SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default General Motors May Announce Plans for Saturn on Monday, Retailers on Standby

A new feeditems entry has been added:

General Motors May Announce Plans for Saturn on Monday, Retailers on Standby

Quote:
Dan Gearino from the Columbus Dispatch: Saturn, launched in 1990 to compete with the affordable small cars of Toyota and Honda, soon will be sold or spun off. GM might announce its decision Monday, when it will submit the latest version of its restructuring plan, and probably will disclose plans for Saab and Hummer as well as Saturn.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2009, 07:29 AM   #2
kendals
kendals is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: General Motors May Announce Plans for Saturn on Monday, Retailers on Standby

We just bought our 4th Saturn from the Columbus West location just this weekend (2005 Vue) and have faith the Saturn will make it thru as it is one US brand that can actually compete with the imports. Our 1992 Saturn SW2 finally got replaced after 126,000 miles (to costly of repairs) and my 1995 SL2 with 171,000 miles is still going strong. I plan on getting at least 8-10 years out of our Vue.

Like the sales rep told us..there are currently 12 investors looking at Saturn...how many were looking at Pontiac?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kendals's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kendals reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kendals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:00 AM   #3
CrunkedRL
CrunkedRL is on a distinguished road

Default Re: General Motors May Announce Plans for Saturn on Monday, Retailers on Standby

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendals View Post
We just bought our 4th Saturn from the Columbus West location just this weekend (2005 Vue) and have faith the Saturn will make it thru as it is one US brand that can actually compete with the imports. Our 1992 Saturn SW2 finally got replaced after 126,000 miles (to costly of repairs) and my 1995 SL2 with 171,000 miles is still going strong. I plan on getting at least 8-10 years out of our Vue.

Like the sales rep told us..there are currently 12 investors looking at Saturn...how many were looking at Pontiac?
I can only hope that Magna buys both Saturn and Opel. If that deal goes through we'll still have access to Opel cars in the U.S. and I would surely jump the GM ship to buy one based upon the latest designs. The Penske deal doesn't seem as favorable for the Saturn brand IMO.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CrunkedRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CrunkedRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CrunkedRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:14 AM   #4
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

With all of the talk...just COME OUT AND SAY IT ALREADY!!!

I've grown tired of reading all of these news articles with headlines that read like:

"GM PLANS Sell off of Saturn"

"Saturn SPIN OFF in the works"

"Bidders MIGHT Buy Saturn...details forthcoming"

Seriously folks...not to be mean here; but WAKE UP!

If someone was SERIOUSLY interested in Saturn by now...don't you think we would actually SEE some CONCRETE evidence that something was ACTUALLY going to happen?

Quit beating around the bush and just GET TO THE POINT

Granted, I do want to see Saturn be successful if they are spun off, but I am really getting tired of seeing and reading these articles that lay claim that Saturn is going to be sold, spun off, etc. My honest gut tells me that if this was going to happen, there would be evidence, and a paper trail to back it up already. If anyone DOES buy Saturn and has everything in place by the end of this year, it would be a miracle...

The fact that GM is most likely headed for bankruptcy come monday isn't very reassuring either, but then again, GM got themselves into this mess from poor mismanagement over the years.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
rossao1
Advanced Member
rossao1 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

I've met Tom numerous times. He seems to be a man of his word, and very pleasant to talk with. I am told that he is, and always has been, a very active participant in guiding his business's. He has an in with the big wigs at Gm HQ. This is very good news to hear this from him.

Things are looking up!

A Saturn owner since 10/91.
'92 SC, '91 SL2, 95 SW1, '06 ION3
other car- '02 Expedition 5.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rossao1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rossao1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rossao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:47 PM   #6
trancer78
trancer78 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2002 SC1

These types of things take time. Buying a multi-million dollar company is much different than going to the store and choosing which bag of chips to get. I'm actually pretty impressed at the speed in which they have narrowed down their options from a dozen to only 3 or 4.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trancer78's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trancer78 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trancer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:06 PM   #7
ClapDaddy
Advanced Member
ClapDaddy will become famous soon enough

Happy Re: General Motors May Announce Plans for Saturn on Monday, Retailers on Standby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossao1 View Post
I've met Tom numerous times. He seems to be a man of his word, and very pleasant to talk with. I am told that he is, and always has been, a very active participant in guiding his business's. He has an in with the big wigs at Gm HQ. This is very good news to hear this from him.

Things are looking up!
Rossao,

Thanks for the kind words. I know that Tom appreciates them!

I first met Tom in 1994 when I purchased my first Saturn and worked Closely with him and Larry, when we Started the CarClub in 1996.

He walks the walk and is a hands-on owner.

Seeing the Article in the Columbus, Dispatch moved my personal motivation up a notch or two (if that is possible)

Hopefully we will know something soon and then we can move forward. Waiting is the hardest part, BUT for those who bought Saturns in the early 90's, I am sure YOU know what it is to wait.

Thank You Charlie for the article and a BIG thank you to those here who have purchased the over 700 vehicles from me.

I think that I will get a FREE one once I hit the 1000 mark

If you are in the area stop by and say HI!

Al ClapDaddy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ClapDaddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ClapDaddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ClapDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:59 PM   #8
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
If someone was SERIOUSLY interested in Saturn by now...don't you think we would actually SEE some CONCRETE evidence that something was ACTUALLY going to happen?

Quit beating around the bush and just GET TO THE POINT

Granted, I do want to see Saturn be successful if they are spun off, but I am really getting tired of seeing and reading these articles that lay claim that Saturn is going to be sold, spun off, etc. My honest gut tells me that if this was going to happen, there would be evidence, and a paper trail to back it up already. If anyone DOES buy Saturn and has everything in place by the end of this year, it would be a miracle...
Based on your comments I would guess you have not had many dealings with corporate lawyers and financing entities. By US corporate standards the pace of all that has transpired is incredibly fast. I suspect a lot of that has to do with the intervention and demands of the US government. For what it is worth, the potential Saturn deal that has the interest of so many people here is but a relatively small part of the big picture happening to GM. I believe I saw this week that if GM does file for bankruptcy as is now expected it will be the third largest such action in US history. Under normal circumstances you would have expected all of this to take years to resolve, not just the few months that have been involved to date.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:37 PM   #9
jaman
jaman is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: General Motors May Announce Plans for Saturn on Monday, Retailers on Standby

SATURN LIVES - GO SATURN -

hey GM we wont let you kill our baby !!!!

SPACE )))) )))) ))) THE FINAL FRONTIER ((( (((( (((( TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO SATURN HAS GONE BEFORE ((

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jaman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jaman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:46 PM   #10
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
We just bought our 4th Saturn from the Columbus West location just this weekend (2005 Vue) and have faith the Saturn will make it thru as it is one US brand that can actually compete with the imports.
You mean the former US brand that did compete with imports which will sell imports after it is sold?

Quote:
Pontiac dealerships were wanting to buy the brand shortly after the announcent of discontinuing the brand. Since GM did not give Pontiac the option of being sold off there was not really a chance for anyone to give interest to buy it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:03 PM   #11
BOB'Saturn
BOB'Saturn is on a distinguished road

1991 SL2

I bought my Saturn right after the '92's came out. I bought it because it was DESIGNED and BUILT in the USA and at the time, I believe, it had the highest percentage of American made parts of any car being manufactured (with the possible exception being the Corvette). The poly body appealed to me with all the salt that we use every winter here in the Heartland. My Saturn has served me well even though I could have taken better care of it (check your oil and change your oil). I don't plan on selling my daily driver and if Saturn becomes a rebadged Import I won't buy another one. My hope is that GM will do the honorable thing and let Saturn go to someone that will Love and Nurture Saturn as much as we do and follow Saturn's original path, an affordable, quality, well designed and built AMERICAN car built in the USA. I am looking forward to Homecoming III and driving a NEW SATURN TO IT!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BOB'Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BOB'Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BOB'Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:51 AM   #12
mike08vue
mike08vue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-seriesguy View Post
You mean the former US brand that did compete with imports which will sell imports after it is sold?

Pontiac dealerships were wanting to buy the brand shortly after the announcent of discontinuing the brand. Since GM did not give Pontiac the option of being sold off there was not really a chance for anyone to give interest to buy it.
The only reason Saturn may survive as a brand is because of the nature of its original position in GM. Since it was separate GM owned subsidiary with its own dealer network organization, it actually could be "sold off". Oldsmobile and Pontiac, being just brands within the GM corporate structure, had no such option---they were just dropped.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mike08vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mike08vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mike08vue is offline   Reply With Quote