SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2009, 09:51 AM   #1
thevaledic
thevaledic is on a distinguished road

Mad High idle problems 2001 SL1

Ive got problems with a high idle on my 2001 Saturn SL1, 92k miles. Upon starting it revs up to about 2500 RPMs and will slowly drop to normal. After the car has been running a few minutes, anytime it is put in park the idle will again shoot up past 2,000 RPMs. But when stopped in gear it is normal. Idle is slightly rough too, but high idle is more prominent. In addition the check engine light is on. Had the codes read at Autozone, they were P0301 (cylinder 1 misfire) and P0507 (idle higher than expected: duh!). Other threads I'm reading point strongly to vacuum leak. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thevaledic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thevaledic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thevaledic is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2
Default Re: High idle problems 2001 SL1

Intake manifold is leaking. Spray water or brake clean around cylinder one on the manifold. If the idle changes you found the leak.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...lve%2Fdiagnose

Read that. It's all about high idle.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-08-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Intake manifold gasket replacement:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=115925

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

Good stuff Rc. I'm gonna add that to my high idle thread that way it's in there for future peeps.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-08-2009, 03:37 PM   #6
thevaledic
thevaledic is on a distinguished road

This is some good info, thanks. I have actually already tried the spray water test with no results. Is the brake or carb cleaner more effective in finding vacuum leaks?
Also, I must confess I'm a greenhorn about cars. I'm not even sure where the intake manifold is. I thought it was a big part that kind of looks like a hand with four hugely deformed fingers. That's where I sprayed the water. Again, another simple detail but one I'm not sure of...should I use the sprayer on a mist-like setting or a more focused stream?
I should also mention that I thought I heard a hissing noise near the top of cylinder 1, right below the power steering fluid reservior. But the guy at Autozone said it sounded normal. I can't be sure because I don't know what "normal" sounds like.
Finally, if it is the intake manifold gasket, according to other threads I've read here that is quite a difficult task, more than I can handle. So any ideas how much a reasonable shop would charge? Should I go to an all-purpose car repair place like Midas, or a genuine Saturn dealer?
Thanks again for any and all input.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thevaledic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thevaledic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thevaledic is offline   Reply With Quote