SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
Jhawk
Jhawk is on a distinguished road

Question New brake pads grinding

Hey guys. I just had the front and rear brakes replaced on my 2002 Saturn SL... the mechanic also resurfaced the rotors. I'm now hearing a pretty loud grinding coming from the brakes. The guys said the AC Delco metallic brake pads will make this grinding sound until they are broken in.

Is this true? The grinding is loud enough to turn heads when I pull up and brake.

Thanks for any advice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
Default Re: New brake pads grinding

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61513

for a discussion on the topic. IN my opinion, turning rotors is OK if there is enough material to do so and you are on a tight budget. At one time places like the now long gone Trak Auto "Super" stores would do it for free.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:53 PM   #3
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61513

for a discussion on the topic. IN my opinion, turning rotors is OK if there is enough material to do so and you are on a tight budget. At one time places like the now long gone Trak Auto "Super" stores would do it for free.
Unfortunately thats a rather old thread. More research has been done to determine how "warped" rotors occur.

OP You need to bed in your brakes. READ:
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedinstock.shtml

A few medium speed stops will surfice in putting down an initial layer on the rotor.

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:04 AM   #4
bobbyrae
bobbyrae will become famous soon enoughbobbyrae will become famous soon enough

1993 SL2
Roll Eyes Re: New brake pads grinding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhawk View Post
Hey guys. I just had the front and rear brakes replaced on my 2002 Saturn SL... the mechanic also resurfaced the rotors. I'm now hearing a pretty loud grinding coming from the brakes. The guys said the AC Delco metallic brake pads will make this grinding sound until they are broken in.

Is this true? The grinding is loud enough to turn heads when I pull up and brake.

If it's really a grinding noise, as opposed to a squeal or whine, I would say there is a problem. The only time I have heard grinding noises from disk brakes is when the pads were worn almost all the way down, one pad more worn than the other, causing a slight contact of the caliper to the rotor.

On another occasion, after having a front wheel bearing replaced, the backing plate had gotten slightly bent, causing a scraping noise when turning. I fixed this by poking a big screwdriver in there and bending it back!!!

Bobby Rae
Alameda, CA
1993 SL2 A/T, 78k miles, 22/33/43 mpg
1982 Accord 5-speed, 302k miles, 23/32/40 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobbyrae's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobbyrae reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobbyrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:24 AM   #5
velleguy73
velleguy73 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL
2002 SL

I gave up turning rotors about 10 years ago. I had the doorknob behind the parts counter tell me that my rotors were thick enough to turn. I agreed and re-installed my brakes. 500ish miles later, I heard some metalic grinding. The rotors could not dicipate the heat so there were radius cracks all over the surface. This generated so much heat that 2 of my brand new brake pads shatered.

If it were a truck, I would resurface the rotors. If it were factory rotors, I might try and resurface. If it was any over the counter aftermarket rotor, I'd pitch them and buy another set. My experience anyway.

Worth an inspection as posted above.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to velleguy73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help velleguy73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
velleguy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
bobbyrae
bobbyrae will become famous soon enoughbobbyrae will become famous soon enough

1993 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by velleguy73 View Post
I gave up turning rotors about 10 years ago. I had the doorknob behind the parts counter tell me that my rotors were thick enough to turn. I agreed and re-installed my brakes. 500ish miles later, I heard some metalic grinding. The rotors could not dicipate the heat so there were radius cracks all over the surface. This generated so much heat that 2 of my brand new brake pads shatered.

If it were a truck, I would resurface the rotors. If it were factory rotors, I might try and resurface. If it was any over the counter aftermarket rotor, I'd pitch them and buy another set. My experience anyway.

Worth an inspection as posted above.
On one hand I have to agree that perhaps the aftermarket rotors are cheap and have a shorter life, but on the other hand, when I think about your story, it seems so hard to believe that taking about .001" off the rotor surface could lead to the over heating and cracking like that. The brakes worked just fine before that? I will keep this in mind!

Bobby Rae
Alameda, CA
1993 SL2 A/T, 78k miles, 22/33/43 mpg
1982 Accord 5-speed, 302k miles, 23/32/40 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobbyrae's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobbyrae reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobbyrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
code1bob
code1bob will become famous soon enough

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhawk View Post

Thanks for any advice.
jhawk,

I had the same problem only 1 time, I used the most inexpensive type from Autozone and I had the loud grinding noise. I took them off tossed them in the garbage and replaced them with Raybestos ceramic pads. They are very quiet and produce less dust. If the noise doesn't go away soon go back to the mechanic and have him replace the pads.

Next time do the job yourself and save some money, brakes are not difficult to replace.

1997 SL1
5 speed manual
346,000 mi.+

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to code1bob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help code1bob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
code1bob is offline   Reply With Quote