SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
L200Pilot
L200Pilot is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Saturn dealers not included in today's cuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Times
Today's cuts do not include dealers of Saturn, Saab and Hummer brands, all of which are up for sale. LaNeve said that that group includes about 500 dealers, who may not be forced to close if the brands are sold.
Some kinda-sorta good news for the short term, I guess.

Article

The family:
1993 SL2: 051,000 mi (!)
1996 SL2: 260,000 mi (sold)
2001 SL2: 98,000 mi
2002 L200: 215,000 mi
2006 VUE: 50,000 mi (sold)
2007 Ranger: 40,000 mi
2008 Astra: 161,000 mi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L200Pilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L200Pilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
L200Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2009, 07:55 AM   #2
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Saturn dealers not included in today's cuts

I was also impressed with the moderate action. The (ex)Chrysler dealers are stuck with their vehicular and parts inventory and only weeks to move. GM , not yet bankrupt , gave the axed dealers over a year to plan and act.

>As a result, GM plans to shed 42% of its distribution network by the end of 2010, leaving it with 3,600 dealers. Chrysler's cuts give it about 2,400.

{There is much more bloodletting looming ....}

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:00 PM   #3
saturnplace
saturnplace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM96 View Post
I was also impressed with the moderate action. The (ex)Chrysler dealers are stuck with their vehicular and parts inventory and only weeks to move. GM , not yet bankrupt , gave the axed dealers over a year to plan and act.

>As a result, GM plans to shed 42% of its distribution network by the end of 2010, leaving it with 3,600 dealers. Chrysler's cuts give it about 2,400.

{There is much more bloodletting looming ....}
GM's actions may be moderate for the time being, but I wouldn't put anything past them. All bets are off when they file for bankruptcy in a couple of weeks.

Bloomberg is already reporting that GM may speed up dealerships closings.

GM in Bankruptcy May Speed Dealer Cuts to Match Chryslerís Pace
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...21E&refer=home

We will see GM's true colors in bankruptcy. We will also finally know of Saturn's fate during bankruptcy. All I have to say is hold on.

Rethink your Saturn. Accessorize.
http://www.saturnaccessories.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnplace's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnplace reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:14 PM   #4
Emanuel
Emanuel is on a distinguished road

Why do GM and Chrysler want to close dealers?

While I can understand that the surviving dealers will have higher sales and be better off, what is the advantage to the manufacturer?

I thought dealers were independent businesses. How does the manufacturer save money with fewer dealers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Emanuel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Emanuel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:17 PM   #5
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

From the Bloomberg article:

Quote:
The shutdowns are GMís first step to pare domestic dealers to a range of 3,600 to 4,000 from 5,969 by the end of 2010. Having fewer retailers may allow the survivors to sell more cars at higher prices, boosting profit.
That is a real business model, sell the same old cars for more money. I'll bet the folks at Honda, Toyota, Hyundai and Nissan are going to see the benefit from this approach.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

I would expect Saturn dealers not to be included in Friday's list of 1100 since GM has declined to comment on the status of whether the brand will be sold or killed off. That might change after the June 1 deadline to submit a viable business plan or file for bankruptcy nears.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:16 AM   #7
dulino
Advanced Member
dulino is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel View Post

While I can understand that the surviving dealers will have higher sales and be better off, what is the advantage to the manufacturer?

I thought dealers were independent businesses. How does the manufacturer save money with fewer dealers.
I think they have various contractual obligations with dealerships that show up as liabilities on their balance sheets. They may also be closing off the dealerships that have disproportionately low sales. If I understand it correctly, if the sales are low than the manufacturer always had to do something to move the inventory -- and some dealers may require more cash incentives and inventory buybacks than others.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dulino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dulino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dulino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:32 AM   #8
unit731
unit731 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel View Post

I always had the same opinion. More dealers is better. It was in the old days. Every city/town/hamlet had a Ford or Chevrolet dealer downtown.

I think everyone is looking at the Toyota model of business now. One (two) brand covers all cars and trucks.

Having all these smaller dealers costs money. They have to be serviced by regional sales and service managers.

But someone else can chime in as to why more dealers is not good and less dealers is better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unit731's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unit731 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unit731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:51 AM   #9
L55
L55 is on a distinguished road

#1...Less dealers = higher sales/service volume per dealer= $$$

#2...Less dealers = less competition per sq. mile = higher unit price = $$$

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L55's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L55 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
L55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:52 PM   #10
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by L55 View Post
#1...Less dealers = higher sales/service volume per dealer= $$$

#2...Less dealers = less competition per sq. mile = higher unit price = $$$
Both are hinged to the presumption that people will want the product. If sales continue to tank due to unreasonably high prices relative to the competition, poor resale due to dumping in fleets, and cheap interiors on some models, then both are assumptions built on faulty projections. Demand is not inelastic and GM should know that by now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote