SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2009, 02:33 AM   #1
AtlanticBeach
AtlanticBeach is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
Thumbs Up Replace DRL bulbs with maybe blue bulbs. What you think?

I think it would be cool looking to install 2 colored bulbs only on my daytime running lights. What do you think about that?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AtlanticBeach's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AtlanticBeach reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AtlanticBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2009, 02:37 AM   #2
tehSaturn
tehSaturn will become famous soon enough

2001 SW2
Default Re: Replace DRL bulbs with maybe blue bulbs. What you think?

I've seen blue/white twin colored 9005s. They look like cr@p. It'll look like a freakin' rainbow, and the second dusk comes and you don't turn your actual headlights on, people will be pissed because the skittles/rainbow-brite mobile just blinded them.

As for entirely blue bulbs? Blue will just filter the yellow and make it whiter, but it will throw shorter...not like it matters horribly in DRL lights, especially in SoCal since we never use our highs....

Save your money and get some HIDs. You can get some from like $70 from www.70dollarhids.com if you want some cheap HIDs.

2001 SW2: 60k Miles @ 8/11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tehSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tehSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tehSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Your vehicle is not street legal without working high beams, using DOT-approved bulbs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
Saturndude82
Saturndude82 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

You havent done the drl "trick" yet to disable the drls? Just get a set of all 4 blue bulbs off of ebay for like $12 with shipping, I just bought a set like 4 months ago and they work great! Little brighter and nice look but why would you want to run the drl. About being legal, nobody freakin cares! Just dont be an idiot and run your high beams when the fuzz are comming your direction..At least in so-cal they dont care, iv been running dark tint on my windows and blue bulps in all my vehicles and never had any issues with the fuzz.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturndude82's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturndude82 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturndude82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

I thought it was illegal (at least in the state of KY) to have any blue or red light showing to the front?

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:13 PM   #6
Saturndude82

2002 SL1

Here, I even went through the trouble to find the guy I bought from on ebay.

His seller name is hrslnet and here is a direct link for all four bulps

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Xenon...lenotsupported

or item number 300309148733
ships from so-cal very fast! Again, for being cheap chinese bulbs like 99% of the bulbs out their, these at least are built to last and with stand color fading and vibrations. No issues at all for me yet, and dont forsee and in the near future. Just keep your stock bulbs just incase, took about 10 mins to change out all four on my 02 sl1.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturndude82 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2009, 02:02 PM   #7
myolbug
Advanced Member
myolbug will become famous soon enough

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturndude82 View Post
Here, I even went through the trouble to find the guy I bought from on ebay.

His seller name is hrslnet and here is a direct link for all four bulps

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Xenon...lenotsupported

or item number 300309148733
ships from so-cal very fast! Again, for being cheap chinese bulbs like 99% of the bulbs out their, these at least are built to last and with stand color fading and vibrations. No issues at all for me yet, and dont forsee and in the near future. Just keep your stock bulbs just incase, took about 10 mins to change out all four on my 02 sl1.
Have you noticed a difference? Also, do these have a lot of glare in comparison to stock bulbs?

If it is OK to disarm law abiding citizens to reduce crime, then it stands to reason to disarm the military to prevent war!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to myolbug's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help myolbug reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
myolbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:26 PM   #8
Saturndude82

2002 SL1

Yes I did notice a difference! I can honestly say the lights are brighter than the stock ones, with a very light tint of blue, when sitting in the car looking out at night. When you stand outside the car looking at the lights the blue is much more visable. I had no glare what so ever, from what I understand, the glare issue only occurs in pre 2000 s-series that have medium to bad yellowing of the lenses as Saturn used a differnt type of plastic for the headlights. The 2000-02 headlight lenes are very clear, look like glass almost if kept clean. I am sure there are tons of guys on here that know how to take the yellow off the pre 2000 lenses. I heard just use a good wax and high speed buffer but dont quote me on that

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2009, 03:54 PM   #9
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

they sell those sylvania cool blue bulbs which are legal, but they won't be as bright as regular clear bulbs...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:21 PM   #10
Saturndude82

2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsctwo View Post
they sell those sylvania cool blue bulbs which are legal, but they won't be as bright as regular clear bulbs...
I looked at those too, the syvanias, but I didnt want to pay $50 for the set of four. I am telling you the cheap ebay bulbs I posted above are worth a shot! So far no issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2009, 11:47 PM   #11
tehSaturn
tehSaturn will become famous soon enough

2001 SW2

^ I've tried those ebay ones before, they're so-so. I have some PIAAs that will go in my car sometime after my RZOs burn out. I have some no-name 9005s that are like the ebay ones for my DRLs/Hi-Beam. Work good...though I never use my high beams. They look cool during the day, which is all I have to worry about in SoCal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Your vehicle is not street legal without working high beams, using DOT-approved bulbs.
Oh well. My car isn't street legal. But then again, I'm sure my SRI, Cam Cover Breather, and RZO 9006s aren't street legal either. Or my missing spare and jack that I chucked from my wagon.

2001 SW2: 60k Miles @ 8/11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tehSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tehSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tehSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:36 AM   #12
fahrnord
fahrnord is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Any light that shows blue, front or rear is illegal in Michigan unless your a Police car! Also red is illegal in the front unless your an emergancy vehicle. The replacement blue halogen headlights don't look blue when they are on so they are legal. This may be the same in many states so I suggest you check with your local law enforcement to be sure.
Mechanic Dutch

"A squeeling tyre is a happy tyre"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fahrnord's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fahrnord reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fahrnord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:11 PM   #13
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehSaturn View Post
Oh well. My car isn't street legal. But then again, I'm sure my SRI, Cam Cover Breather, and RZO 9006s aren't street legal either. Or my missing spare and jack that I chucked from my wagon.
His point was that the S-Series "DRL" lights are NOT a separate bulb. They are the high beam's run at roughly 1/2 power.

It's very very odd going down the highway at night to see the blue tinted lights on a 18wheeler. I've gotten used to it now but good grief... their lights are annoying enough as it is.... lol

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote