SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2009, 02:01 AM   #1
Triggamane
Triggamane is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1
Dizzy Vehicle Speed sensor replaced and still throwing code.

My speedo does not work and the car doesnt shift right it shifts hard and the service engine light is on because it has no output from the VSS. I replaced the VSS and reset the computer by disconecting battery for at least a half hour. Still no speedo and after 3 mins of driving Service engine ligth comes back on. Where do i start? I already looked at the wires an they look to be in good shape th eplug and everthing are clean. There is also only 1 wire coming out of the plug for the vss. Any help please i need my car to pass inspection.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Triggamane's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Triggamane reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Triggamane is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2009, 07:05 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Vehicle Speed sensor replaced and still throwing code.

What year and model car will help a bit There are 2 speed sensors, which one did you replace? There is one by the oil filter on the transmission and one on top of the differential area above the axles. What code number are you getting?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:02 AM   #3
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

The VSS has two wires. Either you're looking at the backup light switch or a wire got pulled out.

Also look at the wire color (x with x stripe) and post that here... IIRC there's another wire that has the same connector that can get screwed up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Reverse light switch functionality is part of the selector switch, which has a bunch of wires coming out of it. (Reverse light circuit has two wires anyway.) There's only one VSS, located on the top of the tranny. The sensors on the front of the tranny are the TSS (turbine speed sensor) and TTS (tranny temp sensor). AFAIK, they all have two wires. If you have a sensor connector on the tranny with only one wire, I'd say that's your problem; a wire has pulled out of the connector. That was probably the problem in the first place, and, pardon me for saying this, an example of how testing and referring to documentation are cheaper than throwing parts at it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:48 AM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

The VSS and the TSS are the same type of component. Hence the question, which one was changed? And did it have 2 wires in the connector?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
Triggamane

1999 SL1
Attention Re: Vehicle Speed sensor replaced and still throwing code.

Ok well it is a 1999 sl1. The sensor in the front of the tranny under the tranny filter has two wires a red with black stripe and a blue with white stripe. The two sensors on the front and back appear to be identical so i replaced both of them. That could be a problem from what im hearing. The sensor in the back of the tranny above the axle has only one tan colored wired. The plug that plugs into it is capable of holding two wires but where the other wire would be at in the plug is a rubber plug that looks like it belongs there. Like if it had another wire and it pulled out it would be just an empty hole instead of having a rubber plug in there. I do not know the code number but when i have them plug it in it says no output signal from the vehicle speed sensor. Thanks I kno you guys will help me figure this out. I also know that this trannsmission is the one that came with the car and the motor is out of an sl1 but it had been replaced before I ever got the car so who knows if that is related.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Triggamane reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Brain farting at the moment. Can't remember for sure. Check the connector that goes to the oil pressure switch, at the oil filter area. See if it looks like the connector to the VSS and see if it has two wires. If it does swap them.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #8
Triggamane

1999 SL1

It has two wires on it but it is not the same type of plug

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-17-2009, 02:08 PM   #9
Triggamane

1999 SL1

The speed sensor on the front of the tranny that is under the transmission filter has the same type plug and two wires on it tho.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-17-2009, 02:31 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The VSS back by the axle has 2 wires a yellow and a purple. You are looking for a plug with those color wires.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-17-2009, 02:31 PM   #11
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Oil pressure switch on your 99 should only have one wire. Lacking pictures are you able to plugswitch the connector on the oil switch into the VSS? If not then check the back of the engine area for plugs that can swap.

Any engine work done that would have needed things unplugged in recent memory?

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:06 PM   #12
Triggamane

1999 SL1
Thumbs Up Re: Vehicle Speed sensor replaced and still throwing code.

ssi car man you solved my problem thank you so much you saved me. what had happened was somebody before me just swapped th emotor so when they were plugging back in the harness they mixed up the plugs apparently. thank you so much very much appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!