SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2009, 09:42 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Autobytel: 93% of Saturn Lineup Qualifies for Cash-for-Clunkers Voucher

A new story entry has been added:

Autobytel: 93% of Saturn Lineup Qualifies for Cash-for-Clunkers Voucher

Quote:
With Cash-for-Clunkers legislation headed for signing by President Obama, the team of experts at Autobytel has compiled an online buying guide that identifies the top brands and best model bets for a new, more efficient automobile that qualifies for the proposed Cash-for-Clunkers voucher. With gas prices surging upwards, the guide also serves as a timely road map of those vehicles best equipped to save money at the pump.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: Autobytel: 93% of Saturn Lineup Qualifies for Cash-for-Clunkers Voucher

so what, even our 4-cylinder saturns are STILL eligible for cash for clunkers, even though some of us have gotten over 40mpg? and not to mention this was mostly aimed towards gas/diesel guzzlers? How counter productive.

But ok.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:57 AM   #3
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Default Re: Autobytel: 93% of Saturn Lineup Qualifies for Cash-for-Clunkers Voucher

Interesting.

Bah! I'm not going to trade in ANY of my Saturns for a "NEW" vehicle...

I STILL get 36+ mpg on my 94 SL2...and before my 94 SC1's engine went down...there were a few times when I had got 40 and 42 mpg...and THAT car has over 300K miles on it!

Besides...Even though the OUTLOOK may be nice on the outside, it is still a carbon copy clone of the ACADIA...which my wife and I rented once. Can you say "SPACESHIP"?

Geesh...there were so many controls EVERYWHERE...I felt like I was IN a Spaceship! Just felt uncomfortable. Even though the Acadia/Outlook has room...that 3rd row in the very back makes you feel like you are a mile away from someone if they are sitting back there.

No thanks. I'll be keeping my "old School" saturns. Thank you very much.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:49 AM   #4
luvme2tymes
luvme2tymes is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Old school all the way!!!!!

94 SC2..."Rocket"

02 SL2..."Wednesday"

Ride American Quarter Horses, and Rocky Mountain Horses too!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to luvme2tymes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help luvme2tymes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
luvme2tymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
spork
spork is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

That didn't read correctly for me. What they are saying, is that 93% of Saturn's current lineup is eligible to use a clunker voucher for purchase. Conversely, that means pretty much anything sold by Saturn in the past would not be eligible as a "clunker" as it got better than 20 mpg combined. Probably the only ones that might qualify would be some of the 6 Cylinder things Saturn sold since 2000.

"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spork's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spork reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:38 PM   #6
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
Interesting.

I STILL get 36+ mpg on my 94 SL2...and before my 94 SC1's engine went down...there were a few times when I had got 40 and 42 mpg...and THAT car has over 300K miles on it!

Besides...Even though the OUTLOOK may be nice on the outside, it is still a carbon copy clone of the ACADIA...which my wife and I rented once. Can you say "SPACESHIP"?

Geesh...there were so many controls EVERYWHERE...I felt like I was IN a Spaceship! Just felt uncomfortable. Even though the Acadia/Outlook has room...that 3rd row in the very back makes you feel like you are a mile away from someone if they are sitting back there.

So many controls? Not really. It's a modern veichle with modern conveinences that people like. First generation Saturns are about as simplistic as cars get

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:31 AM   #7
ARECCE
ARECCE is on a distinguished road

Check this website.

http://www.cars.gov/

Last edited by ARECCE; 06-25-2009 at 07:41 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ARECCE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ARECCE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ARECCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:41 AM   #8
s3nfo
s3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Well, for grins I went to the CARS website and ran my '01 LW300 through the formula and it doesn't qualify for the rebate. If the V6 300's don't qualify, I can't see how 93% of Saturn's lineup would qualify.

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:51 AM   #9
plato
plato is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SC2

again, it qualifies to use the voucher when you buy a Saturn, it does not qualify to get you a voucher if you junk a Saturn. Capisce?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plato's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plato reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:08 PM   #10
rossao1
Advanced Member
rossao1 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Such as, My '99 Mercury villager minivan it gets 18MPG. I would qualify for $4500 towards an Aura. The problem is the Aura can't tow my 3000 lb pop-up camper.

A Saturn owner since 10/91.
'92 SC, '91 SL2, 95 SW1, '06 ION3
other car- '02 Expedition 5.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rossao1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rossao1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rossao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:33 PM   #11
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossao1 View Post
The problem is the Aura can't tow my 3000 lb pop-up camper.
the tree huggers don't want you to own a camper, boat, or a trailer these days. so no vehicle that can actually tow will be built....

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:23 PM   #12
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

My dad has a late 90's Ford Econoline with the V6 thinking it got better fuel economy than the V8. The difference in FE is negligible, both get 15 MPG combined - but the V6 is notorious for throwing rods or blowing valves around 100K; the Triton V8 has higher reliability.

Even though he thinks the cash for clunkers is a joke, he qualifies for $3500 voucher toward a four-cylinder VUE like my mom's and $4500 if he considers the purchase of a Honda Civic or Ford Focus. I doubt he'll do it. My family generally likes to drive cars until the wheels fall off and the engine quits before even looking at another one.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:24 PM   #13
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR898SL2 View Post
My dad has a late 90's Ford Econoline with the V6 thinking it got better fuel economy than the V8. The difference in FE is negligible, both get 15 MPG combined - but the V6 is notorious for throwing rods or blowing valves around 100K; the Triton V8 has higher reliability.
Hilarious.. getting better fuel economy cuz it's a 6 and that van weighs a good 5000 LBS at least I'm sure the V6 option threw its rods and **** after awhile probably because the econoline is a HUGE like xbox () full-sized van and it couldn't take that load over that span of time.

Come to think of it, I never known the Econoline (or any full-sized van) to have a V6 engine..

On another note, didn't the tritons like to spit out their spark plugs, or perhaps the plugs would break inside the head

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

Last edited by adventureoflink; 06-27-2009 at 01:33 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:08 PM   #14
cmd146
cmd146 is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XE
2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
Interesting.

While I can appreciate the simplicity of the "old school Saturns", (and actually I'm in the market for one to be my commuter car) I wouldn't say that the Outlook is any more complicated than any new car out there. My Outlook XE has less buttons than the wife's Aura XR. It's size is also comparable to that of it's competition and is easier to drive than a full size SUV like a Tahoe or something, in my opinion. I have it because it's comfortable for a big guy like me, fits a 4x8 sheet of drywall in the back, can tow our trailer around and gets better gas mileage than a comparable full size SUV. Plus you get to do business with a Saturn dealer to get one. I personally wouldn't have gone to a GMC dealer, so Saturn got my business instead of Toyota.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cmd146's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cmd146 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cmd146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:17 PM   #15
lamont4689
lamont4689 is on a distinguished road

1994 SW2

I'm not trading mine in as a (clunker) i will never concider it as one--

-my old 93 dodge-shadow---definately is a clunker
rich in S.Va.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lamont4689's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lamont4689 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lamont4689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:33 PM   #16
Sival
Sival will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkle bik View Post
the tree huggers don't want you to own a camper, boat, or a trailer these days. so no vehicle that can actually tow will be built....
Towing is more a factor of the chassis of the vehicle than of the engine in it. For example, all versions of the Grand Vitara are rated to be able to tow 3 000 lbs, there is no difference between the 2.4L inline-4 and the 3.2L V6. Of course, towing 3 000 lbs with the 4 cylinder will make your car Slow (note capital S), but the car can still take it. Ideally, you'd use diesels for towing as they get better torque, but they're not available here so, well, tough luck.

Anyway, point is, I know some of you like blaming all the world's problem on "tree huggers" and the like, but this really isn't about them. It's not because of them that cars have lower tow ratings than they used to be able to have. My guess is that it's because of the coming of the minivan and of the SUV craze, people who had to tow bought SUVs or minivans (if the load was not that big), so car companies dropped towing options on their cars because the volume wasn't there to make it profitable and they didn't have to prepare their car platforms for the towing equipment. It's not like all vehicles have zero tow ability nowadays, for instance the Uplander has a tow rating of 3500 lbs, the Traverse, of 5200 lbs and the Suburban, between 8000 and 9600 lbs. I'm pretty sure the "tree huggers" would have preferred cars to have kept the towing option rather than see the Tahoes and Explorers do the job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sival's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sival reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:42 PM   #17
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

Last night as I was watching SNL, Fusz, the local Saturn dealership network kept advertising that they qualified for cash for clunkers. I think this is good. They are trying to survive and take advantage of what is available. I would like them to stay in business.

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:18 PM   #18
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
so what, even our 4-cylinder saturns are STILL eligible for cash for clunkers, even though some of us have gotten over 40mpg? and not to mention this was mostly aimed towards gas/diesel guzzlers? How counter productive.

But ok.
It means the existing new lineup is eligible for the rebate, not that the older ones are eligible to be traded in.

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #19
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

it's now a moot point, the cash-for-clunkers deal is over

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #20
Sival
Sival will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooler King View Post
it's now a moot point, the cash-for-clunkers deal is over
What source do you have? The latest news I have is that they are trying to pass through a bill to allow 2 more billions for the program, but it's held up a bit in the Senate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sival's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sival reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sival is offline   Reply With Quote