SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2009, 09:03 AM   #1
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE
Thumbs Up New Drilled/Slotted Rotors

Hey guys, I haven't been around the forum much, very busy lately. Anyway, my rotors started pulsating again, and I knew I was going to need pads. (37k) So I started to check my options for what to replace the stock ones with.

I have been toying with the idea of drilled/slotted rotors for a while. I know that some people do not recommend them for a multitude of reasons. The main reason why I decided to look at them is because of their resistance to warp. One thing that really gets on my nerves is pulsating rotors, and how on GM products like ours, it happens every few thousand miles.

I read lots of warnings about buying cheap drilled/slotted rotors, so I looked around a bit.

After some searching, I ended up at OC Autosports. There are a few different forums out there who have done group buys, and all tend to be happy with the quality of these rotors.

I ordered front and rear cross drilled and slotted rotors (rear double drilled), and semi-metallic pads. Shipping was "free" and the total was $260. Overall, I thought that it was a pretty good price.

A friend of mine and I installed them, took us about two hours. Pretty straightforward.

My initial impressions: For the first ~500 miles they made a noticeable "winding/woosh" type noise when you were stopping. I was warned that they do make noise, and was initially turned off by this. After about 500 miles, the noise has become much much quieter, and cannot be heard under normal braking, only hard braking. This was a relief.

One thing to consider: When you order drilled/slotted rotors, you are actually losing surface area on the rotor, this means less braking power. It's not very noticeable, but the pedal requires slightly more pressure. It's not uncomfortable, just slightly different. Upon heavy braking, much more pressure is required. Something anyone could get used to within a few hundred miles. There is not a feeling of brake fade. One thing I noticed is that the braking feels much more responsive than with stock/blank rotors.

Auras come stock with ceramic pads, it was recommended to use semi-metallic pads with these rotors. I was worried about brake dust. I have noticed no more or less brake dust as a result of switching over, after the initial break in period.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the purchase. Only time will tell if they are going to perform how I intend them to perform. The main reason I purchased them is to avoid warpage.

Here's a picture of the front and rear, installed (please excuse the dirtiness of the wheels, I didn't have time to wash the car before the pics.):

And also, just for kicks... Here's two recent pics of my car. About a month ago it got it's spring cleaning: Claybar, polish, wax, etc. This is just after a wash and quick detail. Check out the results, shiny as hell:

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
cverstij
cverstij is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2008 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: New Drilled/Slotted Rotors

I did mine too and I love them!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cverstij's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cverstij reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cverstij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

Looking Good Dude...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
AuraDrvr89
Master Member

2007 AURA XE

Thanks guys! I'm really happy with the brakes! This may put an end to the warping madness.

-Joel

Then:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-08-2009, 12:11 PM   #5
lococrzy
lococrzy is on a distinguished road

Hey have you used the Steally yet?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lococrzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lococrzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lococrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:47 AM   #6
AuraDrvr89
Master Member

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lococrzy View Post
Hey have you used the Steally yet?
Yep, it's on the car, I had to replace the wheelcover too because it was cracked ($70), and the TPM for that wheel. ($70! )

But the mounted the tire on the new rim and balanced it for "free."

Thanks for saving me some money, man! I can only imagine how much it would have cost if I would have had to pay retail price for the steel wheel too!

UGH, they took me for a ride. All because I whacked a damn pothole.

-Joel

Then:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-11-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
lococrzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraDrvr89 View Post
Yep, it's on the car, I had to replace the wheelcover too because it was cracked ($70), and the TPM for that wheel. ($70! )

But the mounted the tire on the new rim and balanced it for "free."

Thanks for saving me some money, man! I can only imagine how much it would have cost if I would have had to pay retail price for the steel wheel too!

UGH, they took me for a ride. All because I whacked a damn pothole.
$70!!!! for shiny plastic?!?!?!?!?! did you go to the stealership? you should have tried ebay or something. but yes wacking stuff with your car at a high rate of speed can be pretty costly! it cost me tree fity, and i got lucky the suspension wasnt trashed the only thing that happened was that my caliper got stuck and i had to change my breaks kind of early.

Also you always talk about disc warpage, even with driving my car for like 15k miles with a stuck caliper making alot of heat, and driving on twistie canyon roads for about the fist 10 to 15k miles of my car mine never warped and my front brakes lasted me a year under those conditions i think the car had 30k or so on it when i changed them.

im thinking you might get warpage dues to the snow or something in NY. i saw a few days of snow in ca lol but nothing nearly as bad as what you guys get.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lococrzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
AuraDrvr89
Master Member

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
$70!!!! for shiny plastic?!?!?!?!?! did you go to the stealership? you should have tried ebay or something. but yes wacking stuff with your car at a high rate of speed can be pretty costly! it cost me tree fity, and i got lucky the suspension wasnt trashed the only thing that happened was that my caliper got stuck and i had to change my breaks kind of early.

Also you always talk about disc warpage, even with driving my car for like 15k miles with a stuck caliper making alot of heat, and driving on twistie canyon roads for about the fist 10 to 15k miles of my car mine never warped and my front brakes lasted me a year under those conditions i think the car had 30k or so on it when i changed them.

im thinking you might get warpage dues to the snow or something in NY. i saw a few days of snow in ca lol but nothing nearly as bad as what you guys get.
Yeah, well I looked for the wheelcover, and couldn't find one anywhere. I had them put the old one on thinking it would look okay, and it looked like crap. So they sold me one, $70. I got totally bent over on that one.

Yes, as far as warpage, I had big problems with it. The car was in a few different times over the course of my ownership. At about 10k, the fronts were replaced, at about 20k the rotors were turned and at about 32k, they were turned again. By the time 37k came around, they started to pulsate yet AGAIN! So that was it for me, time for drilled slots. From what I have heard it definitely is the snow/salt, that's the only time of year I have had the problem. And many many other people report the same issue!

And, I'm not even hard on my brakes!

Hopefully these drilled/slotted rotors last for a long time.

I have heard from a few folks around here that drilled rotors seemed to do the trick as far as preventing warping, so we'll see. Even at the price I paid I wouldn't mind if I have to replace them in a few years.

-Joel

Then:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #9
lococrzy

Quote:
Yeah, well I looked for the wheelcover, and couldn't find one anywhere. I had them put the old one on thinking it would look okay, and it looked like crap. So they sold me one, $70. I got totally bent over on that one.

Yes, as far as warpage, I had big problems with it. The car was in a few different times over the course of my ownership. At about 10k, the fronts were replaced, at about 20k the rotors were turned and at about 32k, they were turned again. By the time 37k came around, they started to pulsate yet AGAIN! So that was it for me, time for drilled slots. From what I have heard it definitely is the snow/salt, that's the only time of year I have had the problem. And many many other people report the same issue!

And, I'm not even hard on my brakes!

Hopefully these drilled/slotted rotors last for a long time.

I have heard from a few folks around here that drilled rotors seemed to do the trick as far as preventing warping, so we'll see. Even at the price I paid I wouldn't mind if I have to replace them in a few years.
i should do mine for looks lol and for increased stopping power But i have to get the rear brakes done first. o yeah and my car is going in this weekend for a stearing rack replace a driver side wheel bearing and a driver side shock
$1500 bucks!!!!! but luckily i only have to pay for the shock replacement everything else my dealer got Saturn to pay for i love my dealer

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-11-2009, 09:45 PM   #10
AuraDrvr89
Master Member

2007 AURA XE
Attention Re: New Drilled/Slotted Rotors

Quote:
i should do mine for looks lol and for increased stopping power But i have to get the rear brakes done first. o yeah and my car is going in this weekend for a stearing rack replace a driver side wheel bearing and a driver side shock
$1500 bucks!!!!! but luckily i only have to pay for the shock replacement everything else my dealer got Saturn to pay for i love my dealer
$1500? Good thing they are covering some of the cost. How many miles do you have on your Aura now?

Also, remember that if you go drilled/slotted, you are getting less stopping power than you had before. Think about it this way, every drill hole and slot removes surface area. That's less area for the pad to contact the rotor, which equals less stopping power. The only way to gain more stopping power is with BIGGER rotors, which is a pain in the ass apparently.

The decreased stopping power is really only noticeable under harder braking. It's not dangerous, but it's different and requires more effort on the pedal.

The ticket on these is that they run much cooler, there is no brake fade, and they supposedly last much longer than blank rotors. (plus they look sweet as hell.)

Also note, the rotors WILL make a noticeable noise when stopping for the first 500 miles or so. This does go away once the pads are properly seated.

Bottom line, you shouldn't regret the decision to put these on your car.

Especially with the ridiculously large amount of miles that you drive.

Good luck Rick.

-Joel

Then:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-12-2009, 10:34 AM   #11
metgol
metgol is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

Wait till you get used to the rotors and then start braking hard for fun. I just cleaned my front wheels; the wheels were a pewter color from all the brake dust.

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to metgol's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help metgol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
metgol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:45 PM   #12
lococrzy

Quote:
$1500? Good thing they are covering some of the cost. How many miles do you have on your Aura now?

Also, remember that if you go drilled/slotted, you are getting less stopping power than you had before. Think about it this way, every drill hole and slot removes surface area. That's less area for the pad to contact the rotor, which equals less stopping power. The only way to gain more stopping power is with BIGGER rotors, which is a pain in the ass apparently.

