SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2016, 08:27 AM   #1
Chaz9496
Chaz9496 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default E85

Has anyone tried running E85 in their regular fueled Saturn and what results have you had ? I've read that most everyone agrees that it's perfectly fine to do but the mileage will be poorer than using the correct grade for your vehicle. I was going to try it and see in my '01 L200 but probably won't due to that fact. I also read that the oil companies don't want you to know this due to not using the more expensive fuels. This may be just a myth as well. Thanks for your comments.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chaz9496's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chaz9496 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chaz9496 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2016, 09:04 AM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: E85

NOpe, but makes no sense as it's more corrosive, worse mileage and welfare for corn farmers/corps/ job security for the bureaucrats that push it.

Even if you had an E85 vehicle with mods needed to run it- there are no cost savings.

THe fact that it costs less at the pump doesn't polish up this turd any better.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:08 AM   #3
flyingj
Advanced Member
flyingj will become famous soon enoughflyingj will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2006 VUE 3.5L

^^ Very true. I run 84/85 octaine in my L and it works just fine. However E85 will desroy your milage, thus completely offsetting the lower cost per gallon.

There is no real win for E85 as billysvue states.

Heck when I had the SL, it ran best when you put the cheapest most worthless gas you could find in it. I was almost convinced it could run on water. But E85, not a chance

2001 L-200 2.2l Mileage: 140,000
DOB: 05/08/01 Date Acquired: 07/01/07

2006 Vue 3.5L AWD Mileage: 130,000
DOB: 08/24/05 Date Acquired: 12/15/06

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to flyingj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help flyingj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
flyingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:37 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Chaz9496, read your owner's manual for clarification. Service manuals also warm against using ethanol greater than 15% except for vehicles configured to run dual fuel systems and labeling for E85. If you insist on using it, you risk damage to your engine and fuel system not designed to handle higher ethanol content despite the few swearing by it. These few haven't reported long term usage when the corrosive effects of higher ethanol content in fuel occurs.

Ethanol, while having higher octane, has less btu's than gasoline so mileage will be lowered compared to regular gas.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:08 PM   #5
Russet
Russet will become famous soon enoughRusset will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Unless your engine is certified E85 running it saves nothing for you. You will waste more to fix the damage ethanol causes then saving on fuel mileage. What will fix that will be proper tire inflation, alignment, good tires, replaced fuel pump and fuel filter and clean oil and oil filter and a K&N air filter all these little things you do will save more in gas mileage overall and long term compared to little return E85 can do for you. My Saturn L300 2003 with all these gives me 27mpg overall and 32mpg straight highway driving and this is for a v6 and no lead foot. Lead foot and your looking at sub 25mpg overall.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:16 PM   #6
Deep6
Deep6 is a splendid one to beholdDeep6 is a splendid one to beholdDeep6 is a splendid one to beholdDeep6 is a splendid one to beholdDeep6 is a splendid one to beholdDeep6 is a splendid one to behold

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

One other factor not mentioned above regarding E85 is the fact that alcohol has a bigger solvent effect. Which means it will help to strip away vital lubrication from the upper cylinder wall as well as the intake valve stems. For internal combustion engines to truly take advantage of E85 (or even E100) would require that all rubber fuel system parts be replaced with neoprene or other non-corrosive plastic, use direct injection and most important of all, a higher compression ratio. Almost as high as a diesel. Today's current "flex fuel" vehicles are really meant to run on gasoline and are still optimized for it. But even Running full alcohol, even if the engine is optimized for it, will result in lower fuel economy due to less potential energy of the fuel. The real advantage of burning alcohol are environmental: no hydrocarbon emissions, means less smog junk needed on each car (which is a cost savings) and it is a fuel that is obtained through fermentation and distillation. Rather than drilling for crude and refining it. Also, if you are enterprising enough, you could make your own fuel for such a hypothetical car and avoid the fuel station altogether!

2002 LW200 MT 131K "Rare 5-speed"
2000 LS1 AT 283K "Served us well since 2000"
1993 SL2 AT 155K "Also Gone but not forgotten"
2012 Honda CBR 250R 4.7K "She can't take this from me"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Deep6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Deep6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Deep6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:18 PM   #7
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep6 View Post
The real advantage of burning alcohol are environmental: no hydrocarbon emissions, means less smog junk needed on each car ....Rather than drilling for crude and refining it.
Where do you think the energy comes from to make the ferts to grow it, drive the tractors and harvest the corn ethanol crop? THen ,factor in the emissions from said machinery,as well as the toxic runoff into the Gulf and other waters and it's a net loss for the environment.

This doesn't even touch on all the ferkakta farm subsidies( WELFARE) to produce it, higher feed costs ,excess amounts of pesticide and herbicide,to name a few more negatives.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...d-ethanol.aspx

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:38 PM   #8
Deep6
Deep6 is a splendid one to beholdDeep6 is a splendid one to beholdDeep6 is a splendid one to beholdDeep6 is a splendid one to beholdDeep6 is a splendid one to beholdDeep6 is a splendid one to behold

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Billysvue: I read that article and others like it before. They are all very good criticisms and concerns regarding the usage of corn as a primary feedstock for ethanol production. I too see the lobbyist influence on using more corn, genetically modified corn and pesticides/chemical fertilizers to obtain the necessary yield to make ethanol production cost effective. And currently the best we can do is "E10" in most parts of the country. Still, I was merely pointing out the advantages to burning alcohol as a partial-to-complete replacement for gasoline.

I never said it was a 'panacea' or 'cure all' for our nation's problems. To truly solve that issue would require more than just converting existing internal combustion engines to run on gasohol mixes or even 100% alcohol alone obtained from the cheapest sources possible.

A counter-criticism I have: Corn may be the 'cheapest' source of sugar we have in this nation for ethanol production (Brazil does this too, but they have sugar cane a-plenty). But we also have massive amounts of 'waste' cellulose. Mulches, wood byproduct from the lumber industry, recyclable packaging, manure etc. There is plenty of 'Biomass' to be fermented! We haven't even considered switching ethanol feedstock crops from corn (which as noted in the article is a water, fertilizer and pesticide intense crop) to something like sugar beets? Switch grass can grow in harsh conditions and can help to return farmland back to sustainable pasture. It too can be a feedstock for ethanol. The problem comes with the costs associated with all these ideas. It skyrockets because it is far more costly to break down cellulose to simple sugars that yeast can ferment, rather than start with fermentable corn in the first place.

If we can find a way to sustainably produce alcohol for burning in engines and generators, we would have a very clean alternative to gasoline. However, it appears that progress is clearly a snails pace in this area. We already have very efficient solar panels and a car company like Tesla has shown us that an all-electric car is possible without inducing 'range anxiety'. By the time we figure out a way to sustainably produce alcohol, we'll all be driving electric cars that can easily travel 400miles between charges, infrastructure will exist to charge them up in 10 minutes, their paint will convert sunlight to electric charge helping to extend range and, and, and - they will drive themselves and fly.

2002 LW200 MT 131K "Rare 5-speed"
2000 LS1 AT 283K "Served us well since 2000"
1993 SL2 AT 155K "Also Gone but not forgotten"
2012 Honda CBR 250R 4.7K "She can't take this from me"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Deep6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Deep6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Deep6 is offline   Reply With Quote