SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
wifeofcore
Administrator
wifeofcore is on a distinguished road

Default True or False: Will Buick Get What Was Going to Be the Next-Gen "Saturn" Astra?

A new story entry has been added:

True or False: Will Buick Get What Was Going to Be the Next-Gen "Saturn" Astra?

Quote:
Several websites are reporting that GM has officially decided to transfer the next-generation Astra model to its Buick division. The redesigned Astra will be built in the US; the current Astra is imported from Belgium. Two plants were named as possible manufacturing facilities: Lordstown, Ohio and San Luis Potosi, Mexico.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wifeofcore's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wifeofcore reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wifeofcore is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2009, 09:09 AM   #2
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Default Re: True or False: Will Buick Get What Was Going to Be the Next-Gen "Saturn" Astra?

Interesting enough the Astra's 1.8L will also be an option in the upcoming Chevy Cruz according to MotorTrend mag. There is even a picture of the engine in this month's issue as well.

As far as what happens to Opel, as GM is trying to offload them too only the future will tell.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: True or False: Will Buick Get What Was Going to Be the Next-Gen "Saturn" Astra?

My money's on the Chinese market Excelle being the Buick slotted under LaCrosse and Regal in North America, with 1.4 and 1.8L four-bangers. (The Regal is rumored to get the Equinox/Terrain's 2.4L DI Ecotec as its base engine when it comes here).

The 'baby Buick', as I'd like to call it until GM finalizes its name, is likely to be built at San Luis Potosi with overflow at Lordstown. Then again, GM's decision making process hasn't always been easy to pin down, and I'd expect that to remain unchanged with the government's guidance. I think the new Astra that was slated for Saturn will remain in Europe.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:24 AM   #4
ChrisL
ChrisL has a spectacular aura aboutChrisL has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

Quote:
The redesigned Astra will be built in the US; the current Astra is imported from Belgium. Two plants were named as possible manufacturing facilities: Lordstown, Ohio and San Luis Potosi, Mexico.
I wasn't aware that Mexico is now part of the U.S.

'99 SL 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChrisL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChrisL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ChrisL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
MyOutlookonLife
MyOutlookonLife is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XE
2006 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
I wasn't aware that Mexico is now part of the U.S.
You are correct. No part of U.S. is in Mexico......
However, a large part of the U.S. contains Mexican parts

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MyOutlookonLife's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MyOutlookonLife reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MyOutlookonLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Looks like Buick will be getting the next gen Astra and Aura. Maybe if they built the Astra in the US maybe they could bring back those that were turned off by the first Astra being built in Belgium

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:14 PM   #7
AstraNorth
AstraNorth is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Soooooo....will I be going to Buick for warranty work on my Astra????...or will I be going to a Saturn dealer????...or do I get to go to either?????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraNorth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraNorth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:05 AM   #8
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraNorth View Post
Soooooo....will I be going to Buick for warranty work on my Astra????...or will I be going to a Saturn dealer????...or do I get to go to either?????
Your warranty is provided through GM. As such, you'll be going to any GM dealer when Saturn is sold/scrapped.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:10 AM   #9
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-seriesguy View Post
Looks like Buick will be getting the next gen Astra and Aura. Maybe if they built the Astra in the US maybe they could bring back those that were turned off by the first Astra being built in Belgium
Factoring in: 1) the % of people who even know about Saturn, 2) the % of those people who even know about the Astra, and 3) the % of people in the previous two groups who even care where their vehicle is built, you have maybe 10 people.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:43 AM   #10
unit731
unit731 is on a distinguished road

I know some do like the Astra.

It will be a long time before I will buy another European car. Too many maintenance issues. A family members Swedish Volvo was actually made in Belgium and turned into a rust bucket very quickly. Mabye a specific issue with that version of Volvo. All of my European cars, I got to know the independent mechanics that specialze in 'foreign' cars on a first name basis. And I didn't need new friends.

If I am going to purchase an imported car it will either be a Toyota, Honda, Nissan, or Mitsubishi.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unit731's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unit731 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unit731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:59 PM   #11
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

It is sad, the demise of Saturn.

But I'm also a Buick fan. This could do well for Buick. Let's hope things go well.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote