SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
Wrench Oil change, Tools Required, Oil Life Monitor Reset Instructions

When "INSP" and "1000" show up on your odometer, it's time to change the oil within 1000 miles.

First off, you will need a 24mm socket to remove the oil filter cartridge and filter assembly, and a T45 Torx bit (socket style works best) to remove the oil plug.

Drain the oil first, and then the cartridge can be removed with minimal mess. This is a photo of the cartridge filter location (cartridge is removed at this point.)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3091613...n/photostream/
Overall, it's a very easy oil change, with minimal mess. I didn't find any need to jack up the car to change the oil - very impressive on a compact car.
The Astra takes 4.8 quarts of 5W-30 oil.

At the time of writing, oil filters are available direct from your GM dealer,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30916139@N07/3477137106/
or Purolator makes a filter (#L15839)
Advance Auto Parts does stock this Purolator filter.

Here are some photos of the GM vs. the Purolator filters (they look identical to me, other than the writing on the end).

They both come with new o-rings to be installed on the cartridge. Can be seen in this photo at the bottom of the threads:

The following is the correct way to reset the oil life monitor. Thanks to Layoira for originally writing these instructions.

1. Turn the ignition key to LOCK/OFF.
2. Press the instrument panel cluster stem until the odometer is displayed, then release the stem.
3. Re-Press and hold the cluster stem until the letters InSP are displayed.
4. Press and hold the brake pedal down, Hold the cluster stem down and turn the ignition key to ON/RUN.
5. The letters InSP in the instrument panel cluster display will flash.
6. Keep the cluster stem down for at least 10 seconds and then release the stem and the brake pedal when the message "new remaining mileage" is displayed.

Drives: 2014 Volt, 2017 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 15 Acadia, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S

Last edited by emg77; 04-26-2009 at 02:14 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emg77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emg77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
Thumbs Up Re: Oil change, Tools Required, Oil Life Monitor Reset Instructions

Good write-up!

One thing that I'd like to add, based on years of experience in the field: always loosen the oil filler cap before you start. This is especially important if the last oil change was performed by someone other than yourself. I've seen oil filler caps on so tightly that large slip joint/water pump pliers were required to remove them (which would be bad if you didn't own a pair). I've also seen caps that actually broke during removal, leaving part of it still in the valve cover (now what are you gonna do?).

To put it another way, always make sure you can put the oil IN before you drain it OUT. Unless you want to flip the car on its roof and pour the oil in through the oil pan drain hole.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #3
Vagabondjpm
Vagabondjpm is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Oil change, Tools Required, Oil Life Monitor Reset Instructions

OK, newbie question. These cars have oil monitors on them? I ran my car to 4900 miles before changing the oil and I was never offered any reminder. Please help.

Drive safe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vagabondjpm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vagabondjpm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vagabondjpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:30 AM   #4
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

I'd say "keep driving".

Oil life monitoring systems are a bit more complicated than the simple "every 5,000kms (3,000 miles) or three months" that the oil change industry helped create. Every car has different maintenance service intervals, depending on how it is driven. Your owner's manual might list "regular duty", "severe duty", and "very severe duty", for example. If you do a lot of stop & go city driving, you actually fall into the middle category (even though you think to yourself "I'm pretty gentle with my car and don't abuse it"). If you do most of your driving on the freeway, you fall into the first category, but if you haul a heavy trailer on dirt or gravel roads, you could end up in the latter category.

Other than simply using an odometer reading or calendar to predict your next oil change, the system also takes into account engine hours, distance driven, average engine temperatures, # of start-up cycles, etc. This is how it predicts when an oil change is required. We've all been exposed to the "every 5,000kms (3,000 miles) or three months" for so long now that nobody bothers to question it anymore.

Try Googling "oil change intervals" and see what pops up...

This link in particular is quite interesting, as it claims that European car owners change their oil about half as often as North American owners (relevance being: our Astras are European):

http://www.oilanalysis.com/article_d...?articleid=562

But if you've already changed your oil, it's too late. Just make sure you reset the oil life monitor as emg77 outlined in his article so that you're ready for the next one.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #5
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabondjpm View Post
OK, newbie question. These cars have oil monitors on them? I ran my car to 4900 miles before changing the oil and I was never offered any reminder. Please help.

Drive safe.
Yes, there is an oil life monitor. Mine came on at around 6500 miles (70/30 split between city and highway driving). If you get in the car and press/hold the trip odometer reset button before turning on the car, the odometer will show InSP and the number of miles remaining (rounded to 500 miles).

Past Cars: 08 Astra, 15 Acadia, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help emg77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-01-2009, 08:41 PM   #6
missan astra
missan astra is on a distinguished road

Thankx for the info on how to reset the oil life monitor....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to missan astra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help missan astra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
missan astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:59 PM   #7
fbrr
fbrr is on a distinguished road

As this seems to be an"OIL thread". I will add the following.
I have calibrated oil life monitors. ( Plugged in the values recommend. I did not come up with the values, but as someone mentioned there is a "factor" used in calibration that takes into account time, temperature, both intake and coolant, engine cycles and run time, etc)

While for warrenty aspects that monitor is adequate.

But the FIRST ol change is still critical to engine durablity. A monitor DOES not take into account "green engine" time but "normal" intervals.

The first oil change should still be done by about 1600 miles to remove both the material left from"manufacturing" and any "wear" metal from a new engine!!!The go with a "monitor" change interval!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fbrr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fbrr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fbrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:32 PM   #8
Nightwalker
Nightwalker is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-2 Sedan

Oh wow, so the oil filter is accessed through the top of the engine? Thats pretty neat, I may have to change my oil myself next time.

My audio system thread, how to replace speakers: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137456

2008 Astra 3 door XR, 5-speed MT Black Sapphire, custom audio system

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nightwalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nightwalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:53 PM   #9
emg77
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Yep, oil filter is accessed from the top. Super easy, and much less mess. Draining the oil removes most of the oil from the filter. I don't know why more cars aren't designed this way. I think a late 80's Oldsmobile compact my wife (girlfriend at the time) had in college with a 4 cyl had a oil filter on the top of the engine. That was an easy oil change too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2009, 08:33 AM   #10
Robor007
Advanced Member
Robor007 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrr View Post
As this seems to be an"OIL thread". I will add the following.
I have calibrated oil life monitors. ( Plugged in the values recommend. I did not come up with the values, but as someone mentioned there is a "factor" used in calibration that takes into account time, temperature, both intake and coolant, engine cycles and run time, etc)

While for warrenty aspects that monitor is adequate.

But the FIRST ol change is still critical to engine durablity. A monitor DOES not take into account "green engine" time but "normal" intervals.

The first oil change should still be done by about 1600 miles to remove both the material left from"manufacturing" and any "wear" metal from a new engine!!!The go with a "monitor" change interval!!
I changed mine at around 4K - the OLM wasn't on yet but I figured it was about time since the engine was new. When I had my VW the dealer told me *not* to change it before 5K because it had 'special break-in oil' in it. I don't know if that's true or not but I traded it at 98K and it wasn't burning oil.

2008 Astra XR3 door 5sp - Silver Sand with premium trim, 18" rims, and advanced audio. (new owner as of 12/15)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Robor007's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Robor007 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Robor007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:03 PM   #11
Nightwalker
Nightwalker is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-2 Sedan

Just changed my oil, it was easier than I thought! Local Advance Auto Parts had the filter in stock, and I already had 5 quarts of Mobil 1 5w-30. Got it all done and reset the timer, saved me a 2 hour visit and $85 at the dealership!

Also, on the note of the oil change interval - the manual specifically says to follow the internal sensor for oil changes, and thats what I'm doing. The mechanics at the dealership were getting irritated that I wasn't doing the 3000 mile bit, but if anything happens, I have the warranty.

My audio system thread, how to replace speakers: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137456

2008 Astra 3 door XR, 5-speed MT Black Sapphire, custom audio system

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nightwalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nightwalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:44 PM   #12
SaturnRaycer
SaturnRaycer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
Just changed my oil, it was easier than I thought! Local Advance Auto Parts had the filter in stock, and I already had 5 quarts of Mobil 1 5w-30. Got it all done and reset the timer, saved me a 2 hour visit and $85 at the dealership!

Also, on the note of the oil change interval - the manual specifically says to follow the internal sensor for oil changes, and thats what I'm doing. The mechanics at the dealership were getting irritated that I wasn't doing the 3000 mile bit, but if anything happens, I have the warranty.
$85 for an oil change at the dealer? The dealers in the Minneapolis St Paul area charge ~$30 for that service and it includes a car wash. Most of the time I'm done and on my way within 45 minutes.

Ours always suggest things they can do for the owner such as wiper blades ($60 plus a few bucks to install, or cabin air filter for 28 + install, and they do put the static cling sticker in the windshield telling me when I should be back (3 mo/3k mi).

Rex
2008 Astra XR
5 dr, 5 spd, sport package
Black Sapphire

If you're going to wave, use all your fingers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnRaycer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnRaycer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnRaycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:46 PM   #13
canada_rokzz
canada_rokzz has a spectacular aura aboutcanada_rokzz has a spectacular aura aboutcanada_rokzz has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

My last three cost me an average of $65 before taxes... Not any more! $10 for the delco filter at a non-GM retailer and $12 for oil... Took me about 10 minutes.

So the difference is $41. Multiply that x6 to make a full hour, and it looks like I just paid myself $246/hour!

Nice tutorial EMG77!

2008 Saturn Astra XR 3 Door

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to canada_rokzz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help canada_rokzz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
canada_rokzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #14
Vagabondjpm
Vagabondjpm is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

I just had my oil changed this morning and when I reset my monitor when I got home, it flashed 11000. Does that mean the car thinks I can go until 11K until my next oil change? I currently have 10K on the car and run Mobil 1 syn in it. I'm still unsure how this thing works: is it a set mileage, a senor and "smart" technology, or what. Thank you for your input.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vagabondjpm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vagabondjpm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vagabondjpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:33 AM   #15
Astra La Vista!

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabondjpm View Post
I just had my oil changed this morning and when I reset my monitor when I got home, it flashed 11000. Does that mean the car thinks I can go until 11K until my next oil change? I currently have 10K on the car and run Mobil 1 syn in it. I'm still unsure how this thing works: is it a set mileage, a senor and "smart" technology, or what. Thank you for your input.
Best guess is that it uses a combination of actual "time" and engine-on time, coupled with distance traveled and how often the car is started and gets up to operating temperature. My guess regarding your flashing "11000" is that it hasn't even been a full day yet and the car's computer doesn't have enough data to give you an estimated interval to your next oil change. You likely won't get a worthwhile answer until you've driven the car for at least a few more days.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-14-2009, 08:06 AM   #16
Saturnfan2004
Saturnfan2004 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2006 ION-2 Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: Oil change, Tools Required, Oil Life Monitor Reset Instructions

I went to my local Saturn dealer to get the oil changed and they gave me a $5.00 discount , so it only cost $27.95 with the free car wash. They've always taken very good care of me there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturnfan2004's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturnfan2004 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturnfan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:44 PM   #17
XRLad
XRLad is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Did mine today and holy man it was easy.15minute i was done.Just like to add one thing.When putting the cap back on with the filter i chose to rub a bit of new oil around the
o ring just to be sure it did not drag/ or unseat as i was threading the cap back on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRLad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRLad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:00 PM   #18
kenzingen
kenzingen is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I just did my first oil change at home (previously done by the dealer) and I have to agree that this is one of the easiest oil changes I have ever done. The filter is in a tight spot, but there is just enough space to put a ratchet in and maneuver around to get the filter out.

The only thing is I only put in exactly 4 qts of 5w-30 and the dipstick shows full (right underneath the upper hash marks). I drained out almost exactly 4 qts (I measured by pouring the old oil back into the empty oil bottles). Has anyone actually put in close to or exactly 4.8 qts of oil after an oil change? Or is the oil level supposed to be on top of the upper hash marks? I think it it were, the oil would be too full because that is the absolute fullest the oil can be. By the way, I am checking the oil when the engine is cold.

2008 Astra XR5, 5sp, Lthr, Sunrf, Sport Handling Package, Adv Audio (current car)
1997 SL2, 5sp Manual (still running strong when sold at 177k miles)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kenzingen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kenzingen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kenzingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:22 AM   #19
Audi Junkie
Audi Junkie is on a distinguished road

The one change I did on the Astra took almost 4.8q. I dry crank the engine to burp out the last of the oil though.

The OLM is calibrated to plain API SM or SL dino oil. The Ecotec engine family is generally not hard on oil at all. Lab reports on used oil are cheap. about $25. Kind of interesting because there is a lot of info there in terms of all the various metals used in making the different componets of the engine.

I prefer changing on a time schedule, 2-3-4 times a year depending on a bunch of factors. Looks like the wife's Astra will get 2 changes a year of good synthetic oil, mostly because that's what I have already from lot of rebates and bogos. Two or three changes of dino would be just fine too. I like Pennzoil, Motorcraft and Havoline. 10w-30 is fine for warmer temps. Say 6000miles is ideal, or 6 months.

We just moved, and I don't know how many miles she will put on it w/her 2 mile commute. This makes time-based changes good too since short trips don't produce enough heat to burn off condensation and excess fuel from the oil. This engine has some issues with oil gumming up the swirl flaps, so don't overfill. We are trying to take her car driving on the weekends to clear it up from the short trips during the week.

I'm reusing the filter for two changes. That's common in the industry now. With our cartridge filters, it's easy to see that modern engines produce minimal contaminates. This brings me to the next point, early 1st oil changes. That is a myth, just like the "debris" that is supposedly in the engine from the factory and stuff. That's what the filter does anyway, trap particles.

I did change early in this car, mostly because the oil was old and I have a fair share of oil already stashed. Many many cars never see anything of the sort, especially in Europe where Opels and Vauxhalls are driven 30,000km every oil change on GM LL-025A spec oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Audi Junkie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Audi Junkie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Audi Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:04 PM   #20
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRLad View Post
Did mine today and holy man it was easy.15minute i was done.Just like to add one thing.When putting the cap back on with the filter i chose to rub a bit of new oil around the
o ring just to be sure it did not drag/ or unseat as i was threading the cap back on.
Clean the inside of the housing while the cap is off as well.

If you can't do an oil change in this car, you are definetly "mechanically challenged."...

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote