SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 10:18 PM   #1
MSGJVH
MSGJVH is on a distinguished road

Devil Starter Removal

Ok I don't know who the sadistic engineer is for this starter set up but I think they should be sentanced to 5 yrs of hard labor fixing every saturn owners starters. After spending an hour becoming a contoursionist, the top bolt finally gave way! Does that bolt really need to be nearly 3 inches? Do you realllly need to have it in the most unaccessable spot one could ever think of? Was there some fight going on between the engineers and the mechanics on this day?

Saturn Mechanics you have my deepest sympathy. The biggest concern is how am I ever going to get this thing back on there without my hands becoming a crumpled mess!!

On the lighter side, once I did have it out, I tried to bench test it. Only thing happening with that starter is it's going to the rebuild bench as a core. Tried jumping it from the battery to the solenoid and it didn't even groan. Hopefully, NAPA will have a starter, because Kragen has to order it in 2 days and so does Autozone. $99 from Kragen, $190 from autozone and $158 from Napa.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MSGJVH's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MSGJVH reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2002, 11:22 PM   #2
SLeepr
Master Member
SLeepr is on a distinguished road

MSGJVH, I feel your pain. I had to switch mine out about three years ago. It took me darn near 5 hours to complete. I felt like I was going to have that permanent bend in my wrist forever! Can anyone say "hand cramp?" Saturn isn't known for positioning things in the most "user-friendly" places.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLeepr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLeepr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-25-2002, 05:56 AM   #3
SexySC2Guy
SexySC2Guy is on a distinguished road

Oh man.. I so know your pain. I had to change the starter on my 96 SC2 and I lost it.. I don't have patience anyhow so it didn't help trying to get my big hands up there... Oh yeah, try doing it in the snow!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SexySC2Guy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SexySC2Guy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-28-2004, 09:14 PM   #4
Jammer
Advanced Member
Jammer is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

Oh man, This no fun...

My starter is going and I have tendonitus (sp?). Anyone have a hint or inking on how to replace the starter in an 02 sc2?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jammer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jammer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-29-2004, 09:38 AM   #5
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

It may sound overkill, but remove the whole intake mainfold first and your starter replacement job will not be so miserable.

Removing the Intake requires Coolant drain and many more bolts to unscrew, maybe too much for someone who rather working underneath instead.

I thought Saturn's Starter is quite reliable, not?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-29-2004, 12:44 PM   #6
sps SOHC
Master Member
sps SOHC is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

Remove the intake manifold? I thought that was pretty hard to do! One of the bolts (under the ps pump) is supposedly very hard to get off, kinda like the bolt for the starter!
You do have to mess w/ fuel system & power steering pump to get it off, correct?

Well, if it's not that hard I might get mine "extrude honed" while it's out and paint it a pretty color if I ever have to change my starter.

-96 SC2 gets 35 mpg mix city/hw.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sps SOHC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sps SOHC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-29-2004, 03:25 PM   #7
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

No need to mess with fuel rail, just unscrew the main fuel line to it. No need to take out the Power steering pump either, just unbolt 3 and move it aside.

I didn't mean this is the best way to do starter by taking out the intake, but this will give ton of space to mess with the starter more easily.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-29-2004, 06:47 PM   #8
Craig
Advanced Member
Craig is on a distinguished road

I swapped one last spring, took me about an hour...not the easiest one I've done, but not that bad, either. Get some long extensions, that helped me.
The WORST starter change I did was on the '87 Turbo Sunbird I used to have; I couldn't even SEE the damn thing! Had to use a mirror to find the bolts, took me the better part of a day in single-digit weather to change it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Craig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Craig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-29-2004, 07:28 PM   #9
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

For what it is worth, it is easier when standing under the car while it is supported on a lift. On your back, it ain't fun. I've done it both ways at this point...anybody got a used lift they want to give away...?

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-30-2004, 10:15 PM   #10
BigShelby
BigShelby is on a distinguished road

Be careful when you install the new starter that you go easy on the torque on the electrical connections. If you go too tight you WILL crack the plastic housing, which won't prevent proper operation but may let environmental contaminents in and reduce the life of the starter, which is a PIA to replace as you stated.

Looking for another great Saturn SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BigShelby's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BigShelby reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-01-2004, 09:15 PM   #11
Jammer
Advanced Member

2002 SC2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

Argh, well I got the tools to do it but no lift.... Mabey I can rent some shoptime from the guy down the road. well no matter come pay day i have a little work to do. The rear sway mount connecting rod thing has gone bad ($95 from Saturn) and a new starter ($289 from Saturn $160 from Advance witch one would you get?)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jammer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-01-2004, 09:55 PM   #12
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

What's the big deal? Two little bolts, right out there in the open. Piece of cake.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-01-2004, 11:26 PM   #13
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

you cheated Razorbak, you took the whole engine out!(maybe that would be easier)

Formerly - Saturn of Downers Grove Parts Department
Current - Castle Chevy in Villa Park Parts Department

EPA 608 Certification
EPA 609 Certification

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-02-2004, 12:50 AM   #14
Jammer
Advanced Member

2002 SC2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

.....Wow...... That is a pretty motor... DIBS.

Anyway I now know right whare the bolts that I have to get out are. I am thinking a 2' extention and a univeral on the end will do it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-02-2004, 01:17 AM   #15
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Jammer
.....Wow...... That is a pretty motor... DIBS.
you want it? razorbak is not using it for anything.

J/K

Formerly - Saturn of Downers Grove Parts Department
Current - Castle Chevy in Villa Park Parts Department

EPA 608 Certification
EPA 609 Certification

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread