SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2009, 11:55 PM   #1
cam
cam is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Default Penske and Saturn

OK. I understand Penske bought or is about to buy Saturn. I also heard that GM will continue to manufacture some of the cars for Penske over the next couple of years. What I don't comprehend is how in the world does this make any economic sense? GM has to make a profit selling to Penske and Penske has to make a profit selling to the dealers and last but not least, the dealer has to make a profit selling to us!
I could understand if Penske bought the manufacturing plants but this just doesn't make any sense unless they intend to bump up the price of vehicles which of course would be unacceptable in this economy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2009, 03:30 AM   #2
Rhea
Rhea is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Penske and Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam View Post
OK. I understand Penske bought or is about to buy Saturn. I also heard that GM will continue to manufacture some of the cars for Penske over the next couple of years. What I don't comprehend is how in the world does this make any economic sense? GM has to make a profit selling to Penske and Penske has to make a profit selling to the dealers and last but not least, the dealer has to make a profit selling to us!
I could understand if Penske bought the manufacturing plants but this just doesn't make any sense unless they intend to bump up the price of vehicles which of course would be unacceptable in this economy.
Well, I guess it shows that Penske is convinced that he will succeed where GM mismanaged badly. Btw, GM obviously sold Saturn at a considerable loss.

http://se-vehicle2.blogspot.com/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rhea's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rhea reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:15 AM   #3
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

I think I read recently that the whole Penske purchase was in the tune of $100-$200 Million from GM.

There are most likely UAW contracts that need to be fulfilled until 2011, hence the reason why GM will continue to supply the Outlook, VUE, and Aura (These are the only 3 Saturn models that will be built for the next 2 years) until the 2011 expiration.

It has been documented both in the news and on this site; that the Astra is dead, as well as the Sky. No more importing of the Astra from Belgium, and the Sky was built in Wilmington; which is permanently shutting down after 62 years of operation.

So if you look at it from this regard, it DOES make sense, in the fact of fulfilling contractual obligations, while at the same time, gives Penske the opportunity to design and get manufacturing footholds in place, whereever those are going to be...since he has the Dealership network saved and 13K people to work with now.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
gary p
gary p is on a distinguished road

Think about it this way. GM has already invested in development and tooling for the 3 models in question. They are predicting a slow climb in overall sales in the US over the next few years so they they have to retain a little more production capacity than they have an immediate need for. Why not get some incremental revenue off the old investment as long as you have the capacity and there is still substantial parts commonality? They don't have to spend any on marketing or spend any on development of the next generation Saturns so they can sell them relatively cheap. They might even realize some savings on the "GM" models in the same plant due to greater economies of scale for the common parts. With a relatively clean-sheet in terms of "legacy costs" GM should be able to manufacture cost-effectively. Developing new product is the real money-pit. On the manufacturing side, the more you can build off the same platform the better. It drives your per-unit costs down.

Last edited by gary p; 06-17-2009 at 05:45 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gary p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gary p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gary p is offline   Reply With Quote