SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
binkers
binkers is on a distinguished road

Default Changing the v6 serpentine belt

2001 L300
So anyway my serpentine belt is whining and I need to change it. I've done several belts on other cars and they were a piece of cake. Looking at my saturn I can't tell where the tensioner is and it also looks like I'd have to take off a motor mount. Am I looking at this completely wrong? Please help here as I've searched the board and can't find anything on the v6 belt except the part about using a 3/8 ratchet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to binkers's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help binkers reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
binkers is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2009, 06:49 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Changing the v6 serpentine belt

Here's a picture to help.
Attached Images
File Type: gif L300 V6 belt routing.gif (11.9 KB, 379 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
Ex-GMtech
Advanced Member
Ex-GMtech has a spectacular aura aboutEx-GMtech has a spectacular aura aboutEx-GMtech has a spectacular aura about

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkers View Post
2001 L300
So anyway my serpentine belt is whining and I need to change it. I've done several belts on other cars and they were a piece of cake. Looking at my Saturn I can't tell where the tensioner is and it also looks like I'd have to take off a motor mount. Am I looking at this completely wrong? Please help here as I've searched the board and can't find anything on the V belt except the part about using a 3/8 ratchet.
The tensioner is at the rear of the engine above the alternator. They say you can pull the pass side splash shield and replace it without pulling the mount. I personally found supporting the engine with a jack and pulling the engine side of the mount easier. On a lift, coming in from underneath would be easier.

OMG this car is easy to work on!

2000 LW2
2016 Impala
1986 GLHS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ex-GMtech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ex-GMtech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ex-GMtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
binkers

Well I took out the three bolts that I can see, but that damn mount won't come off. Any ideas? I tried smacking it with a rubber mallet thinking that it's just stuck, but still nothing. Also there's not really anything to pry on it with.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help binkers reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

There is more than three bolts. Can't remember for sure at the monement but at least four maybe five. One is hidden under a protruding part of the mount.
You will know once you have them all. The mount does not stay/stick in place without the bolts in tight.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:29 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

There are four bolts and the engine must be supported; use a 2x4 between the oil pan and jack support.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0001.jpg (132.6 KB, 272 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-05-2009, 10:31 PM   #7
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
There are four bolts
Thanks.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:53 PM   #8
binkers

Well I just wanted to say thanks everyone. Your right there is a hidden bolt. Once I got that it was a piece of cake. Although I still have a grinding whirling sound coming from that side of the car (I'm thinking that it might be the alternator or some other bearing on the pully system). So anyway thanks for all of your help

Jason

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-05-2009, 10:58 PM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Somebody (ok, I'll take the hit) forgot to mention that while the belt was off, hand turn each pulley and rock it to feel for any worn bearings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #10
Ex-GMtech
Advanced Member
Ex-GMtech has a spectacular aura aboutEx-GMtech has a spectacular aura aboutEx-GMtech has a spectacular aura about

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Somebody (ok, I'll take the hit) forgot to mention that while the belt was off, hand turn each pulley and rock it to feel for any worn bearings.
LOL...I forgot also. Did you run the engine wit hthe belt off to see if the noise was coming from the water pump?

2000 LW2
2016 Impala
1986 GLHS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Ex-GMtech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-06-2009, 07:34 PM   #11
s3nfo
s3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Even though the water pump is under the timing belt cover, the pulley for the water pump comes out of the cover and is run by the serp belt, so running the engine with the serp belt off doesn't turn the water pump.

Serp tensioner itself is also another suspect for serp belt grinding.

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:27 PM   #12
Ex-GMtech
Advanced Member

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3nfo View Post
Even though the water pump is under the timing belt cover, the pulley for the water pump comes out of the cover and is run by the serp belt, so running the engine with the serp belt off doesn't turn the water pump.

Serp tensioner itself is also another suspect for serp belt grinding.
Boy do I feel dumb. I should have remembered that when I posted.

2000 LW2
2016 Impala
1986 GLHS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #13
okubricko
okubricko will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I had a grinding noise from my 2001 L300 at 95,000 and it was the water pump. It would definitly be a good place to start looking.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to okubricko's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help okubricko reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
okubricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:16 AM   #14
binkers

Yeah it was the tensioner. My wife called and said it started screaming loud. She pulled over and the belt broke. She said the temp gauge had just started to rise when she killed the engine. I towed the car home and replaced the tensioner and the belt and every thing appears fine. I was worried that it may have overheated, but it's ran fine with no coolant loss or steam out the exhaust, so I think was caught in time. Lesson learned I guess.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-02-2009, 10:56 PM   #15
kknobl
kknobl will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XE
2008 Outlook XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkers View Post
Yeah it was the tensioner. My wife called and said it started screaming loud. She pulled over and the belt broke. She said the temp gauge had just started to rise when she killed the engine. I towed the car home and replaced the tensioner and the belt and every thing appears fine. I was worried that it may have overheated, but it's ran fine with no coolant loss or steam out the exhaust, so I think was caught in time. Lesson learned I guess.
The belt tensioner in my L300 will need to be replaced in the not so distant future. I'm not brave enough to do it myself as the L81 doesn't look quite as easy to work on as the 1.9 in my SL2 was....

Anyhow, any ideas on how much I can expect to pay for said job. Also, any recommendations (other than the dealer) as to where to get this done?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kknobl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kknobl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kknobl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:20 AM   #16
ernesto rex
ernesto rex is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 VUE 3.0L

Changing out the tensioner for the serp belt is an easy job, with only two bolts to remove and re-attach.

I can send you a photo of what two bolts to remove if you would like to attempt the job yourself.

ernesto

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ernesto rex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ernesto rex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ernesto rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #17
kknobl
kknobl will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XE
2008 Outlook XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernesto rex View Post
Changing out the tensioner for the serp belt is an easy job, with only two bolts to remove and re-attach.

I can send you a photo of what two bolts to remove if you would like to attempt the job yourself.

ernesto
That would be fantastic and greatly appreciated if you could do that....

I'll send you a PM with my e-mail address.

Another thought is that maybe you could even post it here for everyone's general knowledge. I think its now more important than ever that knowledge of these cars be shared. With Saturn dealers going away and the fact that the L81 was not a terribly ubiquitous engine as compared to some of GM's other offerings (Ecotec, 3.8, etc) any shared knowledge will benefit everyone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kknobl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kknobl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kknobl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:48 AM   #18
agmckay
agmckay is on a distinguished road

I just finished replacing my tensioner AND belt due to lack of maintenance on my part. The belt cooked on 295 in traffic and the tensioner cooked as well causing the belt to fry. The tensioner was 2 bolts as stated and the job could not have been much simpler as far as tensioner goes. Now the belt is another story. I had to pull the mount as well. Don't know how anybody could to it without??? I tried and it would NOT fit between the mount and pulley. It is humming along now.

Thanks to this group - when the belt fried I had no way to know how to route it - manual did not have a chart - no sticker nor does the Owners Manual have it. The pic posted here was most helpful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to agmckay's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help agmckay reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
agmckay is offline   Reply With Quote