SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #1
mgordon1100
mgordon1100 will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
Default Seized Engine and MMO

I read in a message a while ago, that someone tried MMO on their seized engine. Here's my story. The guy who did my ex's oil change couldn't get the oil filter off, but he did something so that when she went to work, all the oil drained out. A couple of blocks away, the car died out. Engine is seized up. What kind of probability is there that a good MMO soak will get it moving again?

Oh, it's a 99 SL2 Automatic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mgordon1100's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mgordon1100 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mgordon1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2009, 10:19 PM   #2
harley2003
harley2003 has a spectacular aura aboutharley2003 has a spectacular aura aboutharley2003 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1
Default Re: Seized Engine and MMO

Slim to none.

2013 Hyundai Sonata new
2003 Harley Davidson FXDWG wide glide.
2015 Hyundai accent hachback

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to harley2003's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help harley2003 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
harley2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:54 PM   #3
westwind999
westwind999 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
1999 SW1

+1 slim to none.

Probably what happened is the rubber ring from the first filter stuck to the block so there were two gaskets when the new filter was installed. One of the two gaskets shifted and allowed the oil to leak out. Always make sure the gasket is removed when you take the filter off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to westwind999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help westwind999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
westwind999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:19 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

+1 for just none.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:51 AM   #5
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

This is what you will find.

Engine replacement time.

85 GLH 290whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215679
94 855 389xxx miles and climbing.
00 Insight 50mpg++

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:17 AM   #6
93SC2'in
93SC2'in is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgordon1100 View Post
I read in a message a while ago, that someone tried MMO on their seized engine. Here's my story. The guy who did my ex's oil change couldn't get the oil filter off, but he did something so that when she went to work, all the oil drained out. A couple of blocks away, the car died out. Engine is seized up. What kind of probability is there that a good MMO soak will get it moving again?

Oh, it's a 99 SL2 Automatic.
ROFL i was lauging for a good 5 mins after reading that... not because of the oil draining out that's lame. but even the thought of MMO doing something for a seized engine is ridiculous... also don't let stupid people change your oil would be my suggestion to your ex

93 SC2, 5-speed, <dead and gone>
95 SL2 5-speed, oem header, gsi TB, sprint 2.0, kyb gr2's, wb02, SAFCII, CAI, 17"s
---------------
Speed Kills - save lives, Drive a honda

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 93SC2'in's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 93SC2'in reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
93SC2'in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:30 AM   #7
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

A co-worker once decommissioned an old '80s Mustang in her driveway. A year later, another friend needed a car. Engine in Jeen's Mustang was seized. For grins, we threw a couple ounces of MMO into each chamber, and a week later, the engine turned. Got it started, and Cindy drove that car for about a year before it blew up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:20 AM   #8
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
A co-worker once decommissioned an old '80s Mustang in her driveway. A year later, another friend needed a car. Engine in Jeen's Mustang was seized. For grins, we threw a couple ounces of MMO into each chamber, and a week later, the engine turned. Got it started, and Cindy drove that car for about a year before it blew up.
It will work on engines that don't turn due to non use. Usually a rust ridge forms in the cylinder walls and the MMO helps break it up and get the engine moving again. An engine that failed while driving due to lack of lubrication has zero chance of coing back with MMO.

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squareback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:35 AM   #9
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
It will work on engines that don't turn due to non use. Usually a rust ridge forms in the cylinder walls and the MMO helps break it up and get the engine moving again. An engine that failed while driving due to lack of lubrication has zero chance of coing back with MMO.
Perfect reply. The seizure in this case is most likely at the rod and or main bearings at the CRANKSHAFT. MMO will do nothing.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:19 AM   #10
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinghl View Post
This is what you will find.

Engine replacement time.
oh that's not so bad. nothing a bit of locktite can't handle. lol.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:21 AM   #11
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Quote:
What kind of probability is there that a good MMO soak will get it moving again?
Well, maybe if the MMO is deep enough to float the car and is flowing in the direction you want it to go

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:09 AM   #12
mgordon1100
mgordon1100 will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93SC2'in View Post
ROFL i was lauging for a good 5 mins after reading that... not because of the oil draining out that's lame. but even the thought of MMO doing something for a seized engine is ridiculous... also don't let stupid people change your oil would be my suggestion to your ex

Yeah, here's the backstory. He changed it "two" oil changes ago. I tried changing it again in the middle of the winter, but I could not get the filter to budge. It was fused on there real good. It was freezing, even in the garage, so I just drained out what was left of her crappy oil and refilled it. She drove another four months, and this time he tackled it again. He still didn't get the filter off, but he must have loosened it a little, or he put a hole in it and didn't know. She said he blamed me for it because "Mike was the last one to change your oil. It was his fault". She knows it wasn't my fault and blames him for losing her car.

She ended up getting another car on borowed money. I asked her why she doesn't just have another engine put in it, as it will be cheaper. She's got her mind set that the Saturn probably will only last another year. I coudn't convince her that the car is good. Here's the thing, no matter what she does with the car, my name is on the title and I have it sitting right here. She needs me to be able to do anything with it. I hope she pays for it to be towed to me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mgordon1100's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mgordon1100 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mgordon1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:33 AM   #13
Carlr33
Carlr33 is on a distinguished road

More than likely if he put any stress on the filter with a filter wrench or other tool he put a small hole in the filter causing the leak.

Quote:
Yeah, here's the backstory. He changed it "two" oil changes ago. I tried changing it again in the middle of the winter, but I could not get the filter to budge. It was fused on there real good. It was freezing, even in the garage, so I just drained out what was left of her crappy oil and refilled it. She drove another four months, and this time he tackled it again. He still didn't get the filter off, but he must have loosened it a little, or he put a hole in it and didn't know. She said he blamed me for it because "Mike was the last one to change your oil. It was his fault". She knows it wasn't my fault and blames him for losing her car.

She ended up getting another car on borowed money. I asked her why she doesn't just have another engine put in it, as it will be cheaper. She's got her mind set that the Saturn probably will only last another year. I coudn't convince her that the car is good. Here's the thing, no matter what she does with the car, my name is on the title and I have it sitting right here. She needs me to be able to do anything with it. I hope she pays for it to be towed to me.

2000 SL1
206,000 MILES

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Carlr33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Carlr33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Carlr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:44 AM   #14
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Yeah, here's the backstory. He changed it "two" oil changes ago. I tried changing it again in the middle of the winter, but I could not get the filter to budge.
Sounds like he tightened it down to the "proper" 500 lb torque

I took my Breeze to the local Walmart oil change once, when they first opened up, because I was in a hurry. Next oil change, I drained the oil... then tried to remove the filter. I could not get that sucker off with cap wrenches, screwdriver stuck through, etc.

When I finally got it off with a big-*ss channel-lock type wrench around the base (no joke, I was underneath and I was pulling most of my 200lb body weight off the ground trying to turn it) I saw that the moron that put the filter on had tightened it until there was metal-to-metal contact - he gouged the outside of the engine block.
Quote:
She's got her mind set that the Saturn probably will only last another year.
If this moron does her maintenance, she's probably right

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:16 PM   #15
93SC2'in
93SC2'in is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

i had this same problem when i got my saturn and did my first oil change the filter was on so damn tight and it was to damn small for one of those filter strap wrenches so i put a strip of rubber around it until i could get a good bite with the strap and that worked like a charm but still it was on insanely tight probably a wal-mart special

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
yeah thats entirely different like stated above that engine was just frozen probably from rust on the rings as where the OP had no oil in there engine... MMO wont do squat to a properly seized engine...

oh and dont ever let people drive around in something thats in your name thats just asking for trouble

93 SC2, 5-speed, <dead and gone>
95 SL2 5-speed, oem header, gsi TB, sprint 2.0, kyb gr2's, wb02, SAFCII, CAI, 17"s
---------------
Speed Kills - save lives, Drive a honda

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 93SC2'in's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 93SC2'in reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
93SC2'in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:16 PM   #16
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Here's the thing, no matter what she does with the car, my name is on the title and I have it sitting right here. She needs me to be able to do anything with it. I hope she pays for it to be towed to me.

Got AAA? If so, tow it back your place for free.

85 GLH 290whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215679
94 855 389xxx miles and climbing.
00 Insight 50mpg++

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:00 PM   #17
Fox Slaughter
Fox Slaughter is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1996 SL2

An engine that sits and builds up rust you can sometimes just crank it over long enough that it breaks free. This could cause scoring of the walls through. Thats what a good old cast iron block is for though ahaha.

I'll be sitting at my desk
With a gun in my hand, wearing a bulletproof vest singing
"My, my, my, how the time does fly, when you know you're going to die
By the end of the night."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Fox Slaughter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Fox Slaughter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Fox Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:18 PM   #18
p-ROCK
p-ROCK is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwind999 View Post
+1 slim to none.

Probably what happened is the rubber ring from the first filter stuck to the block so there were two gaskets when the new filter was installed. One of the two gaskets shifted and allowed the oil to leak out. Always make sure the gasket is removed when you take the filter off.
"What the hell are you talking about, a monkey with a wrench could change oil"

"So what are the two things you want to make sure about that an average joe would have no idea about?"

"Take the oil cap off and tighten the hell out of the new filter"
WRONG
"Make sure the old gasket came off, and lubricate the new gasket."

1996 SL2 5-speed Silver Pearl
134,000 miles
204k as of 01/12
220k as of 08/12

2002 Jaguar XKR Coupe Black
42,000 Miles
50k as of 01/12
52k as of 08/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to p-ROCK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help p-ROCK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
p-ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:39 AM   #19
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Quote:
Got AAA? If so, tow it back your place for free.
Up to a point. The AAA free tow is typically for a limited distance and you pay for any extra distance. What distance, check with your local AAA. Still a good benefit for members.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:46 AM   #20
Fox Slaughter
Fox Slaughter is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1996 SL2

I have free towing up to 500 miles.

I'll be sitting at my desk
With a gun in my hand, wearing a bulletproof vest singing
"My, my, my, how the time does fly, when you know you're going to die
By the end of the night."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Fox Slaughter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Fox Slaughter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Fox Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote