SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2009, 08:27 AM   #1
02OrangeSC2
02OrangeSC2 is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY Red Line
2004 ION Red Line
Question ASTRA Owners

Anyone used theirs to tow a trailer? I just bought a SEA DOO, and Im wondering how the Astra would handle towing it. I know the SEA DOO is below the weight that the car is recommended to tow, but since the ASTRA is a dog as is, Im wondering if it is worth the money to buy a hitch.

The most Saturn's in Erie County Ohio
96 SL2 Gold
96 SC2 Red
02 SC2 Orange
04 ION RL GM Stage 2 Electric Blue
07 SKY RL GM Stage Kit Silver Graphite
10 SKY RL Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02OrangeSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02OrangeSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02OrangeSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
chadbt
chadbt is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: ASTRA Owners

From the Astra Owner Manual: "The vehicle is neither designed nor intended to tow a trailer."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chadbt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chadbt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chadbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:37 PM   #3
OPEL Blitz
Advanced Member
OPEL Blitz is on a distinguished road

How much does a Sea doo weigh? Is it less than a caravan? If yes, you're pretty safe. The people who wrote the Saturn owners manual probably suffer from the same missconception as many of their countrymen, that you need a F350 with a 500 liter V12 (developing 165 horsepower) to tow anything at all. You've got 140 horsepower and 1796 cc to tow around stuff with! Thats alot!

2007 OPEL Astra Diesel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OPEL Blitz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OPEL Blitz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OPEL Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

The owner's manual says what it says, but outside of the US, people often tow with their Astras.

The tow capacity for the Vauxhall Astra 3-door, 1.8 L, is 1300 kg (2866 lbs).

In other words, yes, your Astra would handle your Sea Doo just fine. But your retailer might claim that it would void your warranty, and since it's listed in your owner's manual, they would have a case.

Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
OPEL Blitz
Advanced Member

Opel, being German, have of course brought the caravan along for the evasive manouver testing.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/2040630....bility-program

2007 OPEL Astra Diesel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OPEL Blitz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-14-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
Sirraven
Sirraven is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

^
The thing to think about with that though is what type of hitch does the Opel car have. Different hitches load the body structure differently, and its not usually the engine that limits what you can tow, but actually the body structure. I would think your Sea-Doo would be fine, but its just something else to think about.

08 Saturn Astra
5dr XR Twilight Blue
-Manual Transmission
-Advanced Audio Pkg
-Sport Handling Pkg
-Dual Panel Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sirraven's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sirraven reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sirraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:31 PM   #7
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

I had 500 lbs of topsoil (in bags) in the trunk this weekend, and the car still drove fine, and I had plenty of power. I would think the tongue weight of a sea-doo would be far less than 500 lbs. You would probably be fine.

Drives: 2014 Volt, 2015 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emg77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emg77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:47 PM   #8
SaturnRaycer
SaturnRaycer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Tackepj & Chad have valid points about it being clearly spelled out in the owners manual and it possibly voiding your warranty. IIRC there are precious few American cars that "allow" for trailering anymore. I suspect it may have more to do with the braking and stability capabilities (as well as lawsuit aversion), than the towing capapcity.

There are many reputable companies who can design/install a hitch for your car. I doubt that a single trailer and Sea-doo will exceed 2000 lbs or 200 lb tongue weight (Class I hitch).

Rex
2008 Astra XR
5 dr, 5 spd, sport package
Black Sapphire

If you're going to wave, use all your fingers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnRaycer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnRaycer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnRaycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:37 PM   #9
kbg1
kbg1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2003 ION-2 Sedan

hi
i cannot believe these cars cannot tow anything,and that doing so would void the warranty.

i see that a poster with a hitch on his astra already has chimed in.
any problems with warranty work on SirRavens?

Last edited by kbg1; 04-14-2009 at 09:45 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kbg1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kbg1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kbg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:49 PM   #10
Germane German
Germane German is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPEL Blitz View Post
Opel, being German, have of course brought the caravan along for the evasive manouver testing.

