SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Breaking News: Penske-Saturn Deal Could be Announced Within 24 Hours

A new feeditems entry has been added:

Breaking News: Penske-Saturn Deal Could be Announced Within 24 Hours

Quote:
Tim Higgins from the Detroit Free Press: Detroit business lion Roger Penske, who led the city's Super Bowl preparations, downtown cleanup program and revived Grand Prix racing on Belle Isle

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
youknowme
youknowme is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Breaking News: Penske-Saturn Deal Could be Announced Within 24 Hours

If its Penske, I'd rather see the brand die. He just wants to import crap cars from China. Yeah, that's what america needs, more junk from China. No thanks.

I had high hopes for a Magna-Opel-Saturn tie up. That would have kept at least a high quality car in the showroom...not the Plastic bodied independent thinking car company I'd like Saturn to return to being, but still better than what I've heard most of the other bidders want to do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to youknowme's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help youknowme reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
youknowme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L
Default Re: Breaking News: Penske-Saturn Deal Could be Announced Within 24 Hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowme View Post
If its Penske, I'd rather see the brand die. He just wants to import crap cars from China. Yeah, that's what america needs, more junk from China. No thanks.
Penske may well import cars from China or elsewhere but he will never sell "junk". He is among the most demanding business persons who exist anywhere and has always been known for high operational and quality standards. I would be shocked if a Roger Penske run company ever associates itself with "crap cars".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
youknowme
youknowme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10 View Post
Penske may well import cars from China or elsewhere but he will never sell "junk". He is among the most demanding business persons who exist anywhere and has always been known for high operational and quality standards. I would be shocked if a Roger Penske run company ever associates itself with "crap cars".
He's done a fair job with Smart, I'll say that...when even mighty MB was too chicken***** to take a chance.

Still China= Crap. Hows that chinese drywall holding up...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to youknowme's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help youknowme reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
youknowme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:08 PM   #5
PaulGraz
PaulGraz has a spectacular aura aboutPaulGraz has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Last I saw on this, Penske was looking at Renault to sell thier korean-made Samsung cars here - as Saturns.

This is not what I'd call "rescuing the brand"...

Penske is a smart guy - no pun intended. But he's buying Saturn to make a buck, not to appease us Saturn loyalists. I can understand his approach, even if I don't like it...

----
~Paul
2001 LW200 (4th saturn owned) 248K+ Miles!
71 Volvo 1800E, 73 Volvo 1800ES, 08 Volvo C30, 11 Volvo V50
Gone on to other owners: 92 SL2, 95 SW2, 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaulGraz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaulGraz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PaulGraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:29 AM   #6
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowme View Post
He's done a fair job with Smart, I'll say that...when even mighty MB was too chicken***** to take a chance.

Still China= Crap. Hows that chinese drywall holding up...
Don't mistake me for anyone who wants to import more from China but if you look at the wide range of the quality of Chinese products it ranges from junk to excellent. The reason it will not be junk in this case is Penske himself. He will demand higher quality and he usually gets what he demands. Penske once had some of his operations based here in eastern PA and his ways are well known to those of us who were here in those days. His old racing shop and garages near Reading Pa were so organized and clean that you could eat off the floor. He is a task master and perfectionist and will not accept anything less from those who work for him.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:37 AM   #7
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Seems just about done . . .
http://www.reuters.com/article/bankr...44428420090605

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:24 AM   #8
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Chinese cars are crap. Check out these 40mph test crashes on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5SRyG6UR2A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmpDM8wVrUQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=245NCBsj4Lc

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chillin05VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chillin05VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:35 AM   #9
Michel1961
Michel1961 is on a distinguished road

Press conference at 9am: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle1170210/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Michel1961's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Michel1961 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Michel1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:37 AM   #10
unit731
unit731 is on a distinguished road

The French tried entering the US market for the 2nd time with the purchase of AMC. AMC cars mixed with a few Made in France cars. The French cars, again, received a poor reception in the US market.

The French sold AMC to Chrysler and left the US market for the 2nd time.

Let's hope that if there is a French connection, it will be the Samsung cars and not the French cars. But it may all be semantics. A French car, no matter where it is manufactured is still a French car.

Bonjour, Mon Ami !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unit731's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unit731 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unit731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:37 AM   #11
Elizabeth
Elizabeth is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGraz View Post
Last I saw on this, Penske was looking at Renault to sell thier korean-made Samsung cars here - as Saturns.

This is not what I'd call "rescuing the brand"...

Penske is a smart guy - no pun intended. But he's buying Saturn to make a buck, not to appease us Saturn loyalists. I can understand his approach, even if I don't like it...
I couldn't agree more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Elizabeth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Elizabeth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:41 AM   #12
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin05VUE View Post
Yes, those videos are not very comforting....however, if any Chinese car is to be sold here it must first pass our emissions and safety regulations. Unless that happens (and the Chinese themselves say they won't be near ready for 5-7 years), I wouldn't worry about Chinese cars being parked next to you in the local Costco parking lot. Not gonna happen. Yet.

Penske will build Renaults here as Saturns.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:44 AM   #13
PaulGraz

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I've been following this pretty closely and I haven't seen anything about Penske sourcing cars from China.

He's looking at cars from South Korea. The same guys that brought us Hyundai and Kia.

Renault, the company who owns Nissan, also owns Samsung cars - which are made in S Korea and not yet sold here. That's what Penske is looking at.

Of course, what bugs me about this is - why would Renault bother buying Saturn? They've already got a full dealer and distribution chain setup here in the US for Nissan. They could simply sell their Samsung cars through that channel without spending a boatload of cash on Saturn.

----
~Paul

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help PaulGraz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-05-2009, 08:48 AM   #14
Elizabeth
Elizabeth is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

According to the current news releases, GM would continue to make cars for Saturn, but Penske would also sign deals with other automakers to manufacture vehicles for the brand.

Supposedly, the people on both sides who've said this are remaining anonymous because the plans haven't been made public yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Elizabeth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Elizabeth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #15
PaulGraz

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
The French tried entering the US market for the 2nd time with the purchase of AMC. AMC cars mixed with a few Made in France cars. The French cars, again, received a poor reception in the US market.

The French sold AMC to Chrysler and left the US market for the 2nd time.

Let's hope that if there is a French connection, it will be the Samsung cars and not the French cars. But it may all be semantics. A French car, no matter where it is manufactured is still a French car.

Bonjour, Mon Ami !
Try to remember how much gas was in the US when this happened. Yes, we had a short scare in the 70's with a gas shortage, and some European companies like Renault and Fiat, as well as a few british car companies tried to sell fuel efficient cars to Americans. Most could not put much of a dent in the market share that was owned by the Big 3 at the time.

It's easy to say those cars were crap, but were they really much worse than what the big 3 was selling at the time?

All of that is irrellevent to today. Renault has a decent market share in Europe and their cars are well respected now. And they are here in the US too - they sells cars under their Nissan brand.

I'm not looking forward to this change at all - and I kinda doubt I'll be buying one of these future Saturns - but we should look at the facts, and understand that Penske isn't going to be selling late 70's Le Cars...

----
~Paul

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-05-2009, 09:07 AM   #16
groingo
groingo is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Up Re: Breaking News: Penske-Saturn Deal Could be Announced Within 24 Hours

If Roger does it, it will be done right and chances are very good that Magna will still be part of the equation.

Penske has a long reputation for being very quality and innovation oriented, if his name is on it, it will be good stuff.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/06/05/news...ion=2009060509

94 Saturn SW1 (Cash for Clunkers Reject....no kidding)
96 SL2 (Rescued)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to groingo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help groingo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
groingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:23 AM   #17
Bwolf
Bwolf is on a distinguished road

Just a WAG, but I'd give Penske and Saturn a better chance of survival than the new, lean, core brand GM.

Look at who is leading Saturn.

Look at who is leading GM.

Any takers?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bwolf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bwolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:27 AM   #18
paulff3
paulff3 will become famous soon enoughpaulff3 will become famous soon enough

I think this is good news. My first choice was Magna/Opel becasue I own an Opel. But Penske will ensure our cars will be surviced well and parts will be available. He's a winner and will make this work.

I would like to welcome Roger to the Saturn family.

Everyone, please clap.

15 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Manual
14 BMW 435i M Sport 6speed
08 XR 5 speed - Blue with 3M film - SOLD!
03 Acura CLS 6speed - Silver with 3M film - SOLD!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulff3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulff3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paulff3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #19
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGraz View Post
Try to remember how much gas was in the US when this happened. Yes, we had a short scare in the 70's with a gas shortage, and some European companies like Renault and Fiat, as well as a few british car companies tried to sell fuel efficient cars to Americans. Most could not put much of a dent in the market share that was owned by the Big 3 at the time.

It's easy to say those cars were crap, but were they really much worse than what the big 3 was selling at the time?

All of that is irrellevent to today. Renault has a decent market share in Europe and their cars are well respected now. And they are here in the US too - they sells cars under their Nissan brand.

I'm not looking forward to this change at all - and I kinda doubt I'll be buying one of these future Saturns - but we should look at the facts, and understand that Penske isn't going to be selling late 70's Le Cars...
They were worse. Much much worse than what the Big Three was selling.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:44 AM   #20
SW2Muck
SW2Muck is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

I don't know how Renault's quality is nowadays, but honestly their lineup looks a lot better than Samsung's, which are nothing but rebadged Nissans:
http://www.renaultsamsungm.com/main/index.jsp
http://www.renault.co.uk/cars/range.aspx

Andrew "SW2Muck" Muck

"Do you know your place, in the big charade? Are you more than they?"
-Bad Religion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SW2Muck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SW2Muck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SW2Muck is offline   Reply With Quote