SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #21
rollsroyce250
rollsroyce250 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: General Motors, Penske Outline Proposed Deal for Purchase of Saturn

Does Penske plan to sell only Saturn badged GM's for the next 2 years? If so, that's a terrific business plan. Saturn sales have tanked, but he'll keep selling the same old GM crap rebadged as Saturns. I'm sure a lot of Americans will be banging down Saturn dealership doors to purchase a rebadged GM. They haven't been buying them now, what makes him think they suddenly will for the next 2 years?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rollsroyce250's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rollsroyce250 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rollsroyce250 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #22
squider
squider is on a distinguished road

There are currently retailers in Canada that do sell the same if not more product for Saturn than their amercian cousins. Even poss a handful that would end up in the top ten sales for North Amercia. (a few for sure)
Penske would have looked at all this info and there is no reason that Saturn Canada retailers would not be included in this deal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to squider's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help squider reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
squider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:55 PM   #23
page2171
page2171 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollsroyce250 View Post
Does Penske plan to sell only Saturn badged GM's for the next 2 years? If so, that's a terrific business plan. Saturn sales have tanked, but he'll keep selling the same old GM crap rebadged as Saturns. I'm sure a lot of Americans will be banging down Saturn dealership doors to purchase a rebadged GM. They haven't been buying them now, what makes him think they suddenly will for the next 2 years?
It is going to take some time to get whatever he has planned into the showrooms. He may be good, but he can't wave a magic wand and make different cars show up in the showrooms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to page2171's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help page2171 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
page2171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:05 PM   #24
Elizabeth
Elizabeth is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Does Penske plan to sell only Saturn badged GM's for the next 2 years?
Apparently so. For the time being GM will build the Saturns and supply Penske on a contract basis.

However, Penske said he's in talks with manufacturers around the world about building Saturn cars in the future.

By the way, Penske acquires the Spring Hall plant.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Elizabeth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Elizabeth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:32 PM   #25
hoodlum
hoodlum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by squider View Post
There are currently retailers in Canada that do sell the same if not more product for Saturn than their amercian cousins. Even poss a handful that would end up in the top ten sales for North Amercia. (a few for sure)
Penske would have looked at all this info and there is no reason that Saturn Canada retailers would not be included in this deal.
If you take out the Astra sales in Canada then the Canadian dealers would look much worse than the dealer in the US. Probably Penske realized they could not afford to subsidize the Astra, then decided to nix the Canadian dealers after reviewing the sales breakdown of models in Canada.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoodlum's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoodlum reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:53 PM   #26
squider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodlum View Post
If you take out the Astra sales in Canada then the Canadian dealers would look much worse than the dealer in the US. Probably Penske realized they could not afford to subsidize the Astra, then decided to nix the Canadian dealers after reviewing the sales breakdown of models in Canada.
What so the Astra is not sold in the States? Even if you to the Astra away or took out the Astra sales in Canada the big volume Saturn store would still be on par or ahead of most state side retailers.It was that way even before the Astra was introduced.
That being said can some show my a link to where it was said by Mr Penske himself that the Canadian Saturn retailer are not involved. And please not the link to CNN looking for actual statement from the news conference etc..

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help squider reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-05-2009, 07:03 PM   #27
Bluemax
Bluemax is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Over here in Montreal the Astra is very popular, because we are used to buy small cars with premium features. I even call my wife's XE 5 doors a little BMW because it feels that way. Where I work there is a least 5 Astra in the parking lot ( over 300 cars ).

Was the Astra 2009 cancelled in the States but here in Canada we got it !
Could someone confirm this ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bluemax's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bluemax reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bluemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:04 PM   #28
l57
l57 is on a distinguished road

2 points...

1....Penske has NOT Canada. Here's statement from a Detroit reporter who was on this morning's conference call with Penske.

"""Penske expects to offer Saturn's dealers in the U.S. a new franchise agreement and said it was a priority to determine how many Canadian dealers would be part of the new company."""

#2......Yes..the Astra 09 was never released to the US because they had a huge inventory backing up in the yards. Penske will need a small car right out of the gate if he intends to be a success. The Astra has gone to Buick and besides...it was a Dis-Astra south of the border. Wrong car to replace the Ion and everybody at GM now knows this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to l57's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help l57 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
l57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:32 PM   #29
squider

Thumbs Up Re: General Motors, Penske Outline Proposed Deal for Purchase of Saturn

Now that is a good post. All that was being said was US retailer would be talked to.
Saturn retailers do not need the Astra to thrive. Even before the Astra came out sales in Canada were high with some retailers selling over 1000 units per year.

Last edited by squider; 06-05-2009 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: spelling

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #30
EricSaturnSC2
EricSaturnSC2 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Please cite a source for this, Elizabeth.

You're the first I've read to mention anything about Spring Hill. I'm pretty certain Spring Hill will not be included in the sale.

Thanks...
EricSaturnSC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EricSaturnSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EricSaturnSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
EricSaturnSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:33 PM   #31
s4turngolf3r
s4turngolf3r is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1

Spring Hill is not part of the deal. However, according to the NY Times:

"On Monday, G.M. said the Spring Hill plant would compete with two other G.M. plants, in Janesville, Wis., and Orion Township, Mich., for the right to build a new small car. In the meantime, G.M. has suspended production at the Spring Hill plant.

So in all actuality Penske could make a deal with G.M. to potentially build a small car for its Saturn brand at Spring Hill. This is just a theory so don't get your hopes up.

--My First Car: 2001 SL-1. 3/23/2007--3/23/2009. 72K worry free miles.
--Current Ride: 2009 Ford Focus SES Sport 12750 Miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s4turngolf3r's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s4turngolf3r reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s4turngolf3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:45 PM   #32
EricSaturnSC2
EricSaturnSC2 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4turngolf3r View Post
Spring Hill is not part of the deal.
Thats what I thought. Thanks for setting that straight, s4.

I didn't want someone's misinformation to get a bunch of peoples' hopes up

Ciao,
EricSaturnSC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EricSaturnSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EricSaturnSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
EricSaturnSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:11 PM   #33
page2171

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4turngolf3r View Post
Spring Hill is not part of the deal. However, according to the NY Times:

"On Monday, G.M. said the Spring Hill plant would compete with two other G.M. plants, in Janesville, Wis., and Orion Township, Mich., for the right to build a new small car. In the meantime, G.M. has suspended production at the Spring Hill plant.

So in all actuality Penske could make a deal with G.M. to potentially build a small car for its Saturn brand at Spring Hill. This is just a theory so don't get your hopes up.
That news has me torn on who should win that competition. I would like to see the Spring Hill workers keep working, but I would also like to see my fellow Wisconsinites keep working. Maybe if that small car went to Janesville then Spring Hill could go to Penske?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help page2171 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-05-2009, 10:52 PM   #34
themrfreeze
themrfreeze is on a distinguished road

Quote:
They haven't been buying them now, what makes him think they suddenly will for the next 2 years?
The fact that Saturn now has a future (and one that, at the outset, looks more secure than either GM or Chrysler) may be enough to reassure those interested in a Saturn that it's now safe to buy one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to themrfreeze's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help themrfreeze reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
themrfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:57 PM   #35
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
No he didn't. Where are you getting this from? What does he want the plant in the US for anyways when he plans on importing vehicles?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:38 PM   #36
cstack3
cstack3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraNorth View Post
As a Canadian I really have to laugh reading these forums about Penske buying Saturn. I feel like a little kid at a wedding celebration...screaming out loud...trying to get the adults attention, trying to find out where the bathroom is.....

I guess no one really knows what is going to happen to Saturn in Canada...but us Canadians want to know.....but no can tell us....or they are ignoring us. Is there a Canadian Saturn Forum where we can cuddle till the storm passes ....HA HA
OK, let's think about this...Magna buys Opel in conjunction with Russia's Sberbank. Germans are very worried that much Opel production will be moved to Russia due to cheaper labor (probably true).

Magna says they have no plans to sell Opels into the US market, but hey, if they cut a deal with Penske, they rebadge them as Saturn.

This might work out OK. I'm not in favor of Renault, anyone else remember the junk they sold with American Motors? "Le Car" and "Alliance" come to mind. Citroen would be a better maker to team with.

I only see upside in this, and I expect Penske to negotiate very hard with GM for the Aura and any other Saturn model they want to produce. Better for Penske to march out on his own. I sure hope he doesn't bring in Indian or Chinese cars though!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cstack3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cstack3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cstack3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:44 PM   #37
page2171

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstack3 View Post
OK, let's think about this...Magna buys Opel in conjunction with Russia's Sberbank. Germans are very worried that much Opel production will be moved to Russia due to cheaper labor (probably true).

Magna says they have no plans to sell Opels into the US market, but hey, if they cut a deal with Penske, they rebadge them as Saturn.

This might work out OK. I'm not in favor of Renault, anyone else remember the junk they sold with American Motors? "Le Car" and "Alliance" come to mind. Citroen would be a better maker to team with.

I only see upside in this, and I expect Penske to negotiate very hard with GM for the Aura and any other Saturn model they want to produce. Better for Penske to march out on his own. I sure hope he doesn't bring in Indian or Chinese cars though!
Part of Magna's deal with Opel was that they would not sell Opels in the U.S. This, most likely, is because GM is already planning on selling Opels in the U.S. as Buicks. As far as the Renault deal goes, things have changed a lot since a new Renault was sold in the U.S. Back then most cars were garbage. I am not so quick to dismiss the Renault deal...I'll wait and see.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-06-2009, 01:37 AM   #38
AJR
Advanced Member
AJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Penske and Spring Hill

I read the following line in a Google news story. Maybe this is where the confusion started. This would make sense I guess.

'Penske Automotive will take over the separate Saturn parts warehouse and distribution center in Spring Hill'.

Andy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AJR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:24 AM   #39
newkirk.s
newkirk.s is on a distinguished road

Give credit where it is due! This is an impressive event in American business history for an individual to buy a division from "Generous Motors." Mr. Penske owns 56% of the voting stock of publicly traded Penske Automotive Group. Even more impressive is the fact that this is the second time that Roger Penske has purchased a division from General Motors. The last time GM was cash strapped in 1988, Penske bought Detroit Diesel (Allison) from GM and grew market share for large diesel engines from 3% to 33% then sold the company to Daimler in 2000 for a truckload of cash. Keep it up Roger. I am glad that we can still make something with an America brand name and history.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to newkirk.s's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help newkirk.s reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
newkirk.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:07 AM   #40
MyOutlookonLife
MyOutlookonLife is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XE
2006 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstack3 View Post

Anyone else remember the junk sold in the 80's period? You can point your finger at a LeCar or an Alliance..... but what about the K Car, Ford cars, Cimarron, Skyhawk, any Eagle product, GM diesel products, for that matter; any GM product. etc, etc, etc....

There was more junk built here that apparently we want to admit.

Roger won't buy junk. Count on it.

BTW - Part of the deal did include two facilities at Spring Hill but NOT the assembly plant. Just parts & warehouse facilities.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MyOutlookonLife's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MyOutlookonLife reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MyOutlookonLife is offline   Reply With Quote