SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2009, 03:24 PM   #1
brielle
brielle is on a distinguished road

Default air cond. fuel gauge and temp gauge not working. Help??

If anyone has any advice for me, I would appreciate it. My temp gauge, fuel gauge and air cond. (still blows, but not cold) all stopped working at the same time. The fuse is not blown. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be??

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brielle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brielle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brielle is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2009, 03:38 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: air cond. fuel gauge and temp gauge not working. Help??

Welcome to Saturnfans!

Mind telling us what you're driving (make, model, year), essential information like mileage, maintenance done, etc.?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
brielle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Welcome to Saturnfans!

Mind telling us what you're driving (make, model, year), essential information like mileage, maintenance done, etc.?
Oh sorry. I drive a 2003 L200. It has around 78,000 miles. The only maintenance I've done are oil changes as needed. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help brielle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The fuel level and a/c request signals go through the body control module (BCM, another computer) while the temperature signal comes from the engine control module (ECM, engine computer). I can't put my finger on anything because it seems to me three different problems and that doesn't make sense. I usually can answer some simple problems like a/c system, temperature or fuel signal issues but these three don't seem to have anything in common except the battery and ground connections. Perhaps another member can suggest a better diagnosis.

What's the condition of the battery (over 4yrs?) and voltage, and has it ever been tested or replaced? Free battery and alternator testing are available at Autozone and the large auto stores if necessary. Just call around.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-05-2009, 05:21 PM   #5
brielle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
The fuel level and a/c request signals go through the body control module (BCM, another computer) while the temperature signal comes from the engine control module (ECM, engine computer). I can't put my finger on anything because it seems to me three different problems and that doesn't make sense. I usually can answer some simple problems like a/c system, temperature or fuel signal issues but these three don't seem to have anything in common except the battery and ground connections. Perhaps another member can suggest a better diagnosis.

What's the condition of the battery (over 4yrs?) and voltage, and has it ever been tested or replaced? Free battery and alternator testing are available at Autozone and the large auto stores if necessary. Just call around.
My husband had the battery tested @ AutoZone and they said the it was fine. Thanks for your answer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-11-2009, 05:47 PM   #6
shamilto
shamilto is on a distinguished road

Did you ever resolve this problem? Or can anyone else share any advise? I have a 2001 L200, and am having the same problems.....fuel gauge, temp gauge, and odometer do not adjust/change/move while the car is running...they do move to their proper position/levels each time the car is restarted though.

I am also having the same trouble with the a/c, the blower works just not the conditioning of the air. I have tested the system itself and all seems to be in working condition...this leads me to believe that it is electronic. Also as in your case, they all seem to be tied together.

Any advise or insight is greatly appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shamilto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shamilto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
shamilto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:32 PM   #7
WGBWGB62
WGBWGB62 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I own a 2001 L100 and have almost the same problem. Temp gauge, odometer, and fuel gauge do not work. It all seemed to happen at the same time. Mileage reads about 86,000. The fuel and temp gauges were working every so often but less often now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WGBWGB62's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WGBWGB62 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WGBWGB62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:32 AM   #8
s3nfo
s3nfo will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Well, as Fdryer said, this is a weird one. Fuel gauge and odometer are both BCM related and that's a normal and common failure mode. Temp gauge at the same time is uncommon and hard to figure out, temp gauge is not driven by BCM.
We need more information from someone who's actually figured out this failure mode.

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #9
brogers
brogers is on a distinguished road

Did this get resolved? My AC, temp, and gas gauge all stopped working when I started my car after work the other day, came back on yesterday, and do not work again today. It is summer in Phoenix so... gotta get this fixed.
I have a 2003 L300 w/79k miles. I checked the fuse for the AC and it's fine. I switched it with the radio fuse to make sure.
Could it be some loose wire not getting a connection?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brogers's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brogers reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:12 PM   #10
SlimSaturn
SlimSaturn is on a distinguished road

Digging this thread up, I am having similar issues.

Temp/Fuel Gauge died, Security Light came on and DRL stay on even when the motor is off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SlimSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SlimSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SlimSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:41 PM   #11
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

No assumptions are made so piggybacking onto an old thread may or may not help, especially when posters don't follow up with a conclusion.

It may help if you start a new thread, year, model, auto/manual, engine size, mileage, maintenance done and parts replaced to give a perspective of your car's state of health. Then describe symptoms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!