SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
wifeofcore
Administrator
wifeofcore is on a distinguished road

Default Workers at the Spring Hill plant Face a Tough Decision

A new story entry has been added:

Workers at the Spring Hill plant Face a Tough Decision

Quote:
Employees at the Spring Hill plant, former home to Saturn, face a tough decision in the coming month. By July 24th, they must decide whether or not to accept a buyout package that is being offered by GM. The Spring Hill plant currently manufactures the Chevrolet Traverse; however, production of the vehicles will stop in November. On the day GM filed for bankruptcy, they also announced that production of the Traverse would be moving to Lansing, Michigan.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wifeofcore's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wifeofcore reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wifeofcore is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Workers at the Spring Hill plant Face a Tough Decision

Some money is better than no money, which is what they'll have if they wait.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
red96
red96 is on a distinguished road

There is alot more to this story for the employees to consider, today GM told the governor to put the new GM small car in Spring Hill it will cost Tennessee $200,000,000. in upfront money. This now put the pressure on the state of Tennessee for the plant to remain GM. This could set the stage for the return of Saturn to Spring Hill and all those GM $30. an hour employees out on the street with out jobs and no where to go. This make that buyout look real good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to red96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help red96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
red96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:05 PM   #4
stevedj_98
stevedj_98 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

More on what Tennessee governor Bredesen had to say about GM blackmailing the state to manufacturer it's small car at Spring Hill, TN. I guess we will have to see what the other states come up with as far as incentives:

Bredesen: GM's $200M request to save Spring Hill 'not feasible'
Governor says state can't afford incentive
By Bonna Johnson and Chas Sisk GANNETT TENNESSEE June 12, 2009

General Motors may make a decision by month's end on which of three idled plants will build a new small car for the automaker, but Gov. Phil Bredesen said it will take $200 million or more for Spring Hill's factory to stay in the game and Tennessee doesn't have that kind of cash.

"This is for them all about front-end money," Bredesen said Thursday, a day after meeting privately with GM officials in Washington along with Tennessee congressional leaders. GM also has met with a congressional delegation from Michigan, and the Detroit Free Press reported that several of that state's lawmakers said they'd consider providing incentives to win GM's small car project.

"They don't care about tax credits and those other kinds of things," Bredesen said at an impromptu news conference. "It certainly was a new look for me at how they're approaching this thing, which is absolutely, 'Tell me how big of a check you're going to write.' "

Although the request for a cash payment may dim Spring Hill's chances of survival, Bredesen said, state officials will "do some serious thinking about how we respond to their request."

GM Chief Executive Officer Fritz Henderson said the carmaker has 12 criteria for choosing among three idled sites Spring Hill, Orion Township, Mich., and Janesville, Wis. for production of a new small car. He didn't list the requirements, though.

"There are no surprises there," Henderson said. "We just have to run our process."

Bredesen said he and others met for 90 minutes with at least three of the carmaker's top officials, including GM North America President Troy Clarke, the company's director of manufacturing operations and the head of government relations.

"Frankly, the numbers that they were talking about are well outside of what I think we can do with the budget situation that we have. This is not a year in which I've got a spare couple of hundred million dollars from the rainy day fund to use for something like this, so we're going to have to do some serious thinking about how we respond to their request."

2008 Saturn Aura XE
1995 Ford Contour ALL ELECTRIC CONVERSION

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stevedj_98's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stevedj_98 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stevedj_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:52 PM   #5
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Bredesen and Corker were all for the state to give close to $600 million in tax breaks, incentives, and property for VW. I am sure with these two clowns in office that could care less about GM, it is not going to happen for Spring Hill. It is kind of dumb that is is all coming down to politics, not based upon which plant has the technology and capability for new products. If that was the case Spring Hill is the leader among the other two.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
SaturnRaycer
SaturnRaycer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
More on what Tennessee governor Bredesen had to say about GM blackmailing the state to manufacturer it's small car at Spring Hill, TN. I guess we will have to see what the other states come up with as far as incentives:
Blackmail is an appropriate word. Bribery also comes to mind. Usually it's companies paying bribes to foreign governments to do business in the country. Now GM is taking a page from the professional sports business model, "buy/build me a new stadium on the taxpayer's dime or I'll move".

Rex
2008 Astra XR
5 dr, 5 spd, sport package
Black Sapphire

If you're going to wave, use all your fingers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnRaycer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnRaycer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnRaycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:18 PM   #7
stevedj_98

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-seriesguy View Post
Bredesen and Corker were all for the state to give close to $600 million in tax breaks, incentives, and property for VW. I am sure with these two clowns in office that could care less about GM, it is not going to happen for Spring Hill. It is kind of dumb that is is all coming down to politics, not based upon which plant has the technology and capability for new products. If that was the case Spring Hill is the leader among the other two.
Please, there is a BIG difference between writing a $200M check TODAY to a bankrupt GM, and $600M in tax breaks, incentives, and property for VW over the NEXT 30 YEARS!

Spring Hill is 20 years old, the VW plant is brand new, state of the art, environmental friendly.

Politics? Bredesen is a Democrat and Corker is a Republican. I think they both have the best interests of the citizens of Tennessee at heart.

Perhaps, we can hope GM will dump the Spring Hill plant and Penske might be able to pick it up cheap, find the polymer molds in the storage room and start manufacturing Saturns there again. Or the Nissan folks 15 miles away in Franklin and Smyrna, TN will take it over and build their electric car there.

2008 Saturn Aura XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help stevedj_98 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-12-2009, 11:15 PM   #8
SaturnIONSLVUE
Advanced Member
SaturnIONSLVUE is on a distinguished road

HOW MUCH DID THE TENN GOV GIVE GM TO UPGRADE THE PLANT FOR THE Chevy Traverse? I AM SURE TENN DOES NOT WANT TO BE SCREWED AGAIN BY GM!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnIONSLVUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnIONSLVUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnIONSLVUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 01:08 AM   #9
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Posturing like this really makes me lose whatever little respect I had left for GM.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 01:53 AM   #10
dennis marshall
dennis marshall is on a distinguished road

I stopped in at my Saturn dealer today to say hello. I have to say that their spirits are higher knowing of the impending sale to Mr. Penske. I for one am DELIGHTED that the bean counters at GM will no longer be around to mess up Saturn! So what does this have to do with Spring Hill? Once again it seems that GM is up to their typical way of doing things. Maybe just maybe GM will "throw" in the Spring Hill plant when the papers are signed. If Mr. Penske chooses the right cars for Saturn after the Aura, Vue & Outlook have finished the current run Saturn could be very successfull. Maybe Saturn will not be quite what it was when it started out but to end up as a profitable car company outside of GM would really stick to the bean counters. Spring Hill did a good job on my SL 1 -ok I did have that cracked head problem and an even better job on 2007 ION 2. I am rooting for Spring Hill and btw didn't GM invest a lot of money in that plant ? If so why are they hitting up the state government? Sounds like a shakedown to me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dennis marshall's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dennis marshall reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dennis marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:51 AM   #11
Cincy Saturn
Cincy Saturn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by red96 View Post
There is alot more to this story for the employees to consider, today GM told the governor to put the new GM small car in Spring Hill it will cost Tennessee $200,000,000. in upfront money. This now put the pressure on the state of Tennessee for the plant to remain GM. This could set the stage for the return of Saturn to Spring Hill and all those GM $30. an hour employees out on the street with out jobs and no where to go. This make that buyout look real good.
HMMM if you take $200,000,000 and divide that by $30/ per hour I get 6,666,667 hours.

If I divide that by 2,000 yours per job per year I get 3,334 jobs.

So if the State of Tenn takes all of wages paid 100% from the 3,000 +/- workers for the first year it all works out financially.

