SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2009, 02:51 PM   #1
Project1988
Project1988 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
Default 2000 SL2-Jerking and Stalling Issue

Before I post this question I just want to say this one of the best and most helpful car sites I have been to.

We own a 2000 Saturn SL2 automatic with 174,XXX miles and had severe idle issues last week. We put the car in the shop and got the car back on Friday only to brake down in traffic after paying $500 for one coil pack to be replaced. Yes, I was ready to pour gas on the car!!! The car was jerking and stalling at random speeds and finally died while moving at 45mph (in traffic). I made to the middle of the highway and it would start but would not stay running. If I tried to push the gas pedal down no rise in the rpm took place and the car died. I had to pay another $65 to have it towed to the house. At the house it cranked up and idled fine.

Here is what has been replaced so far:

Coil packs
EGR Valve
Oxygen Sensor
Fuel Pump
Air Filter
Oil and new filter
Spark Plugs
Coolant Temperature Sensor (This past Saturday and it was broken.)
Crank Position Sensor
Cleaned Throttle Body
Fresh Gas was also added

I tried driving the car with EGR disconnected and the IAC disconnected and the bucking issue was still there. It was really bad when starting from a dead stop. The car will almost die when the gas is pressed and then it would jerk and go forward. Everything is fine with the pedal to the floor.

I really thought the ECTS would have fixed most of this but it didn't. It was recommended to us to change the Canister Purge Solenoid and the Torque Converter Solenoid. Would this be the answer and where the heck is the Canister Purge Solenoid?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Project1988's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Project1988 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Project1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
mrclean92124
mrclean92124 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Re: 2000 SL2-Jerking and Stalling Issue

Since you are switching parts out 8) There is one recommended change I didn't see above, air temperature sensor. I was messing with mine and ran the care with the air temperature sensor (near radiator in air intake) on my 96 SL2. This is exactly the same part as the ECTS actually and is also plastic and prone to failure.

Anyway, when I accidentally left my ATS unplugged, car ran like crap, and actually stalled out a few times during hard start. Part runs like 20$ from dealer... One of the sensors I have seen recommended to be fixed. Also you haven't replaced the fuel filter? That is recommended change at like 120k service if I remember correctly? I have had fuel filters fail and starve fuel supply. Easy test to perform actually to check fuel flow. I assume whoever changed the fuel pump verified good fuel flow?

I had a similar thing happen with about 40k on my saturn actually. It ended up being a collapsed catalytic converter. Dealer said it collapsed internally and blocked exhaust. Engine started running progressively worse, and any ammount of throttle would kill the engine. It got so bad it would only run at all at idle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrclean92124's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrclean92124 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mrclean92124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
ialonso
ialonso is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

I'm guessing you replaced the plug wires already with the coil, or with the plugs, although it's not listed.

If not, consider it; they were causing severe misfire on my car with similar but milder symptoms. (oReilly has a $19 set with lifetime warranty)

99 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ialonso's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ialonso reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ialonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Although a nice idea, the intake air temperature sensor (IAT) isn't likely to fail since all it does is measure air temperature as it breezes by. What may be the best suggestion is the catalytic converter being clogged after 170k miles. Nothing lasts forever and there's at least one home test to help narrow it down to the converter - removing the front O3 sensor.

By removing the front O2 sensor and allowing another exhaust outlet, if the catcon is plugged, the engine won' feel constipated and literally roar to life. The exhaust will be LOUD but you're only testing for a plugged converter. If there's no hesitation or stumbling, you've found the converter plugged. The alternative test is to place your hand over the exhaust pipe when the engine's cold and running to see if the exhaust pushes your hand away. The only other place to test for a clogged catcon is a good muffler shop.

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:49 PM   #5
Tested
Tested is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
2001 SC2

We had similiar problems with our Saturn, the catalytic converter was trashed - so replacing it was our key (among other things).

One more thought, has anyone checked the injectors and rail? Are the injectors spraying or are they (one, or more of them) clogged?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tested's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tested reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:31 AM   #6
Project1988

2000 SL2

Thought about the injectors too but the car idles fine and it goes with the pedal to floor. The problem happens as soon as the car is put into gear (drive or reverse) it stalls/jerks when you give it gas and then it runs fine after the initial stumble. I also check for exhaust flow it looks fine.

I will order the EVAP purge solenoid today. I will keep you posted on improvements.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Project1988 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-09-2009, 06:28 PM   #7
Project1988

2000 SL2

Worked for 1.5hrs after work in the hot humid weather in SC and still didn't get the piece off. I am still thinking of pouring gas on the car!!!

"Make it in the USA!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-12-2009, 07:37 PM   #8
Project1988

2000 SL2

I had to wait 4 days for EVAC purge valve to arrive. I installed it and a new set of spark wires and guess what-I still have the same problem. The car idles perfect and you can press the gas and it revs perfect. If you put it in gear and drive a short distance all works fine. If you stop at a stop sign and then start again from idle the car stumbles almost to a stop and jerks and finally goes forward. If you floor it from a stop it will turn the tires over with no problem!

Any other suggestions?

"Make it in the USA!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-13-2009, 12:42 AM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Well, since you haven't tried the O2 removal test for a clogged catcon, have you tried the temporary egr blocking gasket? It requires removing the egr valve and making a temporary gasket from a soda can to block off the ports underneath the egr valve and replacing the valve to hold everything down. Driving will reveal either the same problem or restored engine power. If power comes back, its the egr valve. Clean or replace it. The temporary blocking gasket (aluminum soda can) will melt eventually so run this test once or twice and discard it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-13-2009, 01:26 PM   #10
Project1988

2000 SL2

fdryer-you were correct about the exhaust. I removed the front oxygen sensor and car runs fine. I have a plugged catcon.

Any suggestions on where to get a new catcon installed?

"Make it in the USA!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-13-2009, 03:29 PM   #11
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Sorry, but every state has their peculiar regulations about emissions, California being the strictest. Perhaps a member can suggest or your nearest muffler shop for their over priced catcons. If you call around you should be able to find a reasonably priced replacement unless you buy one online from someplace like summitracing for installation on your own.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-13-2009, 05:22 PM   #12
MHnTX
MHnTX is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

If you need a cheap converter try discount converter dot com. They have universals for about $45 + shipping that work fine. You can either clamp them on or have a local muffler shop weld it on for you... best of luck widit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MHnTX's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MHnTX reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MHnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:24 PM   #13
Project1988

2000 SL2

BAD NEWS!!! Replaced the catcon and man was the old one plugged up! Reinstalled the exhaust and the car still has the same problem. It idles perfect and you can free rev it with no problem. If I put it into drive or reverse and press the gas it stumbles and stalls/jerks and finally goes...

What is the next approach? Fuel filter?

"Make it in the USA!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-15-2009, 06:30 PM   #14
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Try post #9 next. You may have hit a double if the egr valve is causing the similar symptoms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!