SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
slonoma98
slonoma98 is on a distinguished road

Default Ignition lock cylinder stuck

I have a 2003 Vue. Here is the ignition lock problem I'm having: If the lock position is put to off it doesn't allow you to turn it back on to start the truck. Previously when this happened I sprayed into the lock cylinder with WD40 and I was able to turn the key after a while. Last night the cylinder stuck in the off position again, but this time I've sprayed it WD40 and it still won;t move. The truck is just sitting in my driveway unable to start. Any ideas how I can get the lock cylinder to move so I can start the truck? Please help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slonoma98's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slonoma98 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slonoma98 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2009, 12:23 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Ignition lock cylinder stuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonoma98 View Post
I have a 2003 Vue. Here is the ignition lock problem I'm having: If the lock position is put to off it doesn't allow you to turn it back on to start the truck. Previously when this happened I sprayed into the lock cylinder with WD40 and I was able to turn the key after a while. Last night the cylinder stuck in the off position again, but this time I've sprayed it WD40 and it still won;t move. The truck is just sitting in my driveway unable to start. Any ideas how I can get the lock cylinder to move so I can start the truck? Please help!
If you feel you've got nothing to lose ... try this ... put a known good key in ignition ... apply turning pressure and give the end of the key a sharp rap with the handle-end of your favorite screwdriver.

This has been known to free the key on occasion. Incidentally, a "rapping" tool was mandatory equipment for many 1999 Caravan minivan owners - the Dodge Boys put some really bad switches in a lot of vehicles.

Also, make sure the steering wheel is not in a bind ... this will add to your frozen key problem.

I can dig up key cylinder replacement info if you get that far.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
slonoma98

I'll have to try that trick. The steering wheel isn't locked. In fact I took out the whole ignition cylinder unit that bolts on to the steering column.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help slonoma98 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-05-2009, 01:35 PM   #4
slonoma98

I tried the "rapping" trick but it didn't work. Anything else I can try? Can I remove the lock cylinder without turning the key to the ACC position?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-05-2009, 06:03 PM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I tried the "rapping" trick but it didn't work. Anything else I can try? Can I remove the lock cylinder without turning the key to the ACC position?
Procedures call for ACC so its going to take an expert to help you now.

I ain't one!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-08-2009, 10:06 PM   #6
slonoma98

bump....Anyone else with ideas? There are no Saturn dealers in my country. The closest Chevy dealer is in Mexico and I doubt they stock Saturn parts. I'm in a desperate position.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-09-2009, 09:21 AM   #7
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
bump....Anyone else with ideas? There are no Saturn dealers in my country. The closest Chevy dealer is in Mexico and I doubt they stock Saturn parts. I'm in a desperate position.
I have a pdf document with Saturn Vue ignition cylinder coding and parts breakdown ... too large to post but will email if you PM address.

Just a wild thought but I replaced the ignition switch on an old Renault once with toggle switches. I can send electrical diagrams.

Caution ... bypassing any part of the Vue ignition system will be problematic because of PASSLOCK system.

Do you have local lock and key shops? Many U.S. shops are skilled in working with automobile locking systems - including ignition assemblies - and most have basic replacement hardware.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-09-2009, 09:02 PM   #8
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

I emailed the large PDF document earlier this PM.

Perhaps you searched Saturn forums for sticky / stuck key information ...

In the event you didn't - there's a service bulletin to clean and lubricate in this thread ... of course it appears you must take the darn switch apart for proper cleaning (see post # 16).

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...17#post1080717

I'm curious ... do you have one of the original keys? Or, are you using a duplicate?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #9
SaturnIONSLVUE
Advanced Member
SaturnIONSLVUE is on a distinguished road

LUBE Ignition lock cylinder USE

Super Lube
For use on metal, rubber, and plastics.

GM PART #:
9 oz. 12346241

YOU CAN BUT IT AT ANY SATURN, CHEVY OR OTHER GM DEALER

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnIONSLVUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnIONSLVUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnIONSLVUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:11 AM   #10
urchak
urchak is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
I so sorry

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to urchak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help urchak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
urchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #11
slonoma98

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
I emailed the large PDF document earlier this PM.

Perhaps you searched Saturn forums for sticky / stuck key information ...

In the event you didn't - there's a service bulletin to clean and lubricate in this thread ... of course it appears you must take the darn switch apart for proper cleaning (see post # 16).

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...17#post1080717

I'm curious ... do you have one of the original keys? Or, are you using a duplicate?

I have the original key. No one in my country seems to have the blank to cut a duplicate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-17-2009, 11:07 AM   #12
HfxVue
HfxVue is on a distinguished road

Maybe silly, but make sure that the tranny is securely in Park. Key won't turn without it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HfxVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HfxVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HfxVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:15 AM   #13
qwikz28
qwikz28 is on a distinguished road

would someone be able to send me the PDF for the key codings? I'd really appreciate it. email is jacob.awad@gmail.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to qwikz28's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help qwikz28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
qwikz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:57 AM   #14
3RedLines
3RedLines has a spectacular aura about3RedLines has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE Red Line
2004 VUE Red Line

I had a sticky lock awhile back and WD-40 just seemed to make it worse. Got some graphite lock lube and it cured my problem.

2007 STS-V
2006 STS 1SC
2005 STS 1SE MRC, ACC, HUD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 3RedLines's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 3RedLines reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
3RedLines is offline   Reply With Quote