SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
wifeofcore
Administrator
wifeofcore is on a distinguished road

Default It Is Official: Penske to Buy Saturn, Transform it Into a Larger Global Brand

A new feeditems entry has been added:

It Is Official: Penske to Buy Saturn, Transform it Into a Larger Global Brand

Quote:
Sharon Terlep and John Stoll from the Dow Jones Newswires: Each of General Motors' 350 US Saturn dealerships will receive offers to continue selling the vehicles under a tentative deal announced Friday to sell the brand to mega dealer Roger Penske. Penske, who runs the Penske Automotive Group chain of dealers, will take over the brands, trademarks, service and parts operations and distribution operations related to the Saturn. "We will have a completely independent company, and it will be lean," Penske said in a conference call with reporters Friday.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wifeofcore's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wifeofcore reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wifeofcore is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
AstraNorth
AstraNorth is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: It Is Official: Penske to Buy Saturn, Transform it Into a Larger Global Brand

So....does this mean that Penske owns Saturn in Canada as well? I presume this new Saturn will also cover my extended warranty on my Astra? I didn't see anything about GM suppling the Astra...only Vue, Aura and Outlook, I guess Penske will be buying Astras from Magna....I hope.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraNorth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraNorth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:53 AM   #3
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Default Re: It Is Official: Penske to Buy Saturn, Transform it Into a Larger Global Brand

Great news. Roger Penske is a smart and well organized businessman.

Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:17 AM   #4
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Wow. Welcome to the family, Mr. Penske. Not to sound like a schmuck, but we weren't born yesterday and won't just blindly accept what is handed to us. Do us proud.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
Ashkicker
Ashkicker is on a distinguished road

Great news!

Saturn will be under the ownership of someone who understands the automotive business and has consistently demonstrated pursuit of excellence in all of his endeavors.

He has historically selected the very best in executive leadership and "kept the bar" at high levels.

Saturn fans should be very pleased. The brand is not being sold to a hedge fund, or a bottom feeder such as Carl Ichan.

I may or may not purchase another Saturn, but when I drive by our local dealership I think todays news will just make the sun shine a little brighter on the lot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ashkicker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ashkicker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ashkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:36 AM   #6
cavalier
cavalier is on a distinguished road

This is welcome news indeed.

Penske has both the business acumen and funding to ensure that Saturn remains a viable brand for years to come.

Given the possible other alternatives out there (Ta-Ta Motors, etc.) that the brand could have been sold to this is a major relief.

Mr. Penske, I thank you personally for salvaging the Saturn brand and implore you to do things that the previous owner, GM, failed to due which could have made the brand even stronger.

1. Advertise heavily (and not with cheesy commercials that tell us nothing about the actual car like GM did...MAKE people want to buy a Saturn and tell them why they're better off doing so).

2. Hold many, MANY focus groups with actual Saturn owners to see what they want out of their next Saturn and how best to keep the customer happy (is the return to polymer a possibility, Mr. Penske, since I'm sure you smart enough to know this is why many buyers....like myself...purchased a Saturn in the first place).

3. Ensure that the Saturn buying experience (and service work) is kept customer friendly as it has been in the past.

4. Build cars that are sleek but yet AFFORDABLE at the same time. Let's not have a repeat of the Astra experience.

Congrats on your purchase, Mr. Penske.

How you run this company will determine whether I buy a Saturn again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cavalier's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cavalier reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Welcome aboard Mr Penske - lets hope my early design never comes a reality:

Lets also hope that Saturn is more successful than your current crop of NASCAR entrants.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:57 AM   #8
rossao1
Advanced Member
rossao1 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by piney View Post

AMEN! No rebadges please!

A Saturn owner since 10/91.
'92 SC, '91 SL2, 95 SW1, '06 ION3
other car- '02 Expedition 5.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rossao1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rossao1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rossao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:58 AM   #9
s4turngolf3r
s4turngolf3r is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1

CNN's article says Saturn of Canada is not a part of the deal. I'm assuming the 51 dealerships up there will be closing soon.

--My First Car: 2001 SL-1. 3/23/2007--3/23/2009. 72K worry free miles.
--Current Ride: 2009 Ford Focus SES Sport 12750 Miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s4turngolf3r's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s4turngolf3r reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s4turngolf3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:32 PM   #10
eelfliw
eelfliw is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XE
2002 SL

I wonder if the deal is only for the dealerships or does it include Saturn's marketing dept?

The marketing dept will determine what products to acquire, how to sell it and how to supply to the dealerships.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eelfliw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eelfliw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eelfliw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #11
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:

Lets also hope that Saturn is more successful than your current crop of NASCAR entrants.
Piney- IMO your concept would be a winner for Saturn... The Soul is a great car for college students, and young adults. The size, utility, and price is right...

What would make it perfect is to give it a polymer body and build it at Spring Hill... Penske needs to buy Spring Hill and Wilmington plants.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #12
saturn_69
Master Member

Hmmmm....does Penske get the Ion tooling? They could update the polymer skin, put a "normal" instrument panel in it (although I love my Cyclops!) to attract the "I would have bought an Ion were it not for the location of the gauges" crowd, stretch it an inch to add rear legroom, upgrade the interior quality, put on the 5-bolt/4-wheel disc Cobalt SS (not the t/c or s/c model) suspension and put in the XFE drivetrain in 2.0L form for an American-made, highly fuel effiecient yet fun to drive compact car that doesn't cost a fortune to buy or own. Heck, they could skin it in steel and I'd buy that car...although I wouldn't mind polymer.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-05-2009, 12:35 PM   #13
Michel1961
Michel1961 is on a distinguished road

Not quite clear as far as the Canadian dealership network is concerned (articles in French): http://monvolant.cyberpresse.ca/doss...dra-saturn.php
http://www.radio-canada.ca/nouvelles...n-penske.shtml

A more general worry, Penske is buying the parts inventory. Are they also buying our (extended) warranties ? So far, GM Canada isn't bankrupt and still owns our warranties...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Michel1961's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Michel1961 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Michel1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:37 PM   #14
Robor007
Advanced Member
Robor007 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalier View Post

Penske has both the business acumen and funding to ensure that Saturn remains a viable brand for years to come.