I don't think the Astra is pulling that load up quite as steep of a hill as the picture implies but maybe the jet that made the contrail in the sky behind it is going into orbit? In that case it is. ;>)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Germane German's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Germane German reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Germane German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:22 PM   #11
Layoira
Layoira is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germane German View Post
I don't think the Astra is pulling that load up quite as steep of a hill as the picture implies but maybe the jet that made the contrail in the sky behind it is going into orbit? In that case it is. ;>)
as are the clouds They seem to prefer a diagonal position

~Christina~
Astra XR5: 3M Film,GID, Arm Rest, SRi Wheel, Tints (50/35/13), Pioneer Nav Unit, Debadged, Glovebox Cooling, VXR Surrounds, Painted Grill, XP Spoiler, HIDS, Footwell Lighting. Pics Up :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Layoira's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Layoira reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Layoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:26 AM   #12
DraconianAC
DraconianAC is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I bought a hitch for my 4dr XR. It was a pain to mount it myself, but I was not going to pay $200 dollars for the dealership to do it. I bought mine from etrailer.com. So far so good, but I'm only using it for my bike rack. There is only a 1 & 1/4 inch version hitch for the Astra. I'll post some pictures of it later if you like.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DraconianAC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DraconianAC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DraconianAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:34 AM   #13
72gssaturn
Advanced Member
72gssaturn will become famous soon enough72gssaturn will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

if u want to tow a house trailer behind your astra, go ahead. as far as i am concerned, u tow a trailer (caravan) with a truck. it's is lot safer!

Gerry
72 Buick GS red
2008 Astra XR black 3dr
99 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 72gssaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 72gssaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
72gssaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:09 PM   #14
02OrangeSC2
02OrangeSC2 is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY Red Line
2004 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraconianAC View Post
I bought a hitch for my 4dr XR. It was a pain to mount it myself, but I was not going to pay $200 dollars for the dealership to do it. I bought mine from etrailer.com. So far so good, but I'm only using it for my bike rack. There is only a 1 & 1/4 inch version hitch for the Astra. I'll post some pictures of it later if you like.
I saw that same hitch. If you could post pictures, that would be great. Im curious to see what it would look like.

I know the owners manual says that the vehicle wasn't designed to tow, but that does not mean it cant. I believe the total weight of the SEA DOO and trailer is 1000lb or less, so I doubt I will have a problem. I was more concerned if I would have a noticeable loss of acceleration.

The most Saturn's in Erie County Ohio
96 SL2 Gold
96 SC2 Red
02 SC2 Orange
04 ION RL GM Stage 2 Electric Blue
07 SKY RL GM Stage Kit Silver Graphite
10 SKY RL Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02OrangeSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02OrangeSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02OrangeSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:25 PM   #15
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackepj View Post
The tow capacity for the Vauxhall Astra 3-door, 1.8 L, is 1300 kg (2866 lbs).
2866 lbs?
Christ, that's almost the weight of the car.

On page 8-32 of our wonderful bible, it states:

"6. If your vehicle will be towing a trailer, the load from your trailer will be transferred to your vehicle. Consult this manual to determine how this reduces the available cargo and luggage load capacity of your vehicle.

The vehicle is neither designed nor intended to tow a trailer
"
WTF?

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

Last edited by unkle bik; 04-15-2009 at 02:32 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #16
Sirraven
Sirraven is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

FYI

I have 2 quick pics of my hitch here. I only plan on using mine for bikes though. I can see what I can do for better pics if you want, I know they are not the greatest, but I took them quickly and didnt jack the car back up. It was cold outside and I was being lazy.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132490

08 Saturn Astra
5dr XR Twilight Blue
-Manual Transmission
-Advanced Audio Pkg
-Sport Handling Pkg
-Dual Panel Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sirraven's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sirraven reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sirraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:31 PM   #17
OPEL Blitz
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germane German View Post
But it's such a stylish angle!
The EU user manual says the permissable loads (1.8: 1300kg) are valid for gradients up to 12%, whatever that is in steepness.

2007 OPEL Astra Diesel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-15-2009, 03:41 PM   #18
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkle bik View Post
2866 lbs?
Christ, that's almost the weight of the car.
Yeah, I'd imagine the clutch would be, uh, a little abused with that much weight. The difference between Euro and US tow capacities is profound.

The manual sure is confusing with regard to towing. Would it handle a Sea Doo? Absolutely. But in today's wonderful letigious society, if dealers can find a loophole out of warranty work, they will...

Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:42 PM   #19
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPEL Blitz View Post
But it's such a stylish angle!
The EU user manual says the permissable loads (1.8: 1300kg) are valid for gradients up to 12%, whatever that is in steepness.
For every 100m travelled, there is a 12m vertical increase.
12/100 = 12% (regardless of unit of measure)

12% is pretty steep.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:43 PM   #20
BNM449
BNM449 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

My little 1988 81HP VW Fox Wagon had a welded hitch on it; the older couple I bought it from cheerfully towed around a little motor boat for years with it.

I agree that the tongue weight is important as it adds to "cargo capacity" on the suspension, but this is 1170 lb which far exceeds most of the competition, which are around 650 - 950lb.
I can't imagine a little light "domestic towing" like a sea-doo or home-gardening trailer being a problem, although I really don't like towing anything and would probably never do it.

~N~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BNM449's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BNM449 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BNM449 is offline   Reply With Quote