Lets say they spread it out over time so the workers do not have to work second jobs like a college student. If the state of Tenn takes 33% of their wages for the next 5 years that will work financially. [Gotta pay investors back for the $200 million dollar loan by charging interest]. And 5 years will be about the length of a production run so it works out nice.

That is still pretty steep taking $10 for the loan out of every $30 you earn. They still owe taxes, federal, employment, state, county, city, sales, gasoline, etc so that will take half of the original $30 so you are left with giving them $5 [ 30-15-10= 5]in buying power... less than minimum wage in Tenn. Oh and Minimum wage will give you an earned income bonus check each year.

So what if we spread this out over Ten (10) years like a college loan. We can take 25% of the $30 per hour, $7.50,
to pay back the loan. This would put them on par with minimum wage I think, or close to it. But they still would not have a annual $10,000+ bonus check called Earned Income from the IRS so this is not really going to work.

So we can go with 20%/ $6.00 per hour for 20 years...
But 20 years is to far a period of time in automotive years.
No car company can insure they will even be around in 20 years. Just look at where Saturn was 20 years ago...

I just don't see how you can pay for a $200,000,000 loan off of the wages paid to a spring hill Worker.

The dipstick for the 710 fluid says "ADD"...Where do you buy 710 fluid ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cincy Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cincy Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cincy Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:20 AM   #12
stevedj_98

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy Saturn View Post
If the state of Tenn takes 33% of their wages for the next 5 years that will work financially.

LOL--But just remember that currently, there is NO personal state income tax paid in the state of Tennessee!

2008 Saturn Aura XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-13-2009, 09:01 AM   #13
scotydoc
scotydoc is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
2009 Astra XE

Also as history lesson; Springhill was selected for some other reasons.
Right to work state.
Low energy costs (TVA non-profit)
Tax a abatements
Training equipment paid for by the state of Tennessee.
and on it goes. Also Michigan's Village of School craft in St. Joe county ( on US-131) was in the final running as well, but could not match the incentives offered by Tennessee. But when the incentives run out then what ? Example is the two Hydramatic plants in St. Joe county. Received a 48% tax incentive for 14 years to build the plants. This was not renewed after the term expired and the Constantine site was closed, Three Rivers was sold to American Axial. The Three Rivers product was moved to the New Toledo,Ohio Jackman Road site and re branded as the 700 series transmission). Ohio and Lucas county offered more tax abatements than St.Joesph and The state of Michigan. And the tax incentive process goes on and on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scotydoc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scotydoc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scotydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:42 PM   #14
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedj_98 View Post
Please, there is a BIG difference between writing a $200M check TODAY to a bankrupt GM, and $600M in tax breaks, incentives, and property for VW over the NEXT 30 YEARS!

Spring Hill is 20 years old, the VW plant is brand new, state of the art, environmental friendly.

Politics? Bredesen is a Democrat and Corker is a Republican. I think they both have the best interests of the citizens of Tennessee at heart.
Did I say that they should throw them the money with no questions asked? No. I hope the state of Michigan and Wisonsion will not give them hundreds of millions either, but I am sure one of them will be more than willing to give the money and it's not Wisconsion.

Yeah politics. The decisions on who stays and who goes is all coming down to who has the biggest check, the most incentives, and the pull from congressional leaders and senators. Look how Barney Frank supposedly delayed the Mass plant closure 14 months. I am sure that he did a little more than giving Fritz Henderson a friendly phone call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedj_98 View Post
Perhaps, we can hope GM will dump the Spring Hill plant and Penske might be able to pick it up cheap, find the polymer molds in the storage room and start manufacturing Saturns there again. Or the Nissan folks 15 miles away in Franklin and Smyrna, TN will take it over and build their electric car there.
Penske making cars in Spring Hill let alone the US? LOL I'd rather see it bulldozed down before selling it to someone like nissan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote