SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2009, 07:49 AM   #1
frankski
frankski is on a distinguished road

Default Opel in Canada?

Dont know if its old news, but in the article they would bring Opel to Canada, but part of the deal with GM they would not distribute in the US.

http://autos.canada.com/news/story.html?id=1666930

Frankski

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to frankski's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help frankski reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
frankski is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2009, 08:54 AM   #2
Michel1961
Michel1961 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Opel in Canada?

Let's keep in mind GM still owns a very large stake in Opel. This sounds like Magna will be selling its Insignia as an Opel in Canada (and across Europe and Australia), while GM will be selling its Insignia as a Buick in the US and China (phasing out the Saturn/Opel models over 2 years). This could be a Matrix vs Vibe type of situation but with some kind of agreement not to compete against each other in specific markets.

I wonder what Penske will be doing with those Saturn dealerships if he's can't sell Opels or rebadged Opels in 2 years...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Michel1961's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Michel1961 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Michel1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
Michel1961

Further to this, and closer to my heart, what happens to Saturn in Canada ? Neither Magna nor Penske bought the Saturn dealerships it seems. Penske owns the parts inventory but is not interested in Saturn in Canada. Were does that leave us ? Are we orphaned ? My service was recently transfered from a Saturn dealership to a Chev, which is now closing. One of the two remaining Saturn dealerships in the region is also closing. I suspect the last one will also be gone soon (what would they be selling and where would they get their parts from ?)

GM Canada is not under Chapter 11 protection. I own a leased Saturn (from GMAC) with an extended GM warranty, where does that leave me ? GMAC may 'own' me, but where have the qualified service technicians and the parts inventory gone ? And what dealership will be willing to take warranty work on ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Michel1961 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-06-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
frankski
frankski is on a distinguished road

Same for me, my dealership also closed and now I need to go to the Chevrolet... where are you? I'm in Montreal-West Island.

I also have a loan for my Astra. Fortunately I am only stuck with this car for 3 years, then they can take it back.

Just remember, there is a law for automaker selling cars in Canada to keep enough spare parts for long enough, don't know the details, but this is in case a company go bankrupt. I think its the same with warranties.

I thought Penske wanted to sell Saturns in Canada too. What I also read is Magna will import and sell Opel in Canada but not in the US. Personally I would prefer going to Opel than whatever new Saturn/Penske selling Korean cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to frankski's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help frankski reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
frankski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:03 PM   #5
rollsroyce250
rollsroyce250 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankski View Post
I thought Penske wanted to sell Saturns in Canada too. What I also read is Magna will import and sell Opel in Canada but not in the US. Personally I would prefer going to Opel than whatever new Saturn/Penske selling Korean cars.
Should make for some very interesting purchasing options. However, for the next 2 years, it appears that Saturn will be selling the same old rebadged GM stuff that nobody has been buying lately. The question is: Can the surviving Saturn dealers, both in the US and Canada, hold on for another 2 years before the "new" Saturn product kicks in? I read that Penske will cut prices on the GM cars by $3k-$4k. If so, that should stimulate sales enough to keep them going. I'm looking forward to Opel in Canada.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rollsroyce250's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rollsroyce250 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rollsroyce250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:21 PM   #6
Sival
Sival will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankski View Post
Same for me, my dealership also closed and now I need to go to the Chevrolet... where are you? I'm in Montreal-West Island.

I also have a loan for my Astra. Fortunately I am only stuck with this car for 3 years, then they can take it back.

Just remember, there is a law for automaker selling cars in Canada to keep enough spare parts for long enough, don't know the details, but this is in case a company go bankrupt. I think its the same with warranties.

Which Saturn dealership closed in Montréal? There was talk about the one on Île-des-Soeurs a few months back but it was saved then. Has there been any news that hasn't reached my ears?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sival's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sival reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:45 AM   #7
Michel1961

Not sure what the situation is in Montreal but the GM web site lists 3 dealerships on the island: Mondial, West-Island and Ile-des-Soeurs. Cant' tell whether those are still open (many of the closing dealerships in Gatineau are still listed).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #8
AstraNorth
AstraNorth is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Well.....at least my Saturn dealer will not have to go far to get parts for my Astra....which I plan to keep for years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraNorth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraNorth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraNorth is offline   Reply With Quote