SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
saturnplace
saturnplace is on a distinguished road

Default Japan Car Company

I have pretty good insight that the deal is going to come out of Japan. However, I am not too sure which car manufacturer.

If I had to pick one of the top of my head it would be Toyota/Scion.

It would be a perfect fit. From Wikipedia - Scion

Scion uses sales tools such as "Pure Price" and monospec trim levels with a wide selection of factory and TRD accessories. Extensive market research and testing with Generation Y consumers formed the basis of the Scion badge.

"Pure Price" means that the price posted, whether on the vehicle, in an advertisement, or on a menu display board in the dealership, is the price customers will pay. This includes vehicles, accessories, finance and insurance products. Pure Price is designed to ensure a shorter and simpler process, eliminating all negotiation. The concept aims to be open and consistent to all customers. The concept is not new to the American market, having been introduced in the early 1990s by the Geo and Saturn marques of General Motors.

-----

I am almost sure this deal is coming out of Japan, but the rest is all speculation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnplace's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnplace reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnplace is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2009, 08:54 PM   #2
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Japan Car Company

What? Why would toyota pick Saturn when it already sells all of its vehicles from their own dealerships?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
skijay
skijay is on a distinguished road

If I was to speculate, I would say Saturn would become a distribution method for Opel products. I know this seems kind of strange, but think about it, what are the current Saturn models??????

It would be a way for Opel to sell more of their products in the US through a non - GM network. Basically continue rebadging their models (like they are doing now) and sell them through the independent Saturn distribution centers.

Heck if Nissan builds and rebadges the Frontier as the Suzuki Equator, Suzuki SX4 is rebadged as the FIAT Sedici, anything is possible. Who would have ever thought a Saturn would have a Honda motor in it?

edit: Some good marketing would help, too. Let's help consumers forget and forget fast about CVT and the L series (no offense to those of you own that tranny or that line of Saturn). It is possible to overcome faults. Look at the 1986 Hyundai Excel and look at the 2009 Hyundai Genesis. Would any of us have ever thought 23 years ago that the company that brought us the Excel would deliver a world class car that rivals Mercedes?

2009 Subaru Forester / AT
2006 Scion Xa / AT

Former Saturns all bought new:
2003 Saturn VUE 2.2 / 5 sp
2001 Saturn L100 - 5 sp
1997 Saturn SL2 - AT
1996 Saturn SL2 - 5 sp

Last edited by skijay; 03-30-2009 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: adding the remark about the L series

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to skijay's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help skijay reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
skijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
PontiacLvr
PontiacLvr is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 2.2L

I have to think its Suzuki ..which already tried that didnt they ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PontiacLvr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PontiacLvr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PontiacLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:31 PM   #5
Sival
Sival will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan

I don't think Toyota, Honda or Nissan would do it. Mazda and Subaru would surprise me. The only japanese car companies who might be tempted would be the ones with poor dealer networks in North America who would want to use Saturn to sell their stock easier as they figure that the Saturn dealers wouldn't compete with their own most of the time and it would be a straight gain for them. That would leave Suzuki and Mitsubishi off the top of my head. Suzuki would in theory be the most logical "fit" as they tend to be more economical cars, whereas Mitsubishi tends to be much more sporty in North America. Or maybe for that exact reason, Mitsubishi is more likely as they would send their economical cars to Saturn and keep their sporty ones for their own brand name (is it the return of the Colt?).

... or maybe we'd get Kei cars at Saturn? Like Daihatsu and the like?

Anyway, I'm curious at what partners might team up with Saturn. One thing for certain, if it's chinese or indian, I'm never buying one of these Saturns. Even Japanese Saturns I'm not sure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sival's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sival reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:08 AM   #6
eelfliw
eelfliw is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XE
2002 SL

I would go one step further and say that I won't buy a Saturn if it's not made in North America.

Yes, I know many of you may jump in and say that today's cars source parts from all over the world. But bear in mind that there is much much more to a car than just the parts. There are investors who put in the money to fund the concept. From the concept the designers create the car's drawings and specifications. From the drawings, engineers create blueprints, write manufacturing procedures and design production lines based on numerous lab testing, wind tunnel testing, crash testing and performance testing. Writers write manuals. Marketing create sales, support and service plans. Management gets funding and co-ordinate support. Etc., etc., etc..

Millions of things takes place before the first piece of the car is even put on the assembly line. And after the car is sold, the profits from the car is then re-invested back into creating newer cars.

I want those money and jobs to stay in North America.

