SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2009, 09:20 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Automotive News: When Saturn Goes, So Does a Quarter of GM Hybrid Sales

A new feeditems entry has been added:

Automotive News: When Saturn Goes, So Does a Quarter of GM Hybrid Sales

Quote:
Richard Truett from Automotive News: When General Motors closes down Saturn later this year, it will lose just over a quarter of its sales of fuel-saving hybrids

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2009, 08:07 AM   #2
ChgoBlues
ChgoBlues is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line
Default Re: Automotive News: When Saturn Goes, So Does a Quarter of GM Hybrid Sales

Ok, once again, remind WHY GM is shuttering Saturn

08 Astra XR 3 door
Twilight Blue/Blk 5-spd
Splash Guards

08 Sky Red Line
Midnight Blue/Blk 5-spd
Splash Guards
Opel GT Antenna

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChgoBlues's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChgoBlues reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ChgoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:25 AM   #3
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Default Re: Automotive News: When Saturn Goes, So Does a Quarter of GM Hybrid Sales

I had posted this info in a post/thread yesterday:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=137738

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Talk about cutting off one's nose to spite their face.

I have no doubt that some form of hybrid technology will appear on the Malibu and Equinox - it's just a matter of when. The scenario brought up by piney in the separate thread seems more likely, especially since Fusion is a threat to the sales of Japanese hybrids.

I've also noticed that in NYC, there has been an increase in Camry and Altima Hybrid taxicabs and that 2010 Fusion models are being given serious consideration for purchase by the TLC (taxicab and livery commission). I'm sure GM would like to have some kind of presence with their Malibu.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:55 PM   #5
marsanramella
marsanramella is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 ION-2 Sedan

This is what make Saturn a unique brand. It has on occasions put out novel designs. Kinda of like the "Apple" of the automobile industry. Although this has been hampered in the recent past somewhat by GM dictating Saturn on what to do and sell.

I will never understand GM. Do they really think now that when the economy picks up, hopefully, in the near future, that crowds will flock into their showrooms and go totally gaga over their antiquated Chevys, Buicks, and Cadilacs? So far, all I heard is that Chevy will put out the Volt electric car in 2010. Only one model. Big Deal. Wake up GM!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marsanramella's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marsanramella reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marsanramella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:16 PM   #6
page2171
page2171 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR898SL2 View Post
Talk about cutting off one's nose to spite their face.

I have no doubt that some form of hybrid technology will appear on the Malibu and Equinox - it's just a matter of when. The scenario brought up by piney in the separate thread seems more likely, especially since Fusion is a threat to the sales of Japanese hybrids.

I've also noticed that in NYC, there has been an increase in Camry and Altima Hybrid taxicabs and that 2010 Fusion models are being given serious consideration for purchase by the TLC (taxicab and livery commission). I'm sure GM would like to have some kind of presence with their Malibu.

There already is a Malibu Hybrid...the problem is that the gas mileage is too close to the 2.4/6 speed auto to justify the extra cost.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to page2171's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help page2171 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
page2171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:37 PM   #7
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by page2171 View Post
There already is a Malibu Hybrid...the problem is that the gas mileage is too close to the 2.4/6 speed auto to justify the extra cost.
I never thought I'd be saying this, but Ford's technology for the 2010 Fusion hybrid blows BAS out of the water. The Blue Oval will enjoy a competitive advantage until Voltec technology (or some variant thereof) is available for the Malibu, since GM has appearently decided the outgoing VUE's two-mode system is non-transferrable to surviving core brands.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:00 PM   #8
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsanramella View Post
This is what make Saturn a unique brand. It has on occasions put out novel designs. Kinda of like the "Apple" of the automobile industry. Although this has been hampered in the recent past somewhat by GM dictating Saturn on what to do and sell.

I will never understand GM. Do they really think now that when the economy picks up, hopefully, in the near future, that crowds will flock into their showrooms and go totally gaga over their antiquated Chevys, Buicks, and Cadilacs? So far, all I heard is that Chevy will put out the Volt electric car in 2010. Only one model. Big Deal. Wake up GM!
I agree with you. This is what I wrote about a few weeks back. If anyone in their right mind thinks that ONE CAR is going to turn an ENTIRE COMPANY around...they are fooling themselves BIG TIME! Especially since the Volt is going to cost between $35-$40K to begin with. Secondly, there are only going to be 10K of these cars made the first year. So there AREN'T going to be many of them to be found at all. The majority of them will be bought by people that are in higher paying jobs anyway. Average Joe won't be driving around in a Volt. Guaranteed. The Volt is going to be the biggest PR Nightmare that GM has ever seen.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:30 PM   #9
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
If anyone in their right mind thinks that ONE CAR is going to turn an ENTIRE COMPANY around...they are fooling themselves BIG TIME!
It's happened before...

1935: Packard One-Twenty
1945: VW Beetle
1949: '49 Ford
1977: Mazda GLC
1981: Chrysler K-Car

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote