SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
wifeofcore
Administrator
wifeofcore is on a distinguished road

Default Save Saturn in Canada?

A new story entry has been added:

Save Saturn in Canada?

Quote:
On Tuesday, letters were sent to Saturn retailers asking them to join the Penske Automotive Group; however, those invitations were only sent to the 350 retailers located in the United States. The 51 Canadian-based retailers were not included. Penske mentioned to a reporter from the Toronto Star that his first priority as the new owner of Saturn is to review the viability of the Canadian retail network. This uncertainty has already caused one dealership, located in Windsor, Ontario, to close shop.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wifeofcore's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wifeofcore reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wifeofcore is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
mikegreen921
mikegreen921 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Save Saturn in Canada?

Unlike US stores, the canadian stores were offered a buyout consistent to their 2008 sales volume. Some might take the sure thing verse bleeding all summer long and fall til Penske takes over. Thoughts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikegreen921's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikegreen921 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikegreen921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
jpowell17
jpowell17 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I would really hope that Saturn stays in Canada. Our dealership gets phone calls from customers every week just calling to see how our staff is and to make sure we are OK. I can't see why someone would only want the US market when Canada is already rebounding and from what I understand we sold more Saturns last year as well. Our customers are like family and should be seen that way and are just as important as the US customer base. I do feel Penske will be a winner, I just want to be a part of it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpowell17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpowell17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpowell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:41 PM   #4
mr green
mr green is on a distinguished road

It is my hope that Saturn dealerships, as we now know them are mantained in Canada.

john

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr green's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr green reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mr green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:54 PM   #5
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

I hope Saturn stays in Canada too. We drive up to Vancouver and Victoria often. If something happens and I need service or parts, I would like to know that I won't have to tow my VUE back to the US. I think the closest US dealer from Canada is in Bellingham or Everett which is quite a distance when you're on a tow truck.

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chillin05VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chillin05VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
eelfliw
eelfliw is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XE
2002 SL

I'm not so sure about Penske in Canada.

Penske operations in Canada is rather small compared to the US. Yes, it rents trucks. But Smart Canada is not Penske (and Smart started selling cars in Canada before the US).

I don't know the reason, but it's not like Penske doesn't know the Canadian market. The company is in Canada already. But it hasn't actively grown to match his operations south of the border.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eelfliw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eelfliw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eelfliw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:51 PM   #7
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

The article mentioned that Penske would have to fine a small car for the Canadian Saturn market. We already know that Opel/Vauxhall will be exporting to Canada. GM/Penske said Saturn will only get the Aura, Vue, and Outlook.
Penske should go after the Astra for the Canadian market and keep the Saturn dealerships. He might be able to work out a deal with Opel/Vauxhall in 2012 to bring some of their models in as Saturns.

Seems like a no brainer to me, but of course I have no access to the financial and contractual information already in place for this deal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:04 AM   #8
l57
l57 is on a distinguished road

Saturn Canada dealers are craving information. Sales are incredibly slow and they are still in limbo ...not a great atmosphere for employees especially as they watch their counterparts in the USA celebrate...makes it twice as hard. My dealer hasn't heard a thing and the entire staff is wondering what's going on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to l57's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help l57 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
l57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:45 AM   #9
leogag1
leogag1 is on a distinguished road

2009 VUE 3.6L

I think that some water has to flow under the bridge. Everything goes fast now, but remember that GM Canada has NOT filed for bankrupcy or the chapter 11 equivalent. Therefore, the Saturn network is still under the "protection" of GM. This will give time for the Penske group to study the Canadian case in more details. Yes, GM will abandon Saturn in Canada too, but it is not done yet. (At the end of June, most probably.)

Keeping the Astra could be an idea, but probably not the best one, because sales for that car are slow. Even in Quebec City area, where small cars sell like little warm breads (Toyota Yaris, Nissan Versa, Hyundai Accent), the Astra does not make a hit. Underpowered (or simply too heavy), not full efficient enough when compared to competitors, too expensive when compared to similarely sized cars, ingredients are not there to have an "easy to sell" car. In Canada, Saturn would need something like a Peogeot 206 or a Fiat 500.

Me, I get my 2009 VUE today (XR-6 FWD)... I know that I am taking a chance, but at the price it is today (11,000$ less than a RAV4), even if the company disapears in Canada, the name "Saturn" will still exist and the GM dealers will be able to fix it, this paired with a garantee from the Federal Government that the warranty will be honored.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to leogag1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help leogag1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
leogag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #10
Moose1199
Moose1199 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XE

My Saturn dealership closed shop back in February, closest one would be a 90 minute drive. I had to take my Outlook for its last appointment to the Chev dealership in town, no problems. I don't know what all this talk is about a small car for Canada, here where I live there are tons of Outlooks and Vues. Anyways, I love my Outlook, best purchase I've made in a long time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Moose1199's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Moose1199 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Moose1199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:40 PM   #11
Warren
Warren is on a distinguished road

Not sure what is going on but I received a "feelgood" letter from GM Canada yesterday that in simple terms said, "Don't worry, you and your Saturn are going to be looked after, so don't worry now and don't be afraid to go out and buy another Saturn". Interpretations?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Warren's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Warren reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:20 PM   #12
yogi
yogi is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Not sure what is going on but I received a "feelgood" letter from GM Canada yesterday that in simple terms said, "Don't worry, you and your Saturn are going to be looked after, so don't worry now and don't be afraid to go out and buy another Saturn". Interpretations?
where is my letter????? i didnt get one!!!

2008 Outlook XR FWD Red Jewel
Ontario, Canada

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yogi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yogi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #13
mikegreen921

Moose, you should be happy that GM allowed you to get your work done in SJ. The big store 90 minutes away was bought out a year ago, 33 original workers is down to 4. 4 mechanics walked out in a single day, the new setup is the opposite of what Saturn was founded on. Now, the other store which is much smaller in the capital city, has its building up for sale, and they have been lucky to sell 10 cars a month. So, be thankful GM is looking after you. From what I have been hearing it sounds like after the remaining 09's are gone, that could be it. All Saturn stores in Canada received letters and can't order 2010 product, unless they were to be part of the new buying group. That is what I have been hearing. There is some available vehicles in Calgary and Ontario from dealers that have closed.
In addition, the VUE and Outlook are top in class. Much more space in the Outlook verse the Traverse or the Enclave. The VUE is nicer that most small SUV's. Now, next year the new Equinox will blow the VUE away.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mikegreen921 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-13-2009, 07:44 AM   #14
Michel1961
Michel1961 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi View Post
where is my letter????? i didnt get one!!!

Got the same letter. Yours is probably in the mail (are you still under warranty ?) As I indicated in another post, I called the number indicated in the letter and it was made (fairly) clear to me that a few Saturn dealers would remain as long as volume justified it, and a few GM dealers would offer specialized Saturn service ('as long as volume justified it' was implicit). Then, I guess it's Canadian Tire and good luck finding parts for us. I'll turn my dearly beloved XE 07 Aura in before that happens. I'm just not sure a fully loaded Aura, with all its electronic gismos, is the kind of car you take to Canadian Tire for servicing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Michel1961's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Michel1961 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Michel1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:19 AM   #15
cam
cam is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan

The only letter I received was a questionnaire/survey about a recent service appointment that was made for our 2007 ION.
We own 2 Saturns at them moment and have owned several over the lastfew years.
Just out of curiousity I called the dealership yesterday (Saturn Saab Hummer On The Queensway) in Toronto, to enquire what is happening to them and I was informed that (as stated elsewhere in this forum) that GM will continue to manufacture the Saturns for the next few years but did not know how the Penske deal will affect them. She also stated that Samsung will take over the manufacturing after GM????? I didn't even know Samsung was in the car manufacturing business! (I checked the internet and surprisingly, they do manufacture cars). This particular dealership is co-owned by Courtesy Chevrolet.
In spite of the economic situation, I have noticed that GM Canada seems to have plenty of money to run TV commercials about the new and revitilized GM!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #16
steadler
steadler is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel1961 View Post
Then, I guess it's Canadian Tire and good luck finding parts for us. I'll turn my dearly beloved XE 07 Aura in before that happens. I'm just not sure a fully loaded Aura, with all its electronic gismos, is the kind of car you take to Canadian Tire for servicing.
The 07-08-09 Aura,08-09 Malibu and G6 , if I'm not mistaken, share a lot of common mechanical parts. Gm Canada can import them from Saturn USA .Other Gm dealers have may have a hard time dealing with the warranty but maybe not the ability to repair the car since it's similar to other models. They could do the repairs if your paying for them when the warranty is finished.

Some body parts with time maybe hard to find even in a junk yard.

You have to remember that Gm will still build the Aura for two more years or so. I don't think they are going to make many changes and if they do it will be a copy of the Malibu.

The Penske Saturn worries me more because if they start buying models from other builders (re-badged), those parts may be harder to find if these particular models ( based) are not offered by the makers in the US or Canada.

2008 AURA XE 3.5
TECHO GRAY
mfg june '08

Last edited by steadler; 06-13-2009 at 11:55 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to steadler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help steadler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
steadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:54 AM   #17
steadler

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam View Post
In spite of the economic situation, I have noticed that GM Canada seems to have plenty of money to run TV commercials about the new and revitilized GM!
I don't think Gm Canada and Saturn Canada filled for bankruptcy yet, so they must have a certain budget

2008 AURA XE 3.5
TECHO GRAY
mfg june '08

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help steadler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-13-2009, 12:43 PM   #18
mikegreen921

Unfortunately, calling your dealer will not get you anywhere. They will tell you anything that keeps things positive. Yes, GM will continue to build Aura's but unless the Canadian dealers are signed on with Penske they will not be able to order 2010's.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-13-2009, 02:20 PM   #19
cam
cam is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegreen921 View Post
Unfortunately, calling your dealer will not get you anywhere. They will tell you anything that keeps things positive. Yes, GM will continue to build Aura's but unless the Canadian dealers are signed on with Penske they will not be able to order 2010's.
So...
GM will continue to manufacture certain models for however long and then sell to Penske who will then sell to the dealer who will then sell to the consumer?
Seems to me that this will increase the cost since GM will not be selling directly to the dealer anymore. Correct?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:18 PM   #20
steadler

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegreen921 View Post
Calling the dealer is of course useless. So I am not!

As far as 2010 models I believe Saturn Canada is separate company that GM Canada controls.
If Penske does not have the exclusive rights to the North American markets Gm Canada could
possibly sell them in Canada.

Example Penske sell the Smart Car in the US but they are sold in Canada by Smart Canada,
a Division of Mercedes-Benz Canada Inc.

2008 AURA XE 3.5
TECHO GRAY
mfg june '08

REWARD EXCELLENCE!