SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
PSDFan
PSDFan is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
1994 SL2
Thumbs Up My HCE is home.

I left KC Friday morning, picked up a U-Haul tow dolly in south Dallas that evening and got my HCE about 8 P.M.! Overall about 98% of it's there!
The passenger side rear backrest is missing, the factory wind deflector is there but broken as the crackers kids climbed all over it and stomped on it. Luckily the sunroof is intact. The drivers doorskin and front fender are production white and not the Pearl but that's not a problem and, interestingly, the driver door pull handle is Pearl. He must have replaced the door skin at some point. All the black badges are missing. Things like the radio knobs are also missing but the original owners manual with purchaser info and the embroidered "Saturn" floor mats are still there! The Texas sun has been very hard on the leather interior. The top of the rear backrest and the head restraints are very dried and cracked, hopefully I can find someone in the area that can restore/repair/replace.
The PCM is connected but lying on the floor and the dash top is there but loose. I've got to gut the interior and check all the wiring after I pull the engine for rebuild.

I've posted several pics, Sorry guys, couldn't stop at the state lines, State Troopers frown on pulling onto the shoulder of the interstate to take pictures. You gotta check out the pic of the custom headliner this little skater-crackhead-cracker had made!

I'm hoping to do a factory restoration and have seen a post about assistance from Saturn Archives. I'll also be looking for vendors for OEM parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3562.jpg (111.0 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3563.jpg (140.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3571.jpg (87.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3576.jpg (130.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3580.jpg (90.0 KB, 59 views)

1963 Corvair Monza Spyder Convertible
'94 SL2 H.C.E. (finally)
'01 Ford F350 7.3 Turbo Diesel Crewcab 4X4
St. Joseph,Mo.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PSDFan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PSDFan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PSDFan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2009, 12:01 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: My HCE is home.

Well, it looks like there is enough there to work with. Must have been a fun trip.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #3
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Thumbs Up Re: My HCE is home.

You can really see the difference in the production white compared to the Pearl White.

I would be interested in seeing what kind of info you have posted in the owner's manual (if there is anything at all in regards to Homcoming Edition info)...

my HCE didn't have an owner's manual at all.

I'd be interested in seeing some interior photos too...The good thing is that aside from the leather/cloth interior; if you have any bad interior panels, any 94 SL2 or similar with Grey color will do to fix.

At least you have good panels that are already painted white. My panels are gouged and still trying to locate some that not gouged so bad....

Awesome find! My question is this though...why does it seem that the majority of the 1994 Homecoming Editions have been abused beyond hell?

I mean I know I may be making small potatoes, but there were only 3500 of them made...

Anyone who is a Saturn purist/true enthusiast knows that aside from the BumbleBee Edition, the Red Hot/White Hot Editions, the 99 HCE, and the 10th Anniversary Silver Edition....while they may "Just be a Saturn"...they are highly sought after. To anyone else, they may "Just be a car", but this applies to any car enthusiast...if you are an owner of any type of a car; the limited production models are the ones to "hunt" for...regardless if it is a Saturn, or if it is a Chevrolet, etc. I think you get what I am talking about.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
PSDFan

1998 SL2
1994 SL2

I would be interested in seeing what kind of info you have posted in the owner's manual (if there is anything at all in regards to Homcoming Edition info)...

my HCE didn't have an owner's manual at all.

I'd be interested in seeing some interior photos too...The good thing is that aside from the leather/cloth interior; if you have any bad interior panels, any 94 SL2 or similar with Grey color will do to fix.

The original owners manual (in surprisingly good shape) was on the floor and there is no mention of the Home Coming Edition. I anticipated the owners manual either not being there or in very bad shape so I ordered one (along with a Saturn leather zippered case) from EBay. I noticed that there were differences between the manual that came with the HCE and the '94 manual that I ordered. The original is 1st edition while the EBay manual is 2nd edition. If you would like the manual PM me with your address and I'll send it to you.

I'll post some interior pics. The cracker had custom flame padded inserts made for the door panels!!!!

'94 SL2 H.C.E. (finally)
St. Joseph,Mo.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help PSDFan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-10-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
PSDFan

1998 SL2
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Well, it looks like there is enough there to work with. Must have been a fun trip.
Yea, I'm real happy with the car, especially for $300 and 15 years old. The trip went fairly well but my Brother was a bit nervous 'cause we had to wait for over an hour in the barrio for the cracker to come home. Spent the night in McKinney, Tx and ran into some pretty intense weather headed back to KC. This time of year is not the time to be in Texas or Oklahoma. EVERYTHING is a tornado magnet!

'94 SL2 H.C.E. (finally)
St. Joseph,Mo.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-10-2009, 01:22 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I was born and raised in south eastern Kansas. Tornados are not a big problem as they only cut about a mile wide swath of total destruction, you can get out of the way. Now the high velocity winds running along the weather fronts are an entirely different issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-10-2009, 07:28 PM   #7
BlackPlastic
BlackPlastic is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
1995 SC2

Psh, HCE's are overratted lol. 3500's not limited, 500 is more respectable. The Classic is where it at Tho I am partial seeing as the only Saturns I ever liked are the 95/96 SC2, and the Classic is the ultimate one for me since it is a commemorative tribute to that perfect coupe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BlackPlastic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BlackPlastic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BlackPlastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:17 PM   #8
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPlastic View Post
Psh, HCE's are overratted lol. 3500's not limited, 500 is more respectable. The Classic is where it at Tho I am partial seeing as the only Saturns I ever liked are the 95/96 SC2, and the Classic is the ultimate one for me since it is a commemorative tribute to that perfect coupe.

Speak for yourself Everyone has their niche and their own vehicle.

Corvette owners have their Stingrays, and the 88 commemorative edition....

We Saturn owners have our Homecoming Editions

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #9
2NDSOUT
Master Member

1994 SL2
1999 SL

PSDFan...

I can email you some interior pics of my HCE if you like...

You should have a good leather steering wheel, parking brake and shifter.
Also, you should have a traction control button, and fog light switch near the cigarette lighter. Power windows and right side control mirror.

What is the mileage on this car?

If you are interested in conversing with me through email and pictures on the HCE send me some email at Saturns9102@aol.com

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-10-2009, 11:27 PM   #10
BlackPlastic

1996 SC2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
Speak for yourself Everyone has their niche and their own vehicle.

Corvette owners have their Stingrays, and the 88 commemorative edition....

We Saturn owners have our Homecoming Editions
I suppose the HCE is for the celebration of Saturn, so I respect that.

I think it was really cool that they made a farewell bid to that perfected coupe in 1996. That's the Saturn I like. In retrospect, I guess there were a good number of classics in relation to the HCE's. Surely there are many more Saturn fans than there are 1.5 Gen SC2 fans. There were actually 1500 total - 1,000 automatics and 500 manuals. I made it a point to get a manual by passing up nearly a dozen automatics! Is there a number of manual HCE's or were they all auto?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BlackPlastic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-11-2009, 06:23 AM   #11
2NDSOUT
Master Member

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPlastic View Post
I suppose the HCE is for the celebration of Saturn, so I respect that.

I think it was really cool that they made a farewell bid to that perfected coupe in 1996. That's the Saturn I like. In retrospect, I guess there were a good number of classics in relation to the HCE's. Surely there are many more Saturn fans than there are 1.5 Gen SC2 fans. There were actually 1500 total - 1,000 automatics and 500 manuals. I made it a point to get a manual by passing up nearly a dozen automatics! Is there a number of manual HCE's or were they all auto?
The HCE was made to commemorate the first Homecoming Event that Saturn held in Spring Hill back on June 24-25 1994. They did the same thing when the 2nd Homecoming Event happenend in 1999 by releasing the Mint Green version that was the Gen 2 Sedan with a Tan Leather Cloth Interior and the same options as the 1994 HCE. The addition for the 1999 edition was the White Gauge faceplate that has "Homecoming Edition" printed on it underneath the Tachometer.

The automatic trans on the HCE was an option. The 5 Speed Manual was a standard feature. From my understanding and research; the few options that an original purchaser had when they went to order the HCE that they could get, if they wanted:

-Automatic Transmission with ABS
-Sunroof
-Upgraded Single Disc CD player, and Equalizer with Upgraded 6 Speaker Stereo System

The standard options that came on the car from the factory were:

Fog Lights, Leather gripped Steering Wheel, Parking Brake, and Shifter; Combo Leather/Cloth Seats, Black Emblem badges on the outside, Spoiler, 15" Teardrop Alloys, Power Windows/Power Locks, Cruise Control, AM/FM Stereo Cassette with Equalizer and the Pearl White Paint Finish.

Basically, every option that you could get at the time on an SL2.

My HCE is an automatic...I think PSDFan's is a 5 Speed. While I would have preferred to find a 5 Speed, I'm not complaining.

Trust me...they are hard to find...about as hard to find as the other Saturn "Specials" I mentioned earlier in this thread. It took me the better part of 5 years to find the one that I bought, and I started looking for one around 2003/2004.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

Last edited by 2NDSOUT; 05-11-2009 at 06:30 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #12
PSDFan

1998 SL2
1994 SL2

Quote:
PSDFan...

I can email you some interior pics of my HCE if you like...

You should have a good leather steering wheel, parking brake and shifter.
Also, you should have a traction control button, and fog light switch near the cigarette lighter. Power windows and right side control mirror.

What is the mileage on this car?

If you are interested in conversing with me through email and pictures on the HCE send me some email at Saturns9102@aol.com
I would be interested in seeing pics of your interior, it would help me identify missing pieces. The leather shifter knob is missing as well as all the black badges. The odometer shows 178k but the cracker said that the original odometer was not working so he replaced it with a JY find so I have no idea about original miles.

I don't have traction control, presumably because it's a manual. I stopped at what used to be a local Saturn dealer to see if the Service Manager could help me with finding any information about this car (production line number etc.) and he's finding that GM's website to Saturn is all but shut down.
But he'll continue trying.

My GF & I are going on our first camping trip of the year so I won't be here for about a week. One of the first things that I would like to find is a factory windscreen for the sunroof. I know this may sound odd but engine parts and most body parts will continue to be available. The windscreen (very thick and heavy) may be difficult.

'94 SL2 H.C.E. (finally)
St. Joseph,Mo.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-11-2009, 10:47 AM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Traction Control works with ABS. If the car does not have ABS it will not have Traction Control.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-11-2009, 10:53 AM   #14
groingo
groingo is on a distinguished road

Looks like a great project car.
Anyone who rescues Saturns is OK in my book!
Hope you spend some time and research its history, just icing on the cake.
GOOD FIND!

94 Saturn SW1 (Cash for Clunkers Reject....no kidding)
96 SL2 (Rescued)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to groingo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help groingo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
groingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:39 PM   #15
PSDFan

1998 SL2
1994 SL2

Quote:
Traction Control works with ABS. If the car does not have ABS it will not have Traction Control.
Mine has ABS but no Traction COntrol switch, guess he could have changed the console bezel. I'll have to check for an unused connector when I pull the console.

'94 SL2 H.C.E. (finally)
St. Joseph,Mo.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Good idea. If you have ABS there should be a traction control.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #17
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Good idea. If you have ABS there should be a traction control.

No traction control if his car has a manual transmission. The manual transmission / ABS / traction control combination didnt start until 1996 I believe. Before that only 1993-1995 automatic equipped S-Series with ABS had traction control. 1991-1992's didnt have the option of traction control for any model.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:17 PM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Well, that would explain no switch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-11-2009, 04:40 PM   #19
2NDSOUT
Master Member

1994 SL2
1999 SL

PSDFan,

When you get the chance; email me some photos of your interior to my email that I mentioned earlier in this thread.

I'll email you some of my interiors as well as soon as you provide me an email...

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-11-2009, 04:53 PM   #20
BlackPlastic

1996 SC2
1995 SC2

Quote:
The HCE was made to commemorate the first Homecoming Event that Saturn held in Spring Hill back on June 24-25 1994. They did the same thing when the 2nd Homecoming Event happenend in 1999 by releasing the Mint Green version that was the Gen 2 Sedan with a Tan Leather Cloth Interior and the same options as the 1994 HCE. The addition for the 1999 edition was the White Gauge faceplate that has "Homecoming Edition" printed on it underneath the Tachometer.

The automatic trans on the HCE was an option. The 5 Speed Manual was a standard feature. From my understanding and research; the few options that an original purchaser had when they went to order the HCE that they could get, if they wanted:

-Automatic Transmission with ABS
-Sunroof
-Upgraded Single Disc CD player, and Equalizer with Upgraded 6 Speaker Stereo System

The standard options that came on the car from the factory were:

Fog Lights, Leather gripped Steering Wheel, Parking Brake, and Shifter; Combo Leather/Cloth Seats, Black Emblem badges on the outside, Spoiler, 15" Teardrop Alloys, Power Windows/Power Locks, Cruise Control, AM/FM Stereo Cassette with Equalizer and the Pearl White Paint Finish.

Basically, every option that you could get at the time on an SL2.

My HCE is an automatic...I think PSDFan's is a 5 Speed. While I would have preferred to find a 5 Speed, I'm not complaining.

Trust me...they are hard to find...about as hard to find as the other Saturn "Specials" I mentioned earlier in this thread. It took me the better part of 5 years to find the one that I bought, and I started looking for one around 2003/2004.
Took me a long time to find mine too. One of the first things you gotta check is the spare tire cover, it tells all. There were several option codes that were only available/seen on the Classic. It includes all the other options, but what was unique was the perforated gray leather. I'm so glad because I hate tan leather lol. The gray is just perfect to me. The perforated steering wheel is nice and grippy.

It has black emblems and all that but there are some cool secrets like the rear struts option code 8AE and 9AE. The "E" is not found anywhere else, just A-D. They must be a special tune. It is also getting a new engine this summer (not a Saturn engine) so it will be extra special. Fun fun!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!