SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
mikabl
mikabl is on a distinguished road

Default replacing lower control arm bushings

Hey, my 07 ion-2 with 48,000 miles clunks over bumps and holes. I took it to get a oil change at Saturn any they said it need lower control arm bushings for 420 plus tax! ouch!

Can a reasonably able person (me) replace then? Would I need special tools, or lifts? I went to both advance auto and auto zone, both couldn't help me, parts not available! but i did find them on a web site for 17.00!

Thanks for any advice!

Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikabl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikabl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikabl is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Default Re: replacing lower control arm bushings

Welcome to the Board.

The front lower control arm rear bushings?

420$ is pricey. Should be about 1.5 to 2.0 hours flat rate labour plus the parts.

Surprsied that they failed on an 07. To this you need to remove the control arm from the frame and ideally from the steering knuckle. If you have the special tools to press the bushing out and in you could leave the control arm on the knuckle. For the time and trouble to remove it is not realy worth it to not do so.
There is a special tool to press the bushings out and in. Getting them out is not relay that hard. A hammer and punch/chisel will get them out. Installing is a different story. It takes a bit of care to get them into the control arm properly with the special tool. That said I have seem them hammered in. Not a method I would use but....

The other way would be to get the bushings, remove the control arms and then take them to a shop and pay them to replace them.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikabl View Post
Hey, my 07 ion-2 with 48,000 miles clunks over bumps and holes. I took it to get a oil change at Saturn any they said it need lower control arm bushings for 420 plus tax! ouch!

Can a reasonably able person (me) replace then? Would I need special tools, or lifts? I went to both advance auto and auto zone, both couldn't help me, parts not available! but i did find them on a web site for 17.00!

Thanks for any advice!

Mike
You must have some serious pot holes, or craters, where you live to damage these bushings. Typically they're good for the life of the car...

ssicarman gave you great advice, take them off and to a shop to have the new bushings pressed into place...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 7 Beta 7

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:47 PM   #4
mikabl
mikabl is on a distinguished road

Thanks! I'm gona shop around for a better price then. If it's still out of reach, I'll order them and do as you suggest by taking the parts to a shop!

Very big potholes indeed. The winter was very hard on our roads, and I fell into several monsters. Never expected bad suspension parts this early, kinda disappointed but what can I do.

Glad I found this site! I've been reading quite a bit and learning. lots of cool people and advice!

Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikabl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikabl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikabl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
phillthy
phillthy is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

i agree with the other posters. take control arm off and take arm and new bushings to a local shop to have them pressed in.

I did this repair last week, it was a total of 4 bolts to remove and then 10 Canadian dollars for a local shop to press in the bushings on 2 control arms.

I've scanned the instructions from the shop manual and added the torque specs for re tightening

Click on the picture for the jumbo sized copy!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phillthy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phillthy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phillthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:47 AM   #6
phillthy

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

as well here is a guide about removing old bushing and pressing in yourself. i spent several hours trying to press it in my self using a variety of methods and couldn't get it to press in, that's when i took it to a shop

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=154137

this guide is for a different car and they have the front bushings available aswell (two red colored poly bushings) apparently we can't replace these front bushing, no part avaiable, so ignor the the section regarding the front bushings

Last edited by phillthy; 04-26-2009 at 10:57 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help phillthy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-26-2009, 07:30 PM   #7
Samtherecordman
Samtherecordman is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Is there anything anybody can do to make does last longer!

Mine was 30 000 Km and the left sides was gone. Got it fix, now 38 000 Kms and the right side one is gone.

Is it gonna be like this every 30 000 kms?? Is there better quality control arm bushings that could last a lot longer?? I know it might be with the roads but MAN this car ever discourages me!

Picture of a good lower control arm bushing.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...n/DSCF1731.jpg

Picture of a bad lower control arm bushing.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...n/DSCF1730.jpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Samtherecordman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Samtherecordman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Samtherecordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:40 PM   #8
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

we need someone to make direct replacement poly bushings for the sway bar, endlinks, and control arms, until then, just replace them with rubber OEM or OEM replacement.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:47 PM   #9
docrodg
docrodg is on a distinguished road

Of course, many parts stores will loan you the bushing tool for free. Then you can do it all yourself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to docrodg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help docrodg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
docrodg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:49 PM   #10
Samtherecordman

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Correct me if I'm wrong.

If I understand this correctly, until a aftermarket companies decides to manufacture some lower control arm bushing we are going to keep a couple handy at all time and change them every 30 000 Kms!

What your saying as well is, that its possible to make better quality control arm bushing that will last a lot longer then the OEM ones they currently make? The composition would be of different materials.

Cause man the car drives so bad when they go out. It affects when you release the clutch, when you stir left or right on the wheels!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Samtherecordman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-26-2009, 09:14 PM   #11
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

sort of, you shouldn't get failure every 30000 kms, but the old ones had known issues, and that has been fixed.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-26-2009, 09:16 PM   #12
Samtherecordman

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

What you mean is the ones that comes on the car originally had tendency to be bad. The new replacement parts should last longer?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-27-2009, 12:00 AM   #13
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

yes, there was a TSB on it.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-27-2009, 05:28 PM   #14
Samtherecordman

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

That bushing really sells for just $17 US??

I called local Saturn Dealer today is the 27 th of April.

They can't take my car for service before the 16 th of May unless they get a cancelation!!!!!

Oh God please help me! Anybody have suggestions other then wait? The car is on warranty but still that is almost 3 weeks from now!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-27-2009, 05:36 PM   #15
Samtherecordman

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Anybody found a website where we can buy some the lower control arm bushings?

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-28-2009, 11:12 AM   #16
phillthy

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

i think i paid $22 canadian for one bushing from the dealer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-28-2009, 11:15 AM   #17
Samtherecordman

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I called an other Saturn Dealer today... they are located 2h away from my current one, but they will take me on the 6 th of May instead of the 19 th of May!! THats a big 2 weeks earlier! Thumbs up Fredericton Saturn! :P

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-23-2009, 07:04 PM   #18
NukePooch
NukePooch is on a distinguished road

I also have an 07. Passenger side lower control arm bushings failed at approx 15k miles. They were replaced under warranty. Yes, I live in Detroit area, where the streets have more craters than the moon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NukePooch's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NukePooch reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NukePooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:24 AM   #19
NukePooch
NukePooch is on a distinguished road

Detroit craters strike again...37K miles and one has gone out again...this is gonna get old.

Poly control arm bushings? I don't know anything about them, but I read about these on another site. Pricey, but if they work... Anyone know about them?

(This site won't let a newbie post to other sites... so I have to spell it out rather than link)
go to jbodyperformance dot com
under cobalt/redline
then suspension
then polyurathane

Last edited by NukePooch; 09-27-2009 at 07:29 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NukePooch's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NukePooch reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NukePooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:35 AM   #20
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

first, you just got out of warranty, I would call saturn customer assistance and see if they will replace them again. especially if they only replaced one before and the other one failed. in green bay they only charge 230, weird how a detroit dealership can get away with charging double. the parts are only $30 from GM

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!