SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
Eazy340
Eazy340 is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L
1995 SL1
Default Do your Vue a favor-Replace your timing belt!

Finally got around to having my timing belt/water pump replaced on our '02 Vue 3.0. AWD. I did the rest of the 100,000 mile service items myself last summer, but felt the timing belt was beyond my capabilities as a backyard DIYer. So I waited until now (120,000 miles) to get it done. Boy did I dodge a bullet.

The shop said the belt was extremely worn, and the tensioner was making lots of noise. It could've failed at any moment, with the obvious disastrous results.

So, the moral of the story is follow the maintenance schedule and REPLACE YOUR TIMING BELT AND ACCESSORIES (idler and tensioner) as well as the water pump when you/they are in there. Yes, it's expensive. But would you rather replace the engine?

For those of you who have replaced it, what was the condition of your belt/accessories? I like to think I take it easy on my cars, although I've done a fair amount of towing with the Vue, and I was 20% over the recommended replacement interval. So I guess I'm not too surprised.

Talk among yourselves...I'll give you a topic: timing belt replacement

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Eazy340's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Eazy340 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Eazy340 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2009, 09:02 AM   #2
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Do your Vue a favor-Replace your timing belt!

I plan on replacing mine around 90k then doing the valve adjustment around 100K. I've seen what happens when people go too long without changing the belt. Not pretty nor cheap.

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chillin05VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chillin05VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #3
Bismarck318
Advanced Member
Bismarck318 is on a distinguished road

Location: Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L

Good advice, this is the first car I've had in a while with a timing belt, I wish they would go back to the chains that were more maintence free.

Nevertheless, by the time this service interval usually comes up, the cost of this far exceeds the cost of the actual vehicle itself... I'm imagining these are quite hard to do peeking under my hood. My cousin (who has little mechanical knowledge) chainged his timing belt on his mid/late '80s Civic in about a half hour... he claimed the labor rate on this was astronomical before he decided on doing this one himself.

One other piece of advice, make sure you get a decent water pump too, these were once easy to change, now have become a major nightmare.... I've had these replaced were DOA or lasted no more than a few days.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bismarck318's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bismarck318 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
VTchemist
VTchemist has a spectacular aura aboutVTchemist has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 3.0L

Agreed! The cost of a timing belt pales in comparison with the cost of replacing the engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTchemist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTchemist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:00 PM   #5
kevo420
kevo420 is on a distinguished road

2000 SC2
2005 VUE 3.5L

there's a how-to for the timing belt in the vue tech section for anyone interested.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevo420's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevo420 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevo420 is offline   Reply With Quote