SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
wifeofcore
Administrator
wifeofcore is on a distinguished road

Default GM Seeking Out Companies to Purchase Saturn?

A new story entry has been added:

GM Seeking Out Companies to Purchase Saturn?

Quote:
The Economic Times is reporting that bankers representing General Motors have approached more than a dozen firms about purchasing Saturn. Two of the firms that were reportedly on their list were Indian based automobile companies, Mahindra & Mahindra and Tata Motors. No other information was given.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wifeofcore's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wifeofcore reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wifeofcore is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2009, 11:59 AM   #2
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

Default Re: GM Seeking Out Companies to Purchase Saturn?

It would make sense for Mahindra & Mahindra as they are planning on importing their small diesel powered pickup truck to the U.S. soon. They could sell it along side of present and future multi-sourced Saturns. This could be interesting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
unit731
unit731 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
It would make sense for Mahindra & Mahindra as they are planning on importing their small diesel powered pickup truck to the U.S. soon. They could sell it along side of present and future multi-sourced Saturns. This could be interesting.
Well, this car, still being produced in India, could be imported to Saturn dealers from India. This is a tried and true design.

The Hindustan Ambassador. Model year 2009.

Might attract the nostalgia crowd.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unit731's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unit731 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unit731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:13 PM   #4
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

It's been discussed on here a few times before...even IF Indian or Chinese cars were imported to the U.S. it would be a few years before they could EVEN BE imported; as the emissions controls on imported cars have to be tested first, and I am pretty sure that Indian/Chinese autos aren't currently up to U.S. standards when it comes to emissions...

Besides that...what is Nostalgic on the above car?
It looks like it was built in 1950....
No representation of a Saturn S-Series there, if that is what you were trying to get at...

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:33 PM   #5
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post

Put a black emblem on the hood, some white-face gauges, maybe paint the mirrors and call it a "21st Century Homecoming Edition". (Or perhaps more accurately, a "Chickens coming Home to Roost Edition"....)

(Except "Ambassador" would remind people of AMC....)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
unit731
unit731 is on a distinguished road

The latest model is quite impressive.

Don't know if these cars have airbags or not. But this newer model has an AM/FM casette.

This car could be in Saturn's future for a good price.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unit731's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unit731 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unit731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:57 PM   #7
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

This is

THREAD FAIL

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #8
plato
plato is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SC2

it's got one more gear than the Astra....5 speeds!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plato's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plato reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:26 PM   #9
cavalier
cavalier is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Put a black emblem on the hood, some white-face gauges, maybe paint the mirrors and call it a "21st Century Homecoming Edition". (Or perhaps more accurately, a "Chickens coming Home to Roost Edition"....)

(Except "Ambassador" would remind people of AMC....)
As long as they can put a polymer skin on that ***** car in the photo I'm sure the company would be able to sell a few to the old-school Saturn loyalists who are always clamoring for the return to plastic.

Really, though, if GM is seriously considering selling Saturn to either of these two companies I'm predicting we'll see the closure of between another 25-75 Saturn dealerships by month's end.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cavalier's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cavalier reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #10
plato
plato is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SC2

wait...I thought Saturn and GM execs were the ones screening the countless offers. Here it says they are the ones approaching other companies. Which is which?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plato's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plato reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:44 PM   #11
Project
Project is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Well, this car, still being produced in India, could be imported to Saturn dealers from India. This is a tried and true design.

Might attract the nostalgia crowd.
that looks like somebody took an old volvo body a vw bug top and mini front and combined them

Astra XR 3-door Blue (RIP Dec 22, 2010)
Mini Cooper S Horizon Blue/White

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Project's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Project reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #12
marcusevan
marcusevan is on a distinguished road

:w hoa:Yeah in response to Plato, the news yesterday was that Saturn had 16 suitors. Now we hear from this article that GM is approaching bankers to find a buyer for Saturn and the two potential buyers are from India and China. Please someone tell me what happened to Penske and Magna. Please tell me what happened or what did I miss? Worse than that Saturn is not even listed in the top 20 vehicles sold. When I was at Saturn from 1992 until 2007, we at least had one vehicle in the top 20 sold. what has happened?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marcusevan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marcusevan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marcusevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:07 PM   #13
BOB'Saturn
BOB'Saturn is on a distinguished road

1991 SL2

Honda, Kia, Scion, and a number of other car companies have offered AT LEAST one BUTT UGLY car in the last few years; so, Saturn COULD sell a BUTT UGLY car from India or China, BUT I WON"T BUY ONE!!! If it (My NEXT SATURN) isn't built here, I might just as well by a TOYOTA that IS, and I don't plan on buying a Toyota. If GM doesn't treat Saturn fairly and give it a fair chance, I might just as well buy a Toyota,... AND if GM rewards Management (for creating this mess) after taking from their workers,...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BOB'Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BOB'Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BOB'Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:50 PM   #14
2NDSOUT
Master Member

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusevan View Post
:w hoa:Yeah in response to Plato, the news yesterday was that Saturn had 16 suitors. Now we hear from this article that GM is approaching bankers to find a buyer for Saturn and the two potential buyers are from India and China. Please someone tell me what happened to Penske and Magna. Please tell me what happened or what did I miss? Worse than that Saturn is not even listed in the top 20 vehicles sold. When I was at Saturn from 1992 until 2007, we at least had one vehicle in the top 20 sold. what has happened?
Sorry, but have you been out of the loop or living under a rock?

The Magna deal is dead. According to published reports as of yesterday, the stipulation with Magna buying Opel means that if Magna were to manufacture Opels, they cannot be sold in the U.S.; only Canada.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-04-2009, 04:53 PM   #15
2NDSOUT
Master Member

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB'Saturn View Post
Honda, Kia, Scion, and a number of other car companies have offered AT LEAST one BUTT UGLY car in the last few years; so, Saturn COULD sell a BUTT UGLY car from India or China, BUT I WON"T BUY ONE!!! If it (My NEXT SATURN) isn't built here, I might just as well by a TOYOTA that IS, and I don't plan on buying a Toyota. If GM doesn't treat Saturn fairly and give it a fair chance, I might just as well buy a Toyota,... AND if GM rewards Management (for creating this mess) after taking from their workers,...
Saturn hasn't been treated fairly by GM since the mid 90s....

Starving a car brand and not updating it for years is a GREAT way to run a new car company.... "EXCITING TIMES back then AND Now!"

The VUE was about 2 years too late....

The RELAY was a rebadge, that nobody wanted (and quite frankly was a bad idea in the first place)....

The L-Series had it's good and bad points....

There's plenty more....

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-04-2009, 05:36 PM   #16
marcusevan
marcusevan is on a distinguished road

to 2ndsout, sorry, not out of the loop and not under a rock, I guess a bad effort at sarcasm. I read yesterday that Magna was out of the picture. However, according to another thread from some one else, he or she is quoting from the Detroit news that it looks close to a deal with Penske. My only complaint it that when I worked for Saturn for 15 years at a retail facility in Louisiana, We always bragged about being an import fighter, That does not seem to be the case today if Saturn is a rebadged Mitsu or Nissan.
I dont kknow about a lot of other customers, but I know that the majority of customers that I was in contact with over the last 15 years, will not continue to buy from Saturn if that is the case even though the buying experience is next to none.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marcusevan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marcusevan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marcusevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #17
2NDSOUT
Master Member

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusevan View Post
to 2ndsout, sorry, not out of the loop and not under a rock, I guess a bad effort at sarcasm. I read yesterday that Magna was out of the picture. However, according to another thread from some one else, he or she is quoting from the Detroit news that it looks close to a deal with Penske. My only complaint it that when I worked for Saturn for 15 years at a retail facility in Louisiana, We always bragged about being an import fighter, That does not seem to be the case today if Saturn is a rebadged Mitsu or Nissan.
I dont kknow about a lot of other customers, but I know that the majority of customers that I was in contact with over the last 15 years, will not continue to buy from Saturn if that is the case even though the buying experience is next to none.

That's understandable...I have heard the same thing; actually you probably the read the article...I posted an article that had a direct quote from someone who is on the FOT for Saturn where that person had mentioned that the Penske/Nissan deal was going to be announced at the end of June or July.

Penske would be named as distributor while Renault/Nissan would be named to manufacture.

Who knows what is going to happen. It will be a LONG time before I buy another car. BUT I will say that even if Renault/Nissan gets Saturn, Nissan's cars are not crap like they once used to be...who knows; if Saturn ends up under the Renault/Nissan umbrella...maybe they COULD make good cars

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-04-2009, 06:27 PM   #18
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

Here's a link to the diesel pickup truck:

http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/new...idandmore.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:33 PM   #19
PortCityShawn
PortCityShawn is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
The Magna deal is dead. According to published reports as of yesterday, the stipulation with Magna buying Opel means that if Magna were to manufacture Opels, they cannot be sold in the U.S.; only Canada.
Stupid question... if you build it at an Opel plant & sell it as a Saturn, is it still selling an Opel in the US? Last I checked you couldn't buy an Opel here, but you can buy an Astra!

Shawn

Shawn Beaudoin
eBusiness Manager
Saturn of Portsmouth
Portsmouth, NH

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortCityShawn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortCityShawn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PortCityShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:04 PM   #20
2NDSOUT
Master Member

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCityShawn View Post
Stupid question... if you build it at an Opel plant & sell it as a Saturn, is it still selling an Opel in the US? Last I checked you couldn't buy an Opel here, but you can buy an Astra!
It could have been considered that yes. Magna made the deal to buy Opel, but one of the stipulations of the deal was that they couldn't sell Saturns in the U.S. only in Canada.

I think the Penske deal sounds better anyway...I think the whole Telesto/Black Oak LLC was a bunch of hot air.

Then again...ANYTHING can happen.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!