SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
RedLineWant2be
RedLineWant2be is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan
Default How do you change rear springs/struts?

I got an 03 ion sedan putting new springs and struts on it but I have never changed the springs and all on a suspension setup like this. so how do you remove the rear springs and struts? please post here if you know or if you have a link to instructions. thank you!

tinted windows
Injen C.A.I
Car DVD system
Fe5 suspension
eibach lowering springs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedLineWant2be's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedLineWant2be reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedLineWant2be is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: How do you change rear springs/struts?

To start with the ION does not have struts in the rear, it has shocks and coil springs. Drop the shocks at the bottom end remove the cable on each side and pull the axle down and the srings drop out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
RedLineWant2be
RedLineWant2be is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Ok, I really didn't look to see if it had struts i just glanced at springs and was like wow. ok so i drop the shock as unbolt it at the bottom? then pull axle down and the spring pops out? then i just put it all back together the same way right? also what about spring compressor?

tinted windows
Injen C.A.I
Car DVD system
Fe5 suspension
eibach lowering springs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedLineWant2be's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedLineWant2be reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedLineWant2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

spring compressor: Not needed in the rear, you do need one for the front struts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
phillthy
phillthy is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

here's how to remove back end from my 03 service manual, i imagine you have to remove the whole thing when you replace the shock and spring

http://mahlyssa.com/ion/rear%20axl%20%20page%201of4.jpg

http://mahlyssa.com/ion/rear%20axl%20%20page%202of4.jpg

http://mahlyssa.com/ion/rear%20axl%20%20page%203of4.jpg

http://mahlyssa.com/ion/rear%20axl%20%20page%204of4.jpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phillthy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phillthy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phillthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
SaturnSdn
Master Member

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillthy View Post
I'm sure you have a wonderfull "IMAGINATION" but it's not correct if your saying the entire rear torsion (twist) beam axle assembly needs to be removed. I posted how the springs come out and thats not from my "IMAGINATION".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-20-2009, 07:25 PM   #7
phillthy

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

its been proven that i have an imagination twice today!

anyway i myself just wasn't sure what you meant by "remove the cable". I already had the pics scan (i've gotta replace the bushings back there), so i figured i'd post them here because he hadn't looked all that hard. I find it nice to see a picture of how the whole thing works before going at it. I also mis read and though he was gonna change the shocks too, my mistake. later

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help phillthy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-20-2009, 07:36 PM   #8
SaturnSdn
Master Member

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

LOL your imagination is running away with you......Cables, I should have gone into that deaper. If the ION has ABS brakes it will have a cable attached to the axle and to the ABS unit at the wheel. It's best to disconnect it so no stress is put on it while pulling the the axle down to drop the springs.

Unplug the connector from the ABS
Unclip the wires from the axle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-20-2009, 08:10 PM   #9
phillthy

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

thats cool, my ion doesn't have abs so i guess that didn't and honestly probably never have crossed my mind. later

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
bigmoe99
bigmoe99 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe
1994 SL1
Wrench Re: How do you change rear springs/struts?

I hope I am not to late to save you some headaches, in regards to changing the front struts.

The job although straightforward is full of potential pitfalls and I think I had the luck to hit everyone of them.

If everything goes as planned and you have no items siezed into place, then you are looking at approximately 1-2 hours per side. If you come accross corrosion causing parts to be seized, then prepare for the job from hell. I truly wish I had taken it to a mechanic shop, not that I can't do it, as I did but they have all the proper lifts and equipment to deal with these headache makers..

also, when changing out the struts, I highly reccomend you buy the quick change struts (come preassembled), then you do not have deal with the springs compressors and all the headaches that come with this.

When putting all the new parts in I anti seized the s#$% (rhimes with it) out of them so whoever has to do this job again doesnot have to deal with the same headaches as I did.

Well thats about it, the rear shocks were nice and easy to change and I see no need to change the springs unless totally worn out but thats my opinion.

Cheers,

Bigmoe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigmoe99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigmoe99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigmoe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #11
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

You're 3 years too late, and are taking about the wrong end of the car. This thread is about the rear suspension.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #12
MeanGreen
MeanGreen is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
You're 3 years too late, and are taking about the wrong end of the car. This thread is about the rear suspension.
Guessing he just wanted to up his reply count, completely irrelevant to the thread is true

2004 ION 2 Sedan
-Autozone short ram
-FE5 Suspension with Pedder springs
-4300k Hi-lo HID
-OPTX green underglow
-35% tint all around
-Kicker Audio all around

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MeanGreen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MeanGreen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MeanGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
dave380
dave380 is on a distinguished road

I'd like to replace my rear coil springs as well, and this is the only thread I've found about it. I don't understand the step where you lower the rear axle to remove the spring. I thought you would support the car by putting the rear axle on jackstands. So how do you pull the axle down?

Let me know where I'm wrong in my logic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dave380's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dave380 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dave380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #14
MeanGreen

2004 ION-2 Sedan

No, rear end has to be loose so the suspension is at complete slack. The car needs to be up on jackstands or on a lift that doesn't use the wheels to hold up the car. Once the suspension is at complete slack you can unbolt the top bolt of the shocks, thereby fully loosening the rear end. The springs can simply be pulled out, replace the bump stops into the new springs, reinstall the new shocks, and bolt it all back together, it's a very simple process compared to the front end.

Hope it all goes well!

2004 ION 2 Sedan
-Autozone short ram
-4300k Hi-lo HID
-OPTX green underglow
-35% tint all around
-Kicker Audio all around

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MeanGreen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-05-2014, 10:41 PM   #15
svedaius
svedaius is on a distinguished road

Let me start with: I do not have a whole lot of experience with auto repair. Just put that out there. I have been learning one job at a time as I go. Mostly when I am stuck between a rock and a hard place and need to do it myself to save some money.

This is the only thread I found about rear coil springs in an Ion. I must be below the level of most, because I need a little further guidance. I have replaced the struts and shocks on my 06 Ion in the past couple of months. I did not replace the rear coil springs.

I am working on replacing those rear coil springs now, as I discovered one is broken down at the very bottom. I get the vehicle up on jack stands, remove the wheels, put a hydraulic jack under each end of the axle, and remove the lower bolt for the shock. There is a bracket with a brake line where a braided cable line connects with the metal brake lines at a nut, and there is not enough slack to lower the axle without really straining that braided line. Strain aside, I am not sure I could fully drop the axle with it connected. If I have to disconnect that line, does that basically add bleeding the brakes to the coil spring job as well?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to svedaius's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help svedaius reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
svedaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:58 AM   #16
MeanGreen

2004 ION-2 Sedan

picture? Because it either sounds like your e-brake cable or the abs cable, and that should be able to be undone to ease the slack

2004 ION 2 Sedan
-Autozone short ram
-4300k Hi-lo HID
-OPTX green underglow
-35% tint all around
-Kicker Audio all around

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-06-2014, 06:37 PM   #17
svedaius
svedaius is on a distinguished road

I took another look at it, and my phone takes terrible pictures. There is a cable coming in toward the bottom of the drum, which I think must be the ABS, has definite electrical type connectors. The problem cable runs down to the arm of the axle as a stretch of braided cable, then goes through a bracket connected to the arm of the axle and there is a nut, then it becomes one of those thin metal brake lines and connects into the upper back of the rear drum. I could not just drop the axle down to the ground on either side after disconnecting the shock because there was not much slack in that braided cable, and I did not want to pop it off.

So, I just ended up borrowing a set of those external spring compressors from the auto parts store. Not a ton of space to work around and it took quite a while, but managed to get them off and new ones back on. Thanks for the reply!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to svedaius's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help svedaius reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
svedaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:48 PM   #18
kevin.st56
kevin.st56 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

-Jack up the rear end of the car (highly recommend having jack stands).
-take both wheels off.
-unbolt the shocks (i started with the bottom bolt, rear axle will drop when both sides are undone).
-Push down on the rear axle, and springs should just fall out.

Once the springs are out, id recommend replacing the spring boots bec they might be dry rotted and worn out, and possible break when removing them off the old springs. Installation in reverse order.

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp *aint nothing quite like it*
There's something about these low budget, no resell value cars that we love so much.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevin.st56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevin.st56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevin.st56 is offline   Reply With Quote