan broken loose is a bear, even with all the bolts removed (don't forget the ones up near the harmonic balancer, which BTW you will also probably have to remove). Use a putty knife with a sharpened edge to pry between the pan and the block.

Don't forget to use liberal amounts of RTV or other sealant on the harmonic balancer bolt and washer when you put the balancer back on or it will sling oil everywhere.

Wear gloves, there are lots of sharp things in that area.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:28 PM   #4
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Remove the crank shaft pulley.
Remove the front lower engine "mount" bracket.
Remove the front exhaust pipe/cat converter pipe.
Remove the engine to trans bracket.
Remove the inspection cover for the trans.
Remove the oil pan bolts.
Remove the oil pan. A putty knife between the oil pan and block will break the sealer gasket free.

On the 2002 if you can't get the loosened pan out because of clearance issues between the pan, block and or transmission you will need to replace the pan because the only way it comes out is to bend it up to get it out. A replacement pan would be installed with the bolt hole tabs on the trans end of the pan ground down to give the pan enough clearance to go in. Dry fit it to make sure you can get it in. There is a TSB for this but I can't remember for sure if your 2002 is one of the problem years.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:31 PM   #5
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYguy View Post
Don't forget to use liberal amounts of RTV or other sealant on the harmonic balancer bolt and washer when you put the balancer back on or it will sling oil everywhere.
Absolutely not. There is a front crank seal in the timing cover, there is no need to put RTV or anything else on the crank pulley bolt or washer. Once torqued properly, it will not leak. If it is, RTV is a band aid. Nowhere does it tell you in any FSM to put RTV on the crank pulley bolt, and I've had hundreds of thousands of them off over the years, never had one leak and never used RTV on one.

Also, you can't remove the inspection cover without removing the engine to tranny stiffener first. And yes, you must remove them both.

Here's a basic rundown for removing the oil pan. The sizes I am quoting are the size of the socket/wrench you will need, not the size of the bolt.

Jack up car in the front, place on jackstands
Remove RF wheel-4X19mm
Remove inner splash shield-plastic pushpins
slacken belt tensioner, remove belt from crank pulley -14mm
Remove crank pulley-21mm
Remove lower engine mount and dogbone-5X13mm
Remove front oil pan securing bolts-4X8mm
Remove radiator defelector and shield-4 plastic pushpins (**not absolutely necessary, but gives you a nice bit of room to work)
Remove exhaust manifold to downpipe nuts-3X13mm
Remove exhaust bracket from engine stiffener-2X10mm
Pull exhaust straight down-leave it there
Remove engine to tranny stiffener-6X13mm
Remove inspection cover-3X8mm
Remove oil pan to block bolts-all 8mm
Remove oil pan

Installation is the reverse of removal.

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squareback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:41 AM   #6
travisj027

2002 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
Absolutely not. There is a front crank seal in the timing cover, there is no need to put RTV or anything else on the crank pulley bolt or washer. Once torqued properly, it will not leak. If it is, RTV is a band aid. Nowhere does it tell you in any FSM to put RTV on the crank pulley bolt, and I've had hundreds of thousands of them off over the years, never had one leak and never used RTV on one.

Also, you can't remove the inspection cover without removing the engine to tranny stiffener first. And yes, you must remove them both.

Here's a basic rundown for removing the oil pan. The sizes I am quoting are the size of the socket/wrench you will need, not the size of the bolt.

Jack up car in the front, place on jackstands
Remove RF wheel-4X19mm
Remove inner splash shield-plastic pushpins
slacken belt tensioner, remove belt from crank pulley -14mm
Remove crank pulley-21mm
Remove lower engine mount and dogbone-5X13mm
Remove front oil pan securing bolts-4X8mm
Remove radiator defelector and shield-4 plastic pushpins (**not absolutely necessary, but gives you a nice bit of room to work)
Remove exhaust manifold to downpipe nuts-3X13mm
Remove exhaust bracket from engine stiffener-2X10mm
Pull exhaust straight down-leave it there
Remove engine to tranny stiffener-6X13mm
Remove inspection cover-3X8mm
Remove oil pan to block bolts-all 8mm
Remove oil pan

Installation is the reverse of removal.
So I don't need to re-seal it? Just torque the bolts properly?

