SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
Layoira
Layoira is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Fuel Filler Neck/Cap

Anyone know offhand the TSB# for the fuel filler neck/cap issue? Is there more than one?

Can someone with access kindly search it up for me please, and better yet, tell me the chasis # (VIN) breakdown for this repair.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Layoira's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Layoira reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Layoira is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
GM Sky Man
GM Sky Man is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Fuel Filler Neck/Cap

Here ya go! Enjoy!

08-06-04-024B: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)/Check Engine Light On, DTCs P0442, P0455, P0456 Set (Diagnose and Replace Fuel Fill Cap and Filler Pipe, If Necessary) - (Sep 15, 2008)

Subject: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)/Check Engine Light On, DTCs P0442, P0455, P0456 Set (Diagnose and Replace Fuel Fill Cap and Filler Pipe, if Necessary)

Models: 2008 Saturn Astra

Built Prior to and Including VIN Breakpoint 85108785

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GM Sky Man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GM Sky Man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GM Sky Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

layoira, supposedly my car's vin did not fall into those affected, yet I needed the repair. Oh, and I got that nifty new gas cap with the widget that allows me to hook my cap to the filler door. Cool.

marx404
Saturn lives.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #4
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Sky Man View Post
Here ya go! Enjoy!

08-06-04-024B: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)/Check Engine Light On, DTCs P0442, P0455, P0456 Set (Diagnose and Replace Fuel Fill Cap and Filler Pipe, If Necessary) - (Sep 15, 2008)

Subject: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)/Check Engine Light On, DTCs P0442, P0455, P0456 Set (Diagnose and Replace Fuel Fill Cap and Filler Pipe, if Necessary)

Models: 2008 Saturn Astra

Built Prior to and Including VIN Breakpoint 85108785

Thanks!! You saved me a bunch of time and effort

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Layoira reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #5
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by marx404 View Post
layoira, supposedly my car's vin did not fall into those affected, yet I needed the repair. Oh, and I got that nifty new gas cap with the widget that allows me to hook my cap to the filler door. Cool.
Thanks for that. My VIN is also out of the breakpoint. Im thinking I might have the problem too, from what I have been experiencing, but mine is minor so far cause Im not getting the check engine light and its not always persistant. My car has almost 14000 KMS on it right now, and still no light, so I just wanted to see the info on the bulletin. I doubt tho my dealership will do anything to it until that light comes on unfortunately.

In a weird way I kind of wish it would hurry up and come on, if thats the problem I am noticing with the smell of gas so I can get it fixed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-08-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
Robor007
Advanced Member
Robor007 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Really? Now I'm hoping mine is defective!

2008 Astra XR3 door 5sp - Silver Sand with premium trim, 18" rims, and advanced audio. (new owner as of 12/15)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Robor007's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Robor007 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Robor007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
jon_e_quest
jon_e_quest is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2009 AURA XR

Quote:
Can you post a photo of your new cap and widget? I'm not sure if I have a widget or a doohickey, but I do have something there that I hook my cap onto. It looks more like a vertically oriented pen holder than a gas cap holder.

Sold:
2008 Astra XR3
2009 Aura XR6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jon_e_quest's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jon_e_quest reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jon_e_quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #8
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_e_quest View Post
Can you post a photo of your new cap and widget? I'm not sure if I have a widget or a doohickey, but I do have something there that I hook my cap onto. It looks more like a vertically oriented pen holder than a gas cap holder.
That pen holder thing is for the tire vave cap remover tool lol which some of the earlier astras here got, most didnt as it had an opel logo on it and Saturn took it out. You can buy them for like 50 cents haha if you really want one. I have one cause I had to order other stuff and figured what the hell. It just sits there most of the time altho I did use it once when I didnt want to get my hands dirty

I can hook my gas cap to the fuel door now. I do it all the time. I didnt know some of you couldnt do that??? I thought they all had that.

Seems that TSB came out in September so that somewhat satisfys my answer as to wether this work was maybe done on my car before taking ownership, but I bought new back in August, and my vehicle wasnt sitting on the lot long (about a week before I signed my papers) so chances are it wasnt done. I wish I knew someone with GMVIS to run my vin for me. I no longer have access to this anymore but wish I did cause asking the dealer is like talking to a wall sometimes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #9
tackepj
tackepj is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line
2008 Astra XE

I just checked mine (had the repair done yesterday), and there is a disc at the bottom of the gas cap that allows me to hang it on the fuel door. I don't know if that's new or not, since I haven't filled up my car yet (only 2XX miles!).

The bottom of the gas cap says "Gerdes", and I did notice that this seems to fit quite a bit tighter than the old one.

2005 L300 (traded)
2007 VUE Greenline
2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:32 PM   #10
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackepj View Post
I just checked mine (had the repair done yesterday), and there is a disc at the bottom of the gas cap that allows me to hang it on the fuel door. I don't know if that's new or not, since I haven't filled up my car yet (only 2XX miles!).

The bottom of the gas cap says "Gerdes", and I did notice that this seems to fit quite a bit tighter than the old one.
Yeah thats what mine looks like now. While pumping gas you can just hook that part into the rectangular slot if you wanna call it on the fuel door. Fits nice. I dont know the name on the gas cap though will take a look when Im out to the car in a bit and see what I have.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-08-2009, 06:02 PM   #11
OPEL Blitz
Advanced Member
OPEL Blitz is on a distinguished road

There's some more on the cap in this thread

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131712

2007 OPEL Astra Diesel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OPEL Blitz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OPEL Blitz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OPEL Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:03 PM   #12
Layoira

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPEL Blitz View Post
There's some more on the cap in this thread

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131712
Looks like my car was built after they figured a problem, and changed the gas caps and filler necks. I have had the "new" gas cap that hooks on the fuel door (saw in your pics from that thread) from the start, so Im guessing this TSB deffinately doesnt apply to me now, and my gas smelling fumes must be related somewhere else. Good to know I can pretty much eliminate this TSB as the problem. Thanks for linking that thread I didnt know there was some useful info in there towards the end. I got tired of reading it when everyone was complaining over the guys fuel door getting covered under warranty

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-09-2009, 06:21 AM   #13
Robor007
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

No gas cap hook thingy for me...

2008 Astra XR3 door 5sp - Silver Sand with premium trim, 18" rims, and advanced audio. (new owner as of 12/15)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Robor007 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2009, 06:31 AM   #14
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robor007 View Post
No gas cap hook thingy for me...
Up until now I have been hanging my cap over the valve cap remover holder when I fill up. I think the tether on the new cap is shorter now.

marx404
Saturn lives.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:05 AM   #15
Robor007
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Up until now I have been hanging my cap over the valve cap remover holder when I fill up. I think the tether on the new cap is shorter now.
I usually use my left hand to open the door and unscrew the cap then I hold it and after I put the nozzle in I lay the gas cap across it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-09-2009, 11:49 AM   #16
GM Sky Man
GM Sky Man is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layoira View Post
Thanks!! You saved me a bunch of time and effort
(Tipping my hat and bowing) Not a problem. Glad I be of some assistance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GM Sky Man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GM Sky Man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GM Sky Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:30 AM   #17
gsrboi80
gsrboi80 is on a distinguished road

Just thought I'd update here went into my dealer for something unrelated and was informed there was a recall on my car to replace the filler neck and the fuel cap

I never had a cel for the issue and never received a notice from the dealer. I made the appointment though and they replaced the parts OH Well

03 TB EVO VIII (PT61mm BB) 450awhp Pump Gas (Weekend Warrior)
08 Blue Saturn Astra, 18's, and Leather (Daily Grind)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gsrboi80's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gsrboi80 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gsrboi80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:57 AM   #18
Teh_Freak
Teh_Freak is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robor007 View Post
I usually use my left hand to open the door and unscrew the cap then I hold it and after I put the nozzle in I lay the gas cap across it.
Whereas I just let the cap dangle there and let gravity do all the work, I'm actually curious as to why people do these 'odd' things with their gas caps. It's not like any paint is getting scratched by it.

-- Jon --
Red 2008 Saturn Astra XR3 (2008 - 2012 RIP) :(
Black 1987 Porsche 944
Blue 2012 Ford Focus (On Order)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Teh_Freak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Teh_Freak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Teh_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:35 PM   #19
gsrboi80
gsrboi80 is on a distinguished road

I hate whe the cap bounces off the side of my cars scratch or not. I cut the strap on the EVO and the Astra

03 TB EVO VIII (PT61mm BB) 450awhp Pump Gas (Weekend Warrior)
08 Blue Saturn Astra, 18's, and Leather (Daily Grind)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gsrboi80's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gsrboi80 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gsrboi80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:47 PM   #20
Leith1812
Leith1812 is on a distinguished road

Layoira, I had a similar problem. I was smelling a bit of gas vapor and every 4000-5000km (at 36,000km) the check engine light would pop on and OnStar would diagnose it as the fuel cap. Saturn checked and they concluded there was a small leak in the Evap Canister and replaced it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leith1812's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leith1812 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leith1812 is offline   Reply With Quote