SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #1
wifeofcore
Administrator
wifeofcore is on a distinguished road

Default Three Finalists Emerge

A new story entry has been added:

Three Finalists Emerge

Quote:
On May 12th SaturnFans.com reported that there were 12 parties interested in purchasing Saturn. Today, Bloomberg News reports that GM has narrowed down the list of Saturn suitors to two, possibly three parties. This new thread of information was gathered from a person who is supposedly close to GM's private discussions. The names of two parties were disclosed by the insider: Penske Automotive Group and Black Oak Partners.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wifeofcore's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wifeofcore reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wifeofcore is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
page2171
page2171 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Three Finalists Emerge

Are we going to get to vote American Idol style?

In all seriousness though, I hope Saturn sticks around. After recent car shopping I have a renewed appreciation for the Saturn buying experience.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to page2171's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help page2171 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
page2171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
habsr1
habsr1 is on a distinguished road

2004 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

There's the key, Saturn buying experience. I too hope they stick around. Having been a faithful customer to my local Saturn dealer for 15 years, it would be difficult to all of sudden have to go somewhere else. I will soon be in the market for a new vehicle and I am seriously thinking of the CRV but if I know my Saturn dealer is sticking around after the impending purchase of Saturn then I may stay with them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to habsr1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help habsr1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
habsr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
unit731
unit731 is on a distinguished road

Here's a concept.

Saturn has some pretty nice retail stores.
All the ones I have been in were pretty good.

Nissan has the Infinity. Toyota has the Lexus. Honda has the Acura.

Mitsubishi, at one point, was contemplating a 'luxury' brand but bailed out because of cost.

More money is made per unit - in the luxury brands.

The Saturn stores may be a way for Mitsubishi to jump right in with a luxury brand. Alas, the Saturn brand may not work for this. Or maybe it will.

Cheap money for Mitsubisi to do this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unit731's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unit731 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unit731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:51 AM   #5
Warren
Warren is on a distinguished road

I was at a Saturn retailer this morning and was informed that Saturn has been sold. No mention of to whom or under what conditions. Understand announcement is to be made on June 1. I guess we shall have to wait and see. It seems many Saturn dealers, along with Pontiac dealerships have already started shutting their doors, at least in our area.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Warren's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Warren reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:44 AM   #6
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enough

> announcement is to be made on June 1.
Wow/yikes. Is this 'closure , phaseI' , or anothe rumor ??

-Thanks , Warren!

-I think the disposition will unfold gradually , as the economy lifts off and new products line up, and sell, or sit in lots.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:08 AM   #7
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

They need to move quickly because everyday more Saturn dealers are closing.

They need to just shut Saturn down if they even contemplate giving it to Mitsubishi.

Mitsubishi is on it's death bed in the US already. Rumors were that they were leaving the US in a couple years even before the recession.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
MoseyRL
MoseyRL is on a distinguished road

I work at a Saturn store in NC and at my dealership today, we are having meetings with make that 4, other Saturn Stores. All the bigwigs are here so something big is definatley going on.

Last edited by MoseyRL; 05-22-2009 at 12:51 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MoseyRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MoseyRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MoseyRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:49 PM   #9
unit731

Saturn Mitsubishi
That's it!

"The next time you waltz into your local Saturn dealership, it may no longer be associated with General Motors. Instead, you could be looking at an all-new Saturn Lancer Evolution X. That’s because Mitsubishi may soon be supplying cars to Saturn dealers.

As you may already know, Mitsubishi isn’t doing all that well in this market either. Sales are down significantly this year, so they’re looking for ways to increase the number of cars that are rolling off the lot. As such, it seems that the Japanese automaker is “in talks” with potential Saturn buyers.

Under the proposed agreement, Saturn dealerships may start carrying Mitsubishi cars, but they’ll be badged as Saturns. I find it unlikely that we’ll find a Saturn-branded Evolution or Eclipse, but cars like the Galant and Endeavor are probably fair game.

Saturn vehicles will continue to be produced by General Motors until the end of the year, but the company’s future beyond that is not quite so clear. Of the potential Saturn buyers, “one of two or three… has been in talks with Mitsubishi.” This relationship could help to boost North American production for the three-pronged carmaker, even if the Mitsus get rebranded."

SATURN/MITSUBISHI

A marriage made in Heaven !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help unit731 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-22-2009, 06:15 PM   #10
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Gee, I'm so excited.

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:29 PM   #11
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

So what ever happened to the group out of Ohio that was planning on building cars here in America? Yeah exciting imported chinese or japanese Saturns

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:22 PM   #12
Sival
Sival will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan

I could live with either Mitsubishi or Nissan-Renault. I'd prefer the latter, but the earlier's good still. Fortunately there's not much rumor about vehicles from India or China, which is comforting. I'd prefer to see Saturn disappear then start peddling cars from the "developping world".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sival's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sival reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:47 PM   #13
AEIoUy
AEIoUy is on a distinguished road

Count me out if Saturn will be selling rehashed Mitsubishi. The sales experience is just icing on the cake but the car is the cake itself. Without a good cake, the icing doesn't mean anything.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AEIoUy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AEIoUy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AEIoUy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 04:17 AM   #14
Shadow_tek001
Advanced Member
Shadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of light

Oh god no, not Mitsubishi - Dont get me wrong, there cars are just fine, but that company will likely drive saturn further into the ground. They can't even keep there own company going.

If that happens, i'll look elswhere.

Edward.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Shadow_tek001's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Shadow_tek001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Shadow_tek001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:25 AM   #15
L55
L55 is on a distinguished road

Roger Penske has created more wealth for himself than all of us combined ... and it hasn't been from being stupid. If he is indeed the next owner of Saturn you can bet that it will be with a winning formula...so everybody relax.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L55's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L55 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
L55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:00 AM   #16
eelfliw
eelfliw is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XE
2002 SL

I've absolutely no interest in Mitsu or Renault/Nissan. These aren't domestic companies and I'm not buying foreign Saturns.

That leaves Penske & Magna. The question is, does Penske have the manufacturing facilities to manufacture cars? I know Magna does.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eelfliw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eelfliw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eelfliw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:34 AM   #17
ski2moro
ski2moro is on a distinguished road

Default Sales manager said it's Penske

My other half was in the Saturn dealership this morning for an oil change. The Sales Manager said that Saturn has been sold to Penske, but it has not been officially announced. Renault and Nissan were mentioned as partners.

disclaimer:
1. we are looking for a new car at this time to join the Vue in the garage
2. anything a sales manager says is probably influenced by #1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ski2moro's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ski2moro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ski2moro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:58 AM   #18
unit731

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelfliw View Post
I've absolutely no interest in Mitsu or Renault/Nissan. These aren't domestic companies and I'm not buying foreign Saturns.

That leaves Penske & Magna. The question is, does Penske have the manufacturing facilities to manufacture cars? I know Magna does.
I owned a Mitsubishi (Plymouth Colt) and it was one of the most reliable cars I have owned. And one of the most comfortable. And it was the lowest price sedan model.

Mitsubishi has under untilized manufacturing plants. Hey, why not?

Spring Hill is not coming back. Plastic panels are gone. Time to move on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-23-2009, 12:02 PM   #19
rollsroyce250
rollsroyce250 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Sales manager said it's Penske

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski2moro View Post
Renault and Nissan were mentioned as partners.
Should that be Renault and Nissan or Renault or Nissan as partners?

Renault? Yawn.
Nissan? Can already buy those everywhere.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rollsroyce250's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rollsroyce250 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rollsroyce250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #20
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
They need to move quickly because everyday more Saturn dealers are closing.

They need to just shut Saturn down if they even contemplate giving it to Mitsubishi.

Mitsubishi is on it's death bed in the US already. Rumors were that they were leaving the US in a couple years even before the recession.
Mitsubishi works better than anything else. They have decent cars and some are built in the US. They need a stronger dealership network, especially ones that aren't stuck with Chrysler or GM dealers.
I'd gladly buy (if I could afford it) an Outlander sold by my Saturn dealer.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote