SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2009, 07:10 PM   #1
haywood2121
haywood2121 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Electrical issues and rotten egg smell??

Hi all,

2003 Saturn LS300 160,000

Symptoms:

*****These all happen at the same time this morning******************

-Rotten egg smell in cabin

-High beams go on and off whenever they feel like it

-When I try to dim and brighten the cabin lights they "flicker"

My service engine light has been on and I had the codes read at lunch and it came up for a thermostat.

Also, this weekend I'm planning on replacing the thermostat, sparkplugs and rear coil pack, because of the service engine light (thermostat code) and preventive maintenance.

Anyone have any ideas?

2003 Saturn LS3 260000 miles and still rolling

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to haywood2121's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help haywood2121 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
haywood2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Electrical issues and rotten egg smell??

1-Rotten egg smell in cabin - Switched gasoline recently?

2-High beams go on and off whenever they feel like it - This may be the combination light/turn signal switch stalk. Search the threads about it.

3-When I try to dim and brighten the cabin lights they "flicker" - If you're describing the dimmer knob, this may be the rotary pot that's flaky and needs tweaking to stiffen it some, from its looseness that contributes to flickering. Exercising it several times sometimes helps. Threads about this too.

Read past threads of body control module (BCM) failures. Yours may have the beginnings of bcm problems.

Quote:
Also, this weekend I'm planning on replacing the thermostat, sparkplugs and rear coil pack, because of the service engine light (thermostat code) and preventive maintenance.
Hopefully, you replaced the timing belt at 100,000 miles? And water pump? There are threads about replacing the thermostat and plugs as you know they're not easily accessible.

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:50 AM   #3
haywood2121

1997 SL2
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I like your approach of taking one issue at a time. When it first happened I was thinking it may some kind of module gone bad.

I'm going to start with the combination light/turn signal switch stalk first.

1-Rotten egg smell in cabin - Switched gasoline recently?-My wifes been driving and she usually sticks to shell, when this happened the tank was 1/4 full.

2-High beams go on and off whenever they feel like it - This may be the combination light/turn signal switch stalk. Search the threads about it.

3-When I try to dim and brighten the cabin lights they "flicker" - If you're describing the dimmer knob, this may be the rotary pot that's flaky and needs tweaking to stiffen it some, from its looseness that contributes to flickering. Exercising it several times sometimes helps. Threads about this too.

Read past threads of body control module (BCM) failures. Yours may have the beginnings of bcm problems.

Quote:

Hopefully, you replaced the timing belt at 100,000 miles? And water pump? There are threads about replacing the thermostat and plugs as you know they're not easily accessible.

Yes I had the timing belt, water pump, seals and idler replaced @ 120,000 miles. As far as the spark plugs and thermostat, there is a reason I've waited 170,000 to change them!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help haywood2121 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-27-2009, 12:38 PM   #4
SaturnTech122
SaturnTech122 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

rotten egg smell can be a sign of soon catalytic converter failure

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnTech122's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnTech122 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnTech122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:30 AM   #5
Wolfc70
Wolfc70 will become famous soon enoughWolfc70 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood2121 View Post

Yes I had the timing belt, water pump, seals and idler replaced @ 120,000 miles. As far as the spark plugs and thermostat, there is a reason I've waited 170,000 to change them!!!
The rotten egg smell could be from misfires. With a 160K on the plugs, they are very worn. Having plugs that worn is also very hard on the coil packs. Considering how the factory plugs looked in my car with 60k(electrode pretty worn), I am surprised that the car has any power.

The misfires are also a great way to kill the cat con.

"I tip my hat to the man who drives an Alfa Romeo" - Henry Ford

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Wolfc70's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Wolfc70 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Wolfc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:55 AM   #6
haywood2121

1997 SL2
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: Electrical issues and rotten egg smell??

okay, problem solved

-Rotten egg smell in cabin -- I added one bottle of seafoam cleaner in the tank combined with the preventive maintenance (spark plugs, thermostat, and coil pack) seemed to have solved it, haven't smelt anything since and also my service engine soon light is off

-High beams go on and off whenever they feel like it-- Changed the switch stalk as suggested - Thanks!

-When I try to dim and brighten the cabin lights they "flicker" --Sprayed WD40 around the knob that controls the dimming

Thanks again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!