SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2009, 12:15 AM   #1
KingRex
Advanced Member
KingRex will become famous soon enoughKingRex will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2
Default Acceleration Delay?

I'm not sure that they call this actually... Maybe hesitation? I honestly am not sure, when I'm driving, it feels like, when it's speeding up from a light, it feels kinda laggy, not smooth, like the gas isn't getting to the engine fast enough.

I just blamed my old transmission for it, and ignored it, now that I have a different transmission in it, that preforms outstandingly well. I belive it to be rebuilt, as the torque converter was dated 03, and was black in color, looked nothing like my old one. The transmission came from a 1994 SC2, poor thing, engine was nearly seized, it was a real trick getting it to turn so I could get the TC nuts off.

Stuff I've tested and checked/replaced:
TPS (Checked it on the multimeter, perfect condition, set dead on, smooth voltage increase and decrease)
New Brass ECTS (Was already replaced by previous owner, but did it anyway again)
Removed and cleaned Throttle body (Was very dirty)
Cleaned and checked IAC (No idle issues to mention)
Replaced EGR Valve
Replaced Plugs (NGK Coppers, gaped correctly)
Checked Coil Towers, and mount (Clean and free of corrision)
New Plug Wires
O2 sensor is a cheap-o replacement (Not by me, came with it, I think it was replaced because the car used to stall cause of the EGR getting stuck open)
Replaced the Transmission (lol twice! First replacement was flood damaged )
Catalytic Converter is gone. (Straight Pipe Replacement, 1995 = No second O2)
No exhaust leaks. Solid Pipes and new muffler

Past that, all I can figure is MAP sensor, IAT, or fuel filter is plugging up.

Any ideas?

"The Homecoming King"

Saturns Saved: 18

Saturns Owned: 2

1999 SL2 HCE 175K
1994 SL2 HCE 135K
1999 SL2 Silver 125K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KingRex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KingRex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KingRex is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2009, 01:22 AM   #2
KCdave
KCdave is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Re: Acceleration Delay?

If you want to try something...
I don't think there's been a simple test designed for the MAP
but when I changed mine, I put a Volt-Ohm meter on it.

Flip the MAP on it's back
Have the connector at the top
Nipple will be on the left

Negative Probe in the right most hole.

Test the middle point then the left point.

Mine were:
OLD middle - 408.0 K ohms (.408 M ohms)
NEW middle - 25.0 K ohms

OLD left - 1.4 K ohms
NEW left - 1.6 K ohms

My old MAP at the middle pin was much higher in impedance/resistance than the new one was. 16 times higher.
The outside pins were about the same.

Since the MAP was still allowing current to pass, what had changed was the span. That would give me an inaccurate reading.
Like a bad speedometer that shows 60 MPH when you're going 50 MPH.

Technically, the meter is working so the PCM might think it's okay and not give you a code. But it will be adjusting to the wrong Manifold Pressure.

There are vacuum leaks and other things to check, I'm sure.
But here's a chance to work on my MAP project.
It's just a theory

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KCdave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KCdave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KCdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:04 AM   #3
chingondearmona
chingondearmona is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

dirty congested fuel filters makes your engine hesitate, iv had that problem, main cause is always having your fuel tank almost at emty, alot of dirt particles in tanks, ive been using nothing but shell or chevron gas stations, mostly chevron with a full tank most of the time never passing less then half a quarter seems like my problem has been vanishing, but i still need a new filter

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chingondearmona's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chingondearmona reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chingondearmona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:18 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

How old is your fuel filter? If it has 30 to 50 thousand miles on it then its due. be sure to use either a WIX or OEM filter. Other than that low fuel pressure will do the same thing but the fuel filter is first. Static testing of the MAP is of minimal value and its a 50.00 part, new. It is also GM generic. Check the port into the manifold under the MAP. If its full of goo that will also do it. Also, that el-crapo O2 sensor could do it. The NGK ones work just fine though. Here is a low price deal on them. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRex View Post
I'm not sure that they call this actually... Maybe hesitation? I honestly am not sure, when I'm driving, it feels like, when it's speeding up from a light, it feels kinda laggy, not smooth, like the gas isn't getting to the engine fast enough.

I just blamed my old transmission for it, and ignored it, now that I have a different transmission in it, that preforms outstandingly well. I belive it to be rebuilt, as the torque converter was dated 03, and was black in color, looked nothing like my old one. The transmission came from a 1994 SC2, poor thing, engine was nearly seized, it was a real trick getting it to turn so I could get the TC nuts off.

Stuff I've tested and checked/replaced:
TPS (Checked it on the multimeter, perfect condition, set dead on, smooth voltage increase and decrease)
New Brass ECTS (Was already replaced by previous owner, but did it anyway again)
Removed and cleaned Throttle body (Was very dirty)
Cleaned and checked IAC (No idle issues to mention)
Replaced EGR Valve
Replaced Plugs (NGK Coppers, gaped correctly)
Checked Coil Towers, and mount (Clean and free of corrision)
New Plug Wires
O2 sensor is a cheap-o replacement (Not by me, came with it, I think it was replaced because the car used to stall cause of the EGR getting stuck open)
Replaced the Transmission (lol twice! First replacement was flood damaged )
Catalytic Converter is gone. (Straight Pipe Replacement, 1995 = No second O2)
No exhaust leaks. Solid Pipes and new muffler

Past that, all I can figure is MAP sensor, IAT, or fuel filter is plugging up.

Any ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
KingRex
Advanced Member
KingRex will become famous soon enoughKingRex will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2

I have no idea how old the fuel filter actually is. I know the car was a hand-me-down to the people who had it before me.

I know it still has a lot of original parts on it. I'm not sure of the cars history before 2002, and what I have states nothing about the fuel filter. So it's really old probably, it looks it.

"The Homecoming King"

Saturns Saved: 18

Saturns Owned: 2

1999 SL2 HCE 175K
1994 SL2 HCE 135K
1999 SL2 Silver 125K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KingRex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KingRex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KingRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:44 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

I would jump on a new filter from the dealer or NAPA (WIX in disguise) and hope it solves the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-24-2009, 01:59 AM   #7
JonP
JonP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
How old is your fuel filter? If it has 30 to 50 thousand miles on it then its due. be sure to use either a WIX or OEM filter. Other than that low fuel pressure will do the same thing but the fuel filter is first. Static testing of the MAP is of minimal value and its a 50.00 part, new. It is also GM generic. Check the port into the manifold under the MAP. If its full of goo that will also do it. Also, that el-crapo O2 sensor could do it. The NGK ones work just fine though.
Hey Nuc... troubleshooting similar things on my own, and pushed a wire down the MAP hole in the manifold... it came out rather gooey. Any suggestions on how to clean it with the manifold on the car? I ran a bit of brake cleaner down it, but am afraid of dumping a load of crap into the running engine...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:08 AM   #8
JonP
JonP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
How old is your fuel filter? If it has 30 to 50 thousand miles on it then its due. be sure to use either a WIX or OEM filter. Other than that low fuel pressure will do the same thing but the fuel filter is first. Static testing of the MAP is of minimal value and its a 50.00 part, new. It is also GM generic. Check the port into the manifold under the MAP. If its full of goo that will also do it. Also, that el-crapo O2 sensor could do it. The NGK ones work just fine though.
Hey Nuc... troubleshooting similar things on my own, and pushed a wire down the MAP hole in the manifold... it came out rather