The decreased stopping power is really only noticeable under harder braking. It's not dangerous, but it's different and requires more effort on the pedal.

The ticket on these is that they run much cooler, there is no brake fade, and they supposedly last much longer than blank rotors. (plus they look sweet as hell.)

Also note, the rotors WILL make a noticeable noise when stopping for the first 500 miles or so. This does go away once the pads are properly seated.

Bottom line, you shouldn't regret the decision to put these on your car.

Especially with the ridiculously large amount of miles that you drive.

Good luck Rick.
My car is at 50K now. engine is strong trany is good everything is perfect and i really do drive the hell out of it im not easy on it at all lol.

I might look into Doing these to my car if i ever get around to it. for now i must wait.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-12-2009, 11:58 PM   #13
bue05
Advanced Member
bue05 will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XE

Auradrvr89- Those look super sweet man!! Good Job.. I think the look and lack of warpage alone is worth it!! P.s. I love your freaking shinny wheel covers. The standard ones such as mine the gray ones are 60.00 dollars each from the stealership.. so 10 extra for the chrome or shinny ones. I did notice it appears you have a scratch in the one!

Lococrazy-, Why do you need the steering rack replaced?? My i.s.s. has been replaced twice and this last time the steering wheel is making all kind of squeaky rubbing noises when turning it freaking annoying.. argghh.. love to hear about your steering issues too. I know i have had, auradrvr89, as well as others on here lots of steering/front end/suspension work done on ours too..

bue05

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bue05's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bue05 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bue05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:18 PM   #14
AuraDrvr89
Master Member

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bue05 View Post
Auradrvr89- Those look super sweet man!! Good Job.. I think the look and lack of warpage alone is worth it!! P.s. I love your freaking shinny wheel covers. The standard ones such as mine the gray ones are 60.00 dollars each from the stealership.. so 10 extra for the chrome or shinny ones. I did notice it appears you have a scratch in the one!

Lococrazy-, Why do you need the steering rack replaced?? My i.s.s. has been replaced twice and this last time the steering wheel is making all kind of squeaky rubbing noises when turning it freaking annoying.. argghh.. love to hear about your steering issues too. I know i have had, auradrvr89, as well as others on here lots of steering/front end/suspension work done on ours too..

bue05
They are pretty excellent. If you can get some cheap, go for it. And yes, there are a few scratches, but they are mostly unnoticeable. The winter took a toll on them, I probably should have kept the originals and put those on just for the winter.

Also, I'm not quite sure yet but I believe the ISS on my Aura is acting up again. It's very very quiet and nearly unnoticeable right now, I'll probably wait a bit before heading into the dealership.

-Joel

Then:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-15-2009, 02:48 PM   #15
lococrzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bue05 View Post

bue05
Ok so its not my stearing rack its the intermediate stearing shaft like what you guys got but the strut and strut bearing and brace are being replaced as well. i took it in the car was there all day sat but they did nothing to turns out the misplaced the parts lol, i think im getting a free break job next time i go in WOOT!!! lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-17-2009, 03:48 PM   #16
AuraDrvr89
Master Member

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Ok so its not my stearing rack its the intermediate stearing shaft like what you guys got but the strut and strut bearing and brace are being replaced as well. i took it in the car was there all day sat but they did nothing to turns out the misplaced the parts lol, i think im getting a free break job next time i go in WOOT!!! lol
Dude, mine just started clunking again yesterday!

-Joel

Then:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-17-2009, 08:10 PM   #17
Threxx
Threxx is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR

Is this steering noise issue fixed for 2009?

Or does it even exist on the 4-cyl with electric power steering?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Threxx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Threxx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Threxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:00 PM   #18
AuraDrvr89
Master Member

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threxx View Post
Is this steering noise issue fixed for 2009?

Or does it even exist on the 4-cyl with electric power steering?
I can't verify, but I would assume the noise still exists. This has been going on for YEARS.

-Joel

Then:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-19-2009, 03:10 PM   #19
Threxx
Threxx is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR

Quote:
I can't verify, but I would assume the noise still exists. This has been going on for YEARS.
What causes it, and how does it start?

When you say years do you mean since the Aura came out ~3 years ago or in other models as well? Does it not also happen on the Malibu?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Threxx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Threxx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Threxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:18 PM   #20
SchwrtzIsBlk
SchwrtzIsBlk is on a distinguished road

She cleans up nice mang!
Would you have and recommendations for plus sized wheels and tires?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SchwrtzIsBlk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SchwrtzIsBlk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SchwrtzIsBlk is offline   Reply With Quote