SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2009, 08:04 AM   #1
glueguy
glueguy is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default how do I prep to respray clear coat?

I've got a 96 SL2 where just the pillar trim has clear coat peel. Since these unscrew so easily, I want to take them off and just give a quick rattle can clear coat spray. Not looking for show quality, but want to improve over the current.

What is the best way to deal with the remaining clear, and especially the transition area where the original is peeling?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Saturn paint peeling.jpg (124.3 KB, 51 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to glueguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help glueguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
glueguy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
Mark T.
Mark T. is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1996 SL1
Default Re: how do I prep to respray clear coat?

You have to repaint it. The paint has already been damaged by the sun. It will look terrible if you put clear right over it.

First wash it, then Wet Sand it with 320. After that wash it again, then wipe it down with wax and grease remover. The put 3 to 4 coats of SEM Flexiable primer. Wet sand it with 400. Then wash and wipe down again with wax and grease remover. Now you are ready for the color coat and clear. Go to a Auto Paint Supply Store for the paint. You should be able to get everything in rattle cans. Ask for 2 stage Rattle Can Clear, if they don't have it you can get it here http://www.coastairbrush.com/products.asp?cat=610

1999 Saturn SL2/145,000/Auto Tranny

Paint Monster Airbrushing
www.PaintMonsterAirbrushing.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mark T.'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mark T. reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mark T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:10 PM   #3
MHnTX
MHnTX is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
Idea Re: how do I prep to respray clear coat?

If you are just looking for a quick touch up... and the paint color is still in tack and not down to the primer... and you want to stay under $10, what I have done -- pros will be slamming me for this -- is use compressed air or go to the high pressure spray wash to remove any loose clear coat, wet sand lightly with 600 grit, clean the area well with a lint free clothe and mask it off, and then spray with plain old Rust-Oleum clear spray from Home Depot or Lowes.

It isn't the professional way as Mark T. explained but it is usually passable on an older car until and if you decide to do it right. I have gotten very good results and it certainly always looks a lot better than leaving it as is and it is also dirt cheap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MHnTX's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MHnTX reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MHnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
eyewarts
eyewarts is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

i have the same color sl2, and mine did the same thing as yours. i scoured the local boneyard, which has 40 or 50 saturns, and found 4 cars the same color as mine. They all had peeled on the pillar trim and rear wing. I ended up getting the trim from a dark blue car, that had no clear coat peel at all. $20 and 5 minutes later they were mine. I had NAPA mix me some paint and clear coat in a couple rattle cans. I washed the pieces and dried them. I then used preps all on them to clean them. I then lightly sanded them and washed and preps alled them again. I then painted them, 3 light coats, and clear coated them. That was a couple years ago, and they still look good. I spent about $50 total. I figured it was easier to paint ones with clear coat intact, rather than try and remove the rest of the peeling clear coat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eyewarts's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eyewarts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eyewarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
glueguy

1996 SL2

Thanks, guys. This car is probably going to a neighbor boy for college, so I want to do something but not put a lot into it. I'll try the cheap route - what's the worst that happens, I just sand it and start over again with color then clear, or just carry the pieces to a body shop.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help glueguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-07-2010, 11:11 PM   #6
deedeedum
deedeedum is on a distinguished road

i actually love the idea of the rustoleum paint except for the probability of never finding the right color match. for the cheapest route though, you've def got the game plan down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to deedeedum's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help deedeedum reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
deedeedum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:39 AM   #7
Dr B
Dr B is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
1993 SL2

Match "Rust-Oleum clear spray "
It could easily happen !

Have A Great Day , it is YOUR choice !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr B's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr B reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:19 PM   #8
glueguy

1996 SL2

Just to follow up, using a generic clear spray from Lowes Depot (not sure which bramd it was) worked fine on the sections that had not been without clearcoat for a long time. The places where the paint was faded didn't look good. Went to NAPA to have them make a spray can of the color, did a light sand then color, then wet sand then clear and it looked ok. Much better than it had been, and perfectly fine for a $1500 car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!