Given the possible other alternatives out there (Ta-Ta Motors, etc.) that the brand could have been sold to this is a major relief.

Mr. Penske, I thank you personally for salvaging the Saturn brand and implore you to do things that the previous owner, GM, failed to due which could have made the brand even stronger.

1. Advertise heavily (and not with cheesy commercials that tell us nothing about the actual car like GM did...MAKE people want to buy a Saturn and tell them why they're better off doing so).

2. Hold many, MANY focus groups with actual Saturn owners to see what they want out of their next Saturn and how best to keep the customer happy (is the return to polymer a possibility, Mr. Penske, since I'm sure you smart enough to know this is why many buyers....like myself...purchased a Saturn in the first place).

3. Ensure that the Saturn buying experience (and service work) is kept customer friendly as it has been in the past.

4. Build cars that are sleek but yet AFFORDABLE at the same time. Let's not have a repeat of the Astra experience.

Regarding the bolded... The Astra is the lowest priced Saturn vehicle available. In fact, there's not even a close 2nd... LINK

2008 Astra XR3 door 5sp - Silver Sand with premium trim, 18" rims, and advanced audio. (new owner as of 12/15)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Robor007's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Robor007 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Robor007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:37 PM   #15
PaulGraz
PaulGraz has a spectacular aura aboutPaulGraz has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn_69 View Post
Hmmmm....does Penske get the Ion tooling?
I'm guessing not. The Ion was listed in an article on DetNews.com, right next to the Penske announcement:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...otive+failures

----
~Paul
2001 LW200 (4th saturn owned) 248K+ Miles!
71 Volvo 1800E, 73 Volvo 1800ES, 08 Volvo C30, 11 Volvo V50
Gone on to other owners: 92 SL2, 95 SW2, 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaulGraz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaulGraz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PaulGraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #16
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:

Um, did you ever price an DOHC S-series? A loaded SC2, which still doesn't have the safety features of the Astra, cost just as much as an Astra 3-door XR. Seriously. My s/o had an '99 SC2 auto/sunroof/power everything/ABS and it cost $19,295, even more in 2002 when they stopped making them. That's more than an Astra XR 3-door (which starts at $18,995 and comes with Stabilitrak, a feature the S-series never even heard of, and more safety features standard then you could get on an S-series as options). The Astra is plenty affordable. Time to take off the rose-colored glasses in regards to the alleged inexpense of the S-series. Sure, they had a hair shirt model that started at around $10K ($9,995 in '02 - special SL1 model only), but not many people did without A/C or at least some creature comforts.

Last edited by saturn_69; 06-05-2009 at 02:30 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-05-2009, 02:25 PM   #17
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGraz View Post
I'm guessing not. The Ion was listed in an article on DetNews.com, right next to the Penske announcement:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...otive+failures
Where did that say they wouldn't get the tooling? I didn't see that, I just saw some D.A. writer find some GM cars to bash.

The Ion sold relatively well - over 150K a year at one point. How is that a failure? The looks of the Ion may not be for everybody, but the basic platform is sound and would make an inexpensive starting point to manufacture a new compact car for Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-05-2009, 03:33 PM   #18
ChgoBlues
ChgoBlues is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:

And what's wrong with the Astra? Considering the equipment and features, the vehicle is priced right. Price out a Volvo C30 with the same type of options and you're looking nearly 40 grand!

And as stated in another post, yes, price out an SC2 loaded and it comes in right at the same price and still not equipped anywhere near an Astra or gives you the quiet, sporty ride offered in the Astra. The Astra also comes with 16 more HP (DOHC 124 HP vs EcoTec 1.8 140 HP).

There will be no more Astras or Skys per their post on Facebook commenting about the sale.

08 Astra XR 3 door
Twilight Blue/Blk 5-spd
Splash Guards

08 Sky Red Line
Midnight Blue/Blk 5-spd
Splash Guards
Opel GT Antenna

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChgoBlues's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChgoBlues reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ChgoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:31 PM   #19
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Regarding the Detroit News piece:

GM was forced to continously improve the ION over its short run, and some of those improvements were for the better - most notably the inclusion of the 2.4L toward the end of its lifecycle, which gave more power without a fuel economy penalty. I'm not going to debate the merits of moving the instrument panel, it's polarizing style for sure, but Toyota does it with Scion and it's considered 'funky'. Go figure.

Considering how high fuel prices were getting when management decided to discontinue ION production and idle SH Manufacturing 15 months to retool for the Traverse - which is going to LDT at the end of this year - the decision to do so ranks high among the old GM's major missteps.

As for Penske - welcome aboard, and not a moment too soon. I'm sure the Saturn retailers that chose to keep their franchises open are feeling an overwhelming sense of relief.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

Last edited by GR898SL2; 06-06-2009 at 12:38 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:08 PM   #20
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Quote:
His Indy car series and Indy 500 records speaks for itself. Kickin' ass & takin' names it putting it lightly.

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote