SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Tailgate lift struts

I just replaced mine. I grew tired of hitting my head on the tailgate after it didn't go up all the way and otherwise sluggish raising- especially when cold.

I ordered 2 AC-Delco lift struts (part #510959) from rockauto.com for $19.98 each. Even with the shipping costs, I still came in less than what the local Saturn dealer wanted for one. And the local autopart stores were a couple bucks more than the shipped total- but the stores I called did not have any in stock and would have to order them anyway.

Installation was easy. All you need is a flat blade screw driver to pry up the spring clip that holds the ends over the ball stud. Once that is out of the way, lift up on the tailgate a little and the lift strut pulls right out. Installation was the opposite of removal.

Now the tailgate raises completely on its own and goes up all the way.

The old lift struts had a dirty grime on the tailgate side (the side that is down when the tailgate is closed) which could have been the leaking fluid from the strut combined with dirt. I didn't see any other traces of the grime though.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
Bismarck318
Advanced Member
Bismarck318 is on a distinguished road

Location: Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Tailgate lift struts

I noted mine had been replaced somewhere along the way as they look like they are from different vendors, I also notice a bit of grime, though I notice this on most of these struts on other vehicles I've owned, & they still worked.

So there is no hardware to actually remove from the body (on the vehicle side) ?? I noted my hardware is starting to corrode... I wondering as this vehicle is slightly older than 3 years old how its going to hold up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bismarck318's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bismarck318 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #3
Tom92SCm
Master Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

No hardware to remove. The struts fit over ball studs (one each attached to the body and to the tail gate) and held in place by a "spring clip" on the lift strut.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-16-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
Bismarck318
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

I'm hoping they didn't change this in '06, it looked as if one of the ends were on with a nut... I've replaced these before though & usually the hardest thing was getting the gate to stay up while working on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bismarck318 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-16-2009, 05:34 PM   #5
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Prop it up with a 2x4... Or tie it up if it's in a garage.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 7 Beta 7

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:08 PM   #6
Tom92SCm
Master Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

I rested the tailgate on my head.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2009, 12:18 AM   #7
xtremeranger
Advanced Member
xtremeranger is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line
2006 ION Red Line

I just purchased (4) hood struts for my dads Expo and the mounty he was selling. Monroe brand even, the 4 came up cheaper the 2 of them at the auto parts store. They ended up sending me 6 so my brothers expo will get a set as well......

2005 VUE Red Line AWD - Tint, Audio, K&N
2006 ION Red Line Competition Package - Stage 2, strut bar, Hurst, Antenna delete, tinted corners, painted headlights

1998 SL2 - SOLD 87K-113K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xtremeranger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xtremeranger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xtremeranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:36 AM   #8
YourMainParadox
Advanced Member
YourMainParadox is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

Yea these things seem to fail after a while no matter the car. My dodge intrepid needed new ones for the hood 2 times <.<

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to YourMainParadox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help YourMainParadox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
YourMainParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:55 AM   #9
Someclown
Someclown is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

I believe they fail do to dust and grime getting on the chrome shaft and therefore breaking the seal which holds the fluid in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Someclown's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Someclown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Someclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #10
Bismarck318
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

I have had these go out after a year or two, yet the ones on my '94 Camaro (both the rear hatch & hood are still functioning, & the ones on my '92 Pontiac hood are still good (& I assume original).

Think it all depends on the application, the ones I replaced on my old Cavalier hatchback which died within 2 years, replacements were much heavier than original.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
vogtrj
vogtrj is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

I just did this job and after getting the parts, it took about 3 minutes.

I ordered 'StrongArm 4363 Saturn Vue Base Liftgate Lift Support 2002-05' from Amazon for $16.50 each with free shipping. They arrived in 3 or 4 business days.

As already stated many times, this is super simple with some help to hold the liftgate up.

Thanks for all the advice!

Novice weekend mechanic trying to keep a 2003 Saturn Vue 3.0L on the road. I hire my kids to help with each repair so they don't grow up as clueless as I am.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vogtrj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vogtrj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vogtrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #12
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck318 View Post
I'm hoping they didn't change this in '06, it looked as if one of the ends were on with a nut... I've replaced these before though & usually the hardest thing was getting the gate to stay up while working on it.
06 can also be done with no tools (although a pair of pliers is nice). I also used the 'hold it up with my head method'. Just do one side at a time though as the door is much heavier than you'd expect.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #13
jfisher99
jfisher99 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Mine are toast too. Appreciate the part numbers!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jfisher99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jfisher99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jfisher99 is offline   Reply With Quote