SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 05-13-2009, 07:23 AM   #1
Roushy
Roushy is on a distinguished road

Default Check Engine Reset!!!!

I noticed my gas cap has been recently becoming more and more loose after each fill. Basically after 4 years the plastic on the cap is wearing down. On Sunday after my fill-up my Vue threw a CE Light. I figured it was the cap because it didn't even tighten.... just spun. I went to NAPA and picked up a replacement cap. They had a direct replacement and not a "Univseral" replacement cap.

Check engine light is still on. I ran an ODBII scan and found nothing. I disconnected the negative on the battery and its still there. I read on some websites there is a method of resetting through the fuse box but I can't find anything that says "Reset" on it.

I have a 2004 Saturn Vue (4 cyl).

Any help???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Roushy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Roushy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Roushy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2009, 07:34 AM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Check Engine Reset!!!!

If it was indeed the cap, the light will go out on its own within a few days or so (depending on your driving habits) when the PCM see's the condition is absent through enough ignition cycles.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:38 AM   #3
Roushy

Yeah this has actually happened before. Ran the CE Light for a few days and it went away. I just didn't know if there was a way to reset the light rather than wait 4 days. I see the CE Light and I think "BOOM" instead of just the gas cap

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Roushy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-14-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
Roushy

Default Update:

UPDATE: I checked the codes at 2 different places and both said there are 0 errors in the car. Neither of them could clear the warning light because there was nothing to clear. They suggested going to the dealer but I know Saturn would probably hose me.

My gas cap was loose when the light went on and I replaced the gas cap with a NAPA Auto Saturn Replacement Cap. Drove about 40 miles since the light has come on, about 30 since it was replaced.

Thoughts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2009, 11:45 AM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Update:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roushy View Post
UPDATE: I checked the codes at 2 different places and both said there are 0 errors in the car. Neither of them could clear the warning light because there was nothing to clear. They suggested going to the dealer but I know Saturn would probably hose me.

My gas cap was loose when the light went on and I replaced the gas cap with a NAPA Auto Saturn Replacement Cap. Drove about 40 miles since the light has come on, about 30 since it was replaced.

Thoughts?
It's probably a GM - Saturn specific code not readable by standard OBDII devices ... use this link for more information on similar problem:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ight=CEL+CODES

BTW, I've read somewhere - some vehicle - CEL's caused by loose/defective gas cap may clear after 40 to 50 ignition cycles.

I did a quick check of Saturn documentation and have not found - yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:03 PM   #6
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

When you disconnected your battery, how long did you leave it disconnected for? Did you do anything while the battery was disconnected?

On other vehicles, sometimes you have to wait 15 minutes after you've disconnected the battery for the ECU to lose all remaining power and reset itself. Or applying the brakes a bunch of times that will speed up that process. I've also heard that if you touch the negative battery cable to the positive cable, that will also work.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #7
Roushy

I read that if the gas cap was loose or defective that a new cap wouldn't simply remove the error. The drive cycle is a high speeds for a few minutes with accel and decel. I don't even get above 45 on my way in to work and back so I am going to take a highway route home and see what happens.

The other thread was informative but didn't really give me an answer.

Thanks for the help though!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
Roushy

I waited about 3-5 minutes once the negative was disconnected. Should I wait longer?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #9
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Try it again waiting 15 minutes while you pump the brake pedal a few times.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:38 PM   #10
Roushy

I will try that and let you know!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-15-2009, 06:52 AM   #11
Roushy

Solution: I did remove the negative and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Before I reconnected I noticed the clock was still on so I hit the breaks a few times and the clock when out. Reconnected and everything is fine.

Thanks everyone!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-16-2009, 03:17 PM   #12
Nelsonspride
Nelsonspride is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm View Post
When you disconnected your battery, how long did you leave it disconnected for? Did you do anything while the battery was disconnected?

On other vehicles, sometimes you have to wait 15 minutes after you've disconnected the battery for the ECU to lose all remaining power and reset itself. Or applying the brakes a bunch of times that will speed up that process. I've also heard that if you touch the negative battery cable to the positive cable, that will also work.
yeah u get like a metal piece of wire or etc disconnect both wires from battery and touch them together for like 15-30 seconds it can reset pcm or if they are able to touch together without a piece of wire be my guess

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nelsonspride's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nelsonspride reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nelsonspride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:57 PM   #13
guitarrick
guitarrick is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roushy View Post
Solution: I did remove the negative and let it sit for about 30 minutes. Before I reconnected I noticed the clock was still on so I hit the breaks a few times and the clock when out. Reconnected and everything is fine.

Thanks everyone!
I had your answer but someone beat me to it! Happened to me in my Dakota that was stolen (replaced with a Vue ), only I left the gas cap on top of my toolbox and drove away. That light came on and drove me nuts! I just replaced the cap and reset the computer by killing the power for 20 minutes or so... You want to do a reset like that after doing anything to the motor, even after changing your air filter, spark plugs etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to guitarrick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help guitarrick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
guitarrick is offline   Reply With Quote