SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Sky > Sky Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
Revrent
Revrent is on a distinguished road

Default Windscreen

I bought a sky windscreen off of e-bay. Actually I bought the one that included the tinted and clear versions. Easiest install I have ever done and it included the hardware and velcro for the windscreens. The install took about 10 minutes and I was taking my time. Looks and works great.

God bless
John

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Revrent's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Revrent reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Revrent is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2009, 10:58 PM   #2
hAnNibAl_H
Advanced Member
hAnNibAl_H is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default Re: Windscreen

I've heard that changing those out was fairly simple on the skys. Must be nice, haha.

99.5 SL2
Blackberry
135k clock
74k Motor

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hAnNibAl_H's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hAnNibAl_H reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hAnNibAl_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
SilverFox
SilverFox is on a distinguished road

No joke! I bought mine from Windblox off of eBay, and they are very easy to install and use. As usual, gotta hand it to eBay for helping people find what they need. The warranty with the windscreen isn't bad, either--three years. Revrent, what year is your Sky?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SilverFox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SilverFox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SilverFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
RoadIon
Advanced Member
RoadIon will become famous soon enough

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Thanks for the post it is inspirational.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RoadIon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RoadIon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RoadIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
ToledoEngineer
ToledoEngineer is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY Red Line
1992 SL1

Revrent, just out of curiosity, how big of a difference is there with the windscreen? I really have no problem with the noise level on the hwy (windows up, top down) during the summer, but sometimes it'd be nice to have it a little quieter. Heck even with the windows down too, it's not too bad. But I'm curious. I almost wish some company would take a decible meter and record the difference among all possibilites and screens from the driver/passenger ear level.

"Education is the progressive realization of our own ignorance"

1992 SL1: 149k miles
2008 Sky RL: 35k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ToledoEngineer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ToledoEngineer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ToledoEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #6
SC2SkyVue
SC2SkyVue is on a distinguished road

The purpose of the windscreen is to reduce turbulence. Top down "noise" will not likely change much with either the plexiglass or the nylon mesh screen. Got the factory "flyswatter" version and it does work as intended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bh6e92.jpg (184.8 KB, 30 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2SkyVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2SkyVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2SkyVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:01 AM   #7
ToledoEngineer
ToledoEngineer is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY Red Line
1992 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2SkyVue View Post
The purpose of the windscreen is to reduce turbulence. Top down "noise" will not likely change much with either the plexiglass or the nylon mesh screen. Got the factory "flyswatter" version and it does work as intended.
Turbulence is the condition that creates noise. So if you reduce turbulence, you reduce noise. There is very little noise in a Laminar Flow, as everything is basically going where it logically should. So only when you get into a Turbulence region, does the sound level really increase.

"Education is the progressive realization of our own ignorance"

1992 SL1: 149k miles
2008 Sky RL: 35k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ToledoEngineer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ToledoEngineer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ToledoEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:19 PM   #8
SC2SkyVue
SC2SkyVue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToledoEngineer View Post
Turbulence is the condition that creates noise. So if you reduce turbulence, you reduce noise.
The wind restrictors inhibit wind coming into the cockpit from the back so there must be some level of sound suppression involved. Still, not a "quiet" ride with the top down... just a LOT of fun. !

2007 SKY RL
2004 VUE RL
1996 SC2CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2SkyVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2SkyVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2SkyVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:37 AM   #9
SilverFox
SilverFox is on a distinguished road

SC2SkyVue:

I totally agree. With the Windblox windscreen I got, though, there is quite a difference in the noise, too. It's definitely down to where I can finally hear my wife talk to me, even on the freeway. It's been my favorite sunny-weather purchase so far, that's for sure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SilverFox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SilverFox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SilverFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:58 PM   #10
ernie
ernie is on a distinguished road

2009 SKY Red Line
2008 Astra XR
Dizzy Re: Windscreen

I purchased the etched, led version from GM Rosdsters, works great, looks really neat when brakes go on. The best part, I can ride with the top down and not hold my hat so it doesn't blow off. The downside, it has to be removed almost every time you put the top up. IF YOU LEAVE IT ON, IT WILL SWELL THE CLOTH TOP AND YOU WILL HAVE A HECK OF A TIME OPENING YOUR TRUNK!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ernie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ernie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #11
jr1
jr1 is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY Red Line

Kind of a late reply but.... But I made my own custom of optical grade acrylic sheet. Is is similar looking to the GM and other "solids". BUT it installs entirely inside the vehicle using heavy duty velcro on the rear bulkhead (notched over that little "hump"). So it does not interfere with the trunk lid or the top and I have never actually removed it since I installed it except for cleaning. Regarding warranty - if anything ever goes wrong with it, the manufacturer will make me a new one LOL!!!

Seriously, all you need is a piece of acrylic sheet, some heavy duty self adhesive velcro (with pastic compatible adhesive for the unpainted black parts of the bulkhead so it doesn't go gooey after a while) (3M), some self adhesive bumpers, piece of carboard and hard board to make a template (card first to shape and test fit, transfer to hardboard for router template), plastic polish or canning to finish the edge, and a router table. Tap Plastics and Lowes for materials. About $20 plus my free labor. I was going to get it laser etched for another $20 but never got round to it.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jr1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jr1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:44 PM   #12
adcsantiago
adcsantiago is on a distinguished road

Heart Re: Windscreen

I too purchased a windscreen on eBay. It looks great!! Install took all of 10 minutes and I only paid $70 for it. I did notice that closing the trunk with it installed does require more muscle. It also sometime makes opening the trunk a little difficult but I have no regrets. Worth the investment.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adcsantiago's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adcsantiago reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adcsantiago is offline   Reply With Quote