And I need to remove the right side wheel?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help travisj027 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-29-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
travisj027

2002 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisj027 View Post

?? ??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-29-2009, 08:55 PM   #8
Col.FUBAR
Advanced Member
Col.FUBAR is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:

If I read Squareback's post correctly (And I believe I did, but someone correct me if I am wrong) He just said don't put RTV on the crank pulley bolt. You still need RTV sealer on the oil pan to seal between the engine and the oil pan.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Col.FUBAR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Col.FUBAR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Col.FUBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:51 PM   #9
travisj027

2002 SC1

Okay, and how long does this DIY job take? If you know what you are doing? And what if you don't have a clue on what you are doing?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-30-2009, 08:43 PM   #10
travisj027

2002 SC1

Quote:
Okay, and how long does this DIY job take? If you know what you are doing? And what if you don't have a clue on what you are doing?
=/ Anyone?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-30-2009, 09:03 PM   #11
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

What happened to doing it yesterday? You have a step by step list of what needs to be done, how are we supposed to guess how long it's gonna take you? My best time for an oil pan start to finish was 20 minutes. It might take you an hour, it might take you a week, how long it takes is entirely up to you. It's gonna take a really long time if you never start it. You should easily be able to have it done before lunch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-30-2009, 09:34 PM   #12
travisj027

2002 SC1

Quote:
What happened to doing it yesterday? You have a step by step list of what needs to be done, how are we supposed to guess how long it's gonna take you? My best time for an oil pan start to finish was 20 minutes. It might take you an hour, it might take you a week, how long it takes is entirely up to you. It's gonna take a really long time if you never start it. You should easily be able to have it done before lunch.
I was trying to wait for my friend, because I am not mechanically inclined. I have no idea, what to look for when I am doing it step by step. But he keeps pushing it back. So I might try to do it myself. That's why I asked how long it might take for someone who has no idea on what they are doing. I wanted to do it today but he backed out on me again. Another reason why I wanted pics, any way I can just google the parts and know what they look like at least so I have an idea?

I just don't want to break or mess anything up, this is why I am in this situation right now. I just have bad luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-30-2009, 09:45 PM   #13
Squareback

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Go to your FLAPS and spend the $15 on a Haynes manual. There are step by step instructions with pictures.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-30-2009, 09:50 PM   #14
Col.FUBAR
Advanced Member

1994 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Go to your FLAPS and spend the $15 on a Haynes manual. There are step by step instructions with pictures.
FWIW, You can also create a free account on autozone.com and then you'll have access to ALLDATA which is basically a huge online service manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Col.FUBAR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-30-2009, 09:54 PM   #15
travisj027

2002 SC1

Quote:
Flaps? =/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.FUBAR View Post
FWIW, You can also create a free account on autozone.com and then you'll have access to ALLDATA which is basically a huge online service manual
So autozone has a free step by step manual for service on my car including the current problem I have?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-30-2009, 09:59 PM   #16
Col.FUBAR
Advanced Member

1994 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Flaps? =/
Friendly Local Auto Parts Store

Quote:
So autozone has a free step by step manual for service on my car including the current problem I have?
Yes just create an account and you will be able to "view a repair manual" for your car, they don't always have everything on there but I know that they have the procedure to remove an oil pan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-30-2009, 10:03 PM   #17
travisj027

2002 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.FUBAR View Post
Friendly Local Auto Parts Store

Yes just create an account and you will be able to "view a repair manual" for your car, they don't always have everything on there but I know that they have the procedure to remove an oil pan
Yeah, it isn't as detailed as the one squareback gave me though.

Removal & Installation

2.0L Engine

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.

2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

3. Drain the engine oil.

4. Remove the engine drive belt.

5. Remove the intercooler pump bracket bolts from the oil pan.

6. Remove the lower AC compressor bolt from the oil pan.

7. Remove the oil pan bolts.

8. Remove the oil pan.

To install:

1. Make sure that the oil pan and mounting surface on the lower crankcase are free of all oil and debris.

2. Apply a 0.138 inch (3.5 mm) bead of RTV sealer around the perimeter of the oil pan and the oil suction port opening.

3. Install the oil pan.

4. Install the oil pan bolts and tighten in sequence to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).

5. Install the AC compressor bolts.

6. Install the intercooler pump bracket bolts and tighten to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).

7. Install the engine drive belt.

8. Fill the engine oil to the proper level.

9. Connect the negative battery cable.

And besides my engine is 1.9L. =/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-30-2009, 10:21 PM   #18
Squareback

2005 ION-2 Sedan

You must have done something wrong, an S Series Saturn never came with anything other than a 1.9L, and none were ever turbo from the factory. You don't have to touch the a/c when doing the oil pan, and there is no intercooler on your car. Spend the $15 and get the manual already.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-01-2009, 12:42 PM   #19
travisj027

2002 SC1

Quote:
You must have done something wrong, an S Series Saturn never came with anything other than a 1.9L, and none were ever turbo from the factory. You don't have to touch the a/c when doing the oil pan, and there is no intercooler on your car. Spend the $15 and get the manual already.
Got the manual, it was $22 sigh. oh well, the instructions are simple. At least they seem to be that way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #20
travisj027

2002 SC1

Do I need the gasket?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!