Honda or Toyota lovers can say that their cars are assembled in North America. But the high end jobs (service industry jobs) associated with producing the cars are not in North America. Only the low end (no offense intended) labor jobs and dirty factory jobs are in America. So the union strikes and factory pollution stay in America while investment returns and engineering skills stay in Japan - that doesn't do anything to help our economy. That's why I'd rather buy a North American Saturn instead of Japanese Saturn.

I'm not trying to bash Japanese cars. I'm simply trying to dispel the myth that just because a Honda is assembled in America, it is an American car. Far from it. During this economic downturn, I want to ensure as much of the money I spent as possible is re-invested in North America to create jobs for office workers and the investors instead of going overseas.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eelfliw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eelfliw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eelfliw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:22 AM   #7
saturn of cary -Jill
saturn of cary -Jill is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnplace View Post
I have pretty good insight that the deal is going to come out of Japan.
I am almost sure this deal is coming out of Japan, but the rest is all speculation.
Where does this insight come from?
Cheers,
Jill

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn of cary -Jill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn of cary -Jill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn of cary -Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:13 AM   #8
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

The reason I became a fan of Saturn was that it was an American company that proved we could do as well as the Japanese. Take away the American and you take away the whole point of Saturn.

Celebrity Eurosport.
When the road gets a little nervous, take one of these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:16 PM   #9
jaman
jaman is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Happy Re: Japan Car Company

I hear the deal is going to be from the planet Pluto ?

SPACE )))) )))) ))) THE FINAL FRONTIER ((( (((( (((( TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO SATURN HAS GONE BEFORE ((

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jaman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jaman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:32 PM   #10
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

it is a japanese company .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:47 PM   #11
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post

Too bad. Not something I'm going to get excited about, certainly.

Celebrity Eurosport.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-31-2009, 02:15 PM   #12
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

compared the the other choices i think this is a good move. at least we wont be selling tatas or whatever.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-31-2009, 02:16 PM   #13
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member

It's American or nothing as far as I'm concerned. That was the whole point of Saturn in the first place.

Celebrity Eurosport.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-31-2009, 04:43 PM   #14
PontiacLvr
PontiacLvr is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 2.2L

Saturn Eclipse
Saturn Outlander
Saturn Lancer
Saturn Lancer Evo
Saturn Lancer Ralliart
Saturn Lancer Sportback+

get rid of the Galant/Raider/endeavor

just need a compact right ... Dreaming i know

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PontiacLvr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PontiacLvr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PontiacLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:05 PM   #15
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

I like Saturn Forester, Saturn Legacy, and Saturn Impreza WRX. Even Saturn Tribeca sounds good. I can't predict but I hope the buyer is Subaru.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:07 PM   #16
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member

Why would Subaru do that when they're doing just fine on their own?

The new Legacy was just revealed, btw. I think it's ugly, and not nearly as sleek or well proportioned as the one it replaces. Oh well, I'll have to start saving for a BMW 328xi now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010_lg0000a_h_jpg.jpg (41.0 KB, 12 views)

Celebrity Eurosport.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-31-2009, 05:18 PM   #17
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
They make great vehicles and have a very low profile. I'm sure they can easily expand. Why would they want to? It's all about market share and making money. Picking up 300+ dealerships to sell their product would get them out of the shadow of the other Japanese manufacturers. Wishful thinking on my part, as I'll never buy another GM Saturn. But I would buy a Subaru or Subaru built Saturn.
I really like that pic of the new Legacy you uploaded.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:37 PM   #18
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

the whole deal really makes alot of sense. they have a very limited dealer network here which has hurt them for years. they only sell three cars and two suvs in this county, i believe, and dont sell alot of them. with saturns network i think both will flourish.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-31-2009, 06:58 PM   #19
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
Is it one of the major players or a 'second-tier', i.e. Suzuki, Mitsibushi, Mazda, Subaru - or you can't tell?

Any one of these smaller competitors would jump on the opportunity to pick up 350-360 North American outlets that would otherwise shutter down.

I would be absolutely floored if the manufacturer that wants to pair up with Saturn is Nissan/Renault. Subaru wouldn't be a bad fit either.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:05 PM   #20
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post

The new Legacy was just revealed, btw. I think it's ugly, and not nearly as sleek or well proportioned as the one it replaces. Oh well, I'll have to start saving for a BMW 328xi now!
Wow, it's not Camry-fied, but I agree the sleekness is gone - the 2005-09 B4 Legacy was a pleasing wedge shape (not unlike the 00-02 L-Series).

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote