SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
The Critic
Advanced Member
The Critic is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Intake Manifold Removal

96 DOHC.

Here's the problem. I was cleaning the throttle body and somehow the straw that is attached to the can came off; it went into the manifold.

I figured, no biggie, i'll just take off the throttle body and retrieve it. My dad said he wants to retrieve it (he doesn't trust me), so I let him do that. Instead, he pushes it in.

How difficult is it to remove the intake manifold?

Thanks.

'10 Altima 3.5SR V6- 5k
'96 SL2- 150k!
'92 Previa- 99k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to The Critic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help The Critic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
The Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2009, 02:59 PM   #2
The Critic
Advanced Member

1996 SL2
Default Re: Intake Manifold Removal

Anyone? the book says 6.9 hours!!!

I'm ready to call a tow truck...

'10 Altima 3.5SR V6- 5k
'96 SL2- 150k!
'92 Previa- 99k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help The Critic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-25-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
Fox Slaughter
Fox Slaughter is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1996 SL2

Well I haven't removed one on a Saturn yet. But generally you remove the bolts holding it?

I'll be sitting at my desk
With a gun in my hand, wearing a bulletproof vest singing
"My, my, my, how the time does fly, when you know you're going to die
By the end of the night."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Fox Slaughter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Fox Slaughter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Fox Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:20 PM   #4
The Critic
Advanced Member

1996 SL2

Heater hoses, serpentine belt, fuel lines, etc.

Book rate is 6.9 hours.

Tow truck is on the way, a hole in the wall place said they'll take care of it for $300.

Expensive lesson.

'10 Altima 3.5SR V6- 5k
'96 SL2- 150k!
'92 Previa- 99k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-25-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Got a shop vac? (Seriously)

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

+1^^^Shop vac and a piece of small diameter hose taped into the shop vac hose.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:44 PM   #7
saturncrzy
saturncrzy will become famous soon enough

1992 SL2
1997 SC2

this happened to me in another car i drove before i got my satty and i used a shopvac i sat there for 30 min trying to get this lil frikin tube out and after 30 min i said forget it and then the next day i went to empty the thing out and sure enough there it was. So dont know how long it really took to get the thing out but my point is that the shop vac worked.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturncrzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturncrzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturncrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:45 PM   #8
Bubs
Bubs is on a distinguished road

I hope you try the shop vac before you (or your dad, if he accepts responsibility for pushing it in) shell out $300 for some shop to do the same thing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bubs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bubs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:33 PM   #9
The Critic
Advanced Member

1996 SL2

Thanks everyone. Here's the update:

I went ahead and had it towed to my mechanic. It was $10 for me, AAA picked up the rest.

When I got there, he "scoped" the intake manifold with his portable snap-on camera. Of course, the straw could not be found as it had already fallen in way too deep.

He suggested that since the straw was plastic, it would do little, if at all, any harm to the engine. My other mechanic buddy agreed. So, my mechanic loaned me some tools and I reassembled the throttle body and intake in his parking lot.

My mechanic went to start it up. It barely started. It started only when he held down the accelerator and cranked it for a long time. After about three tries and a lot of smoke, it stayed running. It ran just fine, actually. We left it idling for 20 minutes.

When I got in the car to leave, I was about to leave the parking lot and the car suddenly stalls. I tried to restart it five times without any success. It would crank and attempt to start, but did not. It sounded like it wasn't getting enough fuel or something. So I pushed it back into his shop and he gave it a few tries. No luck.

Then, he decided to start the engine as though it was flooded. Miraculously, that worked. Again, it smoked a lot, but it started and stayed running. He took the car down the street to pick up some parts and it worked just fine. No stalling. I drove it home (8 miles) and it was fine too. Went out to dinner tonight, and it's still running fine.

Thoughts?

'10 Altima 3.5SR V6- 5k
'96 SL2- 150k!
'92 Previa- 99k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-26-2009, 06:45 AM   #10
fujioko
fujioko is on a distinguished road

1996 SW1

I think the risk of damaging anything mechanical would have been extremely unlikely. I guess it is possible that one of the spark plugs may have gotten fouled temporally with the melted plastic.

It’s also possible the O2 sensor may have been coated with a noxious substance. Although the O2 sensor shouldn’t have an effect on starting the engine..

Keep an eye on your gas mileage. If the mileage drops during the next few tankfull of gas then the O2 sensor may need to be replaced.

96 SW1 5spd & trailer hitch 309000 miles <--rebuilt!
79 Triumph Spitfire <--British car
94 Mazda Miata 45MPG
91 Mazda Miata 3 cyl. 51MPG

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fujioko's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fujioko reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fujioko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:30 AM   #11
The Critic
Advanced Member

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujioko View Post
I think the risk of damaging anything mechanical would have been extremely unlikely. I guess it is possible that one of the spark plugs may have gotten fouled temporally with the melted plastic.

It’s also possible the O2 sensor may have been coated with a noxious substance. Although the O2 sensor shouldn’t have an effect on starting the engine..

Keep an eye on your gas mileage. If the mileage drops during the next few tankfull of gas then the O2 sensor may need to be replaced.
Thanks!

My Bosch "direct fit" oxygen sensor is still under the one-yr warranty from AutoZone, so maybe it's time to replace it as preventive maintenance.

'10 Altima 3.5SR V6- 5k
'96 SL2- 150k!
'92 Previa- 99k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-26-2009, 10:40 AM   #12
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

If the plastic and cleaner managed to contaminate the O2 sensor it may clear up from heat or it may not. If the car starts and idles then you probably dodged the bullet on this one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:15 PM   #13
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

A little late to post this. But that little straw wont do anything.

This more common than you may think. Many, many years ago my brother did this on his Plymouth Acclaim. I called the manufacture of the carb cleaner and was informed that the little straw being ingested by the engine is taken into consideration during its design. It'll get broken, crushed and burnt into nothing.

Now if you shoved a handfull of them in there that would be a different story.

The reason you had a problem starting after all this is because you probably had pools of cleaner and gunk contaminating the A/F mixture.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:40 PM   #14
The Critic
Advanced Member

1996 SL2

Thanks for the advice.

I think I'll keep an eye on things, but I think everything is probably OK. I should probably replace the throttle body gasket though.

'10 Altima 3.5SR V6- 5k
'96 SL2- 150k!
'92 Previa- 99k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!