SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
wifeofcore
Administrator
wifeofcore is on a distinguished road

Default Could Magnas Unique Business Model Lure Penske into Bringing the Astra Back to Lif

A new story entry has been added:

Could Magna’s Unique Business Model Lure Penske into Bringing the Astra Back to Life?

Quote:
Magna and its partner Russian bank Sberbank Rossii will own the majority of Opel once the deal is complete in the next few months. Despite having a concrete deal in place, Magna executives have already released information on a business strategy they hope to pursue. It is unique to the auto industry and could give Penske the opportunity to continue producing an Astra-like vehicle for Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wifeofcore's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wifeofcore reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wifeofcore is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
thatjerryguy
thatjerryguy will become famous soon enoughthatjerryguy will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Attention Re: Could Magna

I certainly hope this is true and Penske takes advantage of it. I'd much rather see a future Saturn midsize built on the Epsilon II platform than some Chinese, Malaysian or Indian one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thatjerryguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thatjerryguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thatjerryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
unit731
unit731 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Could Magna

Nice thought.

But way too complicated for Penske. Saturn has no manufacturing facilities. So then they have to go out and lease a factory? Costs start to go up - and then the end product is too expensive.

Much easier to just rebadge a car not here yet. And even with that, someone has to pay to 'federalize' the proposed car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unit731's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unit731 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unit731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
AstraNorth
AstraNorth is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

"I BELIEVE...I BELIEVE"....that at least Canada will see the Astra live on.

It's it great that we all can say whatever we want....and we have NO idea what we are saying or what is going to happen...at least in Canada. I think we will see the possible end of Saturn...but...the birth of Opel. I don't care, as long as I have someone to do my warranty work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraNorth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraNorth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:56 PM   #5
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Buick is getting the astra. GM isn't going to let penske sell the same car to compete against them

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:47 AM   #6
stevedj_98
stevedj_98 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-seriesguy View Post
Buick is getting the astra. GM isn't going to let penske sell the same car to compete against them
What about Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix? Or Saab 9-2X and Subaru WRX?

2008 Saturn Aura XE
1995 Ford Contour ALL ELECTRIC CONVERSION

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stevedj_98's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stevedj_98 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stevedj_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:10 PM   #7
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedj_98 View Post
AFAIK, Buick will be getting the Pontota Vibrix. Saab's future is less certain at this point.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:44 PM   #8
s-seriesguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedj_98 View Post
Neither of them look exactly a like elither. Unless penske changes up the saturn version so that it is not a direct rebade I don't see it happening, But who knows

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-16-2009, 08:57 PM   #9
AstraNorth

2008 Astra XR

HOLD THE BUS.....Penske only bought Saturn in the U.S....."RIGHT"????
So couldn't Magna take over Saturn in Canada, selling whatever STUFF Penske decides to sell, as well as some Opel cars????

Maybe I haven't been listening, but if Saturn dealers decide not to go with Penske...THAT'S IT???

Could...."OH...let's say"....a KIA dealer buy into Penskes Saturn and sell Saturns and KIA???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help AstraNorth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-16-2009, 11:30 PM   #10
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: Could Magnas Unique Business Model Lure Penske into Bringing the Astra Back to Li

Unless Penske gets more engine choices, and possibly more body styles the Astra will fail again in the US. The mid size Insignia would be a good choice to compete against the Malibu in the US market.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:45 PM   #11
s-seriesguy

Default Re: Could Magnas Unique Business Model Lure Penske into Bringing the Astra Back to Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
Unless Penske gets more engine choices, and possibly more body styles the Astra will fail again in the US. The mid size Insignia would be a good choice to compete against the Malibu in the US market.
The Insignia is supposed to be released here as the Buick Regal

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-17-2009, 07:39 AM   #12
AstraNorth

2008 Astra XR

I was down in San Fransico a month ago and seemed like every other SUV was an Outlook....and lots of Vues.....maybe 2 Astras. Here in Manitoba you see a few Outlooks...lots of Vues....and more and more Astras. I guess it depends on where you live. Maybe we should not sell Outlooks here as they don't seem as popular as the Astra......BUT, NO....lets stop selling the Astra. It just doesn't seem rignt.

I agree that if you gave the public the choices that Astra has....it would become a top selling car.....that's what GM is afraid of. I am pretty sure GM makes it decisions by using a dart board....ha ha

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-17-2009, 02:14 PM   #13
Bwolf
Bwolf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraNorth View Post
I am pretty sure GM makes it decisions by using a dart board....ha ha

I'm pretty sure none of the top Honchos at GM could hit a dart board.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bwolf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bwolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:46 PM   #14
page2171
page2171 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraNorth View Post
I am pretty sure GM makes it decisions by using a dart board....ha ha
I was thinking they used a Magic 8 Ball...but you could be correct about the dart board.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to page2171's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help page2171 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
page2171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:46 PM   #15
PhilP10
PhilP10 is on a distinguished road

Highly unlikely. Part of the Opel deal was that Magna could not sell any of the models stateside (or in China) hinting at GM's intentions for selling the Insignia and Astra Saloon as Buicks.

Magna could just sell them as Opels in Canada..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PhilP10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PhilP10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PhilP10 is offline   Reply With Quote