SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Saturn Retailer Feels Abandonded by General Motors

A new feeditems entry has been added:

Saturn Retailer Feels Abandonded by General Motors

Quote:
Blackwell Thomas from TheSouthern.com: Like on its celestial namesake, there soon won't be much life at the Saturn of Carbondale car dealership as the company prepares to shut down later this month. At its peak, the auto dealer would have about 150 vehicles for sale on its lot. On Wednesday there were three.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Saturn Retailer Feels Abandonded by General Motors

Quote:
"It's because of what they've done to the American people. They want another $30 billion in taxpayer money and they can't buy us (dealerships) out." Auto parts magnate Roger Penske is in talks to purchase the Saturn brand but, even if he does, Shemwell said he wants no part of the resurrected company. "I bought a franchise for a company that made cars in Spring Hill, Tenn.," he said. "If he (Penske) buys Saturn there is no way the company will be American. Ford is not going to buy it. GM doesn't want it. Chrysler's bankrupt, too. There's no one left." Shemwell added, "I didn't buy a foreign car franchise. I bought an American one."
Let me be the first to say that this is pure speculation , Saturn selling foreign brands under the Saturn logo. (OK, I've been saying this for quite a while but others always say it is speculation...) Oh yea, and this is exciting!

It is a shame that so many dealers are taking it on the chin but I can't see bailing them out at all. They made tons of money all along trading in at black-book wholesale rough and selling for full retail.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:36 PM   #3
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

Glad to see Charlie posting both sides of the story. I also feel like I will never spend another dime on a GM product...at least a new one. I have about $3K in GM card earnings, but it feels like I would be better off just buying a used Nissan, Toyota, Honda, or other brand.

I'm tired of the BS and how horribly GM has been run. There was never any need for GM to be at this state, but you had idiots like Bob Lutz and others in charge of the brands and the company.

I have zero faith in GM as a company and although I wish Penske well and hope Saturn survives I have no loyalty or feelings towards the brand.

Loved my SL2. Love the Ion still, but that's about it. I can't afford to put money or risk another car purchase in a company that is run like crap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

I used to love GM. In fact, I would swear by them but now, no way. To dump Saturn and Pontiac but keep Buick? Only people who bu Buicks are people in their 70's and 80's who probably won't buy another car in thier life. People my age (35) don't want Buicks when we get older. It would just remind us that e're our grandparents age. I for one would love a Pontiac or Saturn. And why keep GMC truck? All GMC is an uplevel Chevy. Too bad Saturn, Pontiac and Opel couldn't form their own company. GM blew it for me, I'm going to Nissan now, which was always my number 2 company as you can tell by my Altima and Titan.

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chillin05VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chillin05VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:55 PM   #5
Jaseball
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin05VUE View Post
I used to love GM. In fact, I would swear by them but now, no way. To dump Saturn and Pontiac but keep Buick? Only people who bu Buicks are people in their 70's and 80's who probably won't buy another car in thier life. People my age (35) don't want Buicks when we get older. It would just remind us that e're our grandparents age. I for one would love a Pontiac or Saturn. And why keep GMC truck? All GMC is an uplevel Chevy. Too bad Saturn, Pontiac and Opel couldn't form their own company. GM blew it for me, I'm going to Nissan now, which was always my number 2 company as you can tell by my Altima and Titan.

My best friend just bought a 2006 350Z with 22K miles for about $16.5K. It's pretty much in mint condition, manual, silver, and a damn nice car.

I think I'm going Nissan as well or a used Japanese car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-14-2009, 08:58 PM   #6
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin05VUE View Post
Becuase Buick and GMC are profitable brands that is why. Just becuase people think that Buicks are only sold to old people and in limited amounds, that is far from the case globally.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:03 PM   #7
Saturnfan2004
Saturnfan2004 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2006 ION-2 Sedan

For now I'm sticking with Saturn and will continue to try to "Buy American" and hopefully GM will find a way to make a comeback.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturnfan2004's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturnfan2004 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturnfan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:05 PM   #8
eelfliw
eelfliw is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XE
2002 SL

Quote:
"I'll tell you this, and please quote me, I will never buy another GM (product)," he said. "It's because of what they've done to the American people. They want another $30 billion in taxpayer money and they can't buy us (dealerships) out."
Though I feel badly for the dealerships who felt they got screwed, I don't agree with the quote above.

That quote just demonstrate a culture of entitlement.

People who enter into a business relationship need to realize that losing money and losing the investment is a very realistic possibility. If businesses aren't run well, it will go bankrupt.

Tax payers already paid billions in bail-out money. To ask for more to bail out dealers, who willfully entered into a business relationship with GM without deceit or coercion, fully aware of the risks of running a business, is asking too much.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eelfliw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eelfliw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eelfliw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:05 PM   #9
Jaseball
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-seriesguy View Post
Becuase Buick and GMC are profitable brands that is why. Just becuase people think that Buicks are only sold to old people and in limited amounds, that is far from the case globally.

So profitable they require GM to go bankrupt, take billions from taxpayers, and dump off brands they screwed over with the people who invested in those brand's cars.

If that's profitable, then I'll just declare bankruptcy directly and not mess over the taxpayers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-14-2009, 09:07 PM   #10
Jaseball
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnfan2004 View Post
For now I'm sticking with Saturn and will continue to try to "Buy American" and hopefully GM will find a way to make a comeback.
Gotta love the 4 post GM cheerleader.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-14-2009, 09:11 PM   #11
s-seriesguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaseball View Post
So profitable they require GM to go bankrupt, take billions from taxpayers, and dump off brands they screwed over with the people who invested in those brand's cars.

If that's profitable, then I'll just declare bankruptcy directly and not mess over the taxpayers.
Aww Mr. Anti GM because they got rid of the Saturn brand. Boo hoo. Go get your revenge and buy your nissan that will show them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-14-2009, 09:21 PM   #12
Jaseball
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-seriesguy View Post
Aww Mr. Anti GM because they got rid of the Saturn brand. Boo hoo. Go get your revenge and buy your nissan that will show them.

It's got nothing to do with showing anyone, anything. I've supported Saturn/GM since 1992 and GM has pretty much said Saturn needs to die and if not for Penske or some other buyer seeing value in the name and brand (which GM is obviously too stupid to see) the Saturn brand would be over by the end of this year.

I tried for as long as possible to support domestic automakers and I know I am one of the very few people in my social circle to do so. It's time for me to smile, throw in the towel, and join the crowd.

If GM doesn't support their own brand and tosses the entire brand out to die don't sit there thinking it's people like me who have a problem. I've been loyal to a fault and it's only hurt one person - me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-14-2009, 09:23 PM   #13
jhampsten
jhampsten is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
A new feeditems entry has been added:

Saturn Retailer Feels Abandonded by General Motors
I'm sorry but as a person who has dealt with Saturn of Carbondale I say good riddance to them. and this story proves ladies and gents that the owners of Carbondale didn't care one bit about the customer. I bet that fast forward a few months and expect his dealerships in St louis, and Cape Girardeau to close down as well if he feels this bad about this. All I have to say to those in Southern Illinois, that like saturns, make the drive to Saturn of Evansville or Terre Haute, They are a lot better than Carbondale ever was. avoid the Lou Fusz Saturn dealer network like a plague. (BTW this dealership was not a Fusz dealer), but the same guy who owned Saturn of West county and Saturn of South county owned Carbondale. This is the same owner who complained 3 years ago to MODOT over a construction project blocking access to his dealership. in fact he nearly sued to stop work on it or have modot pay to move him to a location that was not effected. Now does this sound like a Saturn dealership group who really cared about nothing but the dollar???? I completely understand if you want to delete this post, but that was just a little rant.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhampsten's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhampsten reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhampsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:30 PM   #14
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

I'm sure most all of the original Saturn owners feel the same way as this Saturn retailer. It's was sad seeing Saturn lose it's original direction and mission. Like watching an aging parent with alzheimer's.

Maybe Jill will write a book telling us the real Saturn story...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:33 PM   #15
Jaseball
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
I'm sure most all of the original Saturn owners feel the same way as this Saturn retailer. It's was sad seeing Saturn lose it's original direction and mission. Like watching an aging parent with alzheimer's.

I would believe Jill is clueless. She had no real decision making power in the GM/Saturn relationship and she couldn't control what little power she had to give a clear direction. She was just a figurehead, cheerleader, and useless exec and Saturn's fate wouldn't have changed one bit if she had never been there from the start.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-14-2009, 09:36 PM   #16
jhampsten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post

As a person who's owned a Saturn since 1993 I can agree that when GM changed it's movement with Saturn that it was the end of the road. However do I feel like Saturn is dead, gone, and forever destroyed???? HELL no! Will we ever see Saturns out of Spring Hill again, most likely not (Although GM I'm sure Penske would be willing to talk about the plant) I feel that a new renaissance at Saturn is coming in the next few years under Roger Penske.

And I have to correct myself on the statements of the owners of Saturn of Carbondale, it is NOT the folks out of St Louis. I am completely sorry on that mistake. However that still does not make me change my opinion of Saturn of Carbondale and how they feel about this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jhampsten reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-14-2009, 09:50 PM   #17
arynjon
arynjon is on a distinguished road

Just a little FYI on this dealer. They were once a part of the same dealer that owned the South County and West County St. Louis dealers. But, it was sold to different owners less than two years ago. They are closing because GMAC pulled their floorplan (which isn't mentioned in the article).

Not that I really liked dealing with them even under the new owners, but it is still a tough blow for the 'new' owners.

I was seriously considering buying a Saturn Astra, but I won't be now because it would be a nearly 100 mile drive to get service now that the Carbondale store is closing. Nice car, but I need to have closer service options (for warranty work).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to arynjon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help arynjon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
arynjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:57 PM   #18
jhampsten

Quote:
Originally Posted by arynjon View Post
Just a little FYI on this dealer. They were once a part of the same dealer that owned the South County and West County St. Louis dealers. But, it was sold to different owners less than two years ago. They are closing because GMAC pulled their floorplan (which isn't mentioned in the article).

Not that I really liked dealing with them even under the new owners, but it is still a tough blow for the 'new' owners.

I was seriously considering buying a Saturn Astra, but I won't be now because it would be a nearly 100 mile drive to get service now that the Carbondale store is closing. Nice car, but I need to have closer service options (for warranty work).
Ahhh, Now I understand. See I thought that Saturn of C'dale was owned by SC and WC Saturn.. I hadn't known that they had sold them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-14-2009, 10:43 PM   #19
s-seriesguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaseball View Post
It's got nothing to do with showing anyone, anything. I've supported Saturn/GM since 1992 and GM has pretty much said Saturn needs to die and if not for Penske or some other buyer seeing value in the name and brand (which GM is obviously too stupid to see) the Saturn brand would be over by the end of this year.

I tried for as long as possible to support domestic automakers and I know I am one of the very few people in my social circle to do so. It's time for me to smile, throw in the towel, and join the crowd.

If GM doesn't support their own brand and tosses the entire brand out to die don't sit there thinking it's people like me who have a problem. I've been loyal to a fault and it's only hurt one person - me.
It's called making descisions for the viability of the overall corporation. It doesn't make sense to keep around a brand that has never been profitable or been a big seller lately. Why invest into something that is not going to give any return? For the fan base of saturn owners that has been on the decline for a while? Were you planning on buying a Saturn in the near future anyways?

Everyone wants to say it was a dumb decision for GM to get rid of the brand but why? Their current products suck, and even before GM talked about getting rid of the brand nothing new or exciting was expected to come in the future anyways. The same goes for the dealers, they are nothing like they used to be. The Saturn that was once known no longer exists and has not for a while. So what in store for Saturn to really be a successful brand to GM? Nothing

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-15-2009, 07:37 PM   #20
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Buick was kept because the Chinese market got better cars and those are just starting to come down the pike for North America. The Ep-II Lacrosse will be the first to appear in a matter of days, followed in MY 2011 by the Chinese Regal and a yet-to-be-named 'baby' Buick. If GM can find the right identity and spokesperson to convey what the 21st century Buick should be (and that's a big 'if'), it will be OK in the long term and might even attract some conquest buyers.

I don't care for Buick much, but I'm not going to badmouth it. They were protected in the new GM and Saturn, along with Pontiac, was not. I'm very happy with my Nissan, so Jaseball if that's where you want to go for your next car, that's fine by me. GM isn't going to get sleepless nights because of our feelings for cancelled brands.

As for GMC, it's a pure profit center. Sure GMCs are gussied up Chevrolets with premium trim in the same way that Mercurys are plusher Fords with waterfall grilles, but both make money for their parent companies that is sorely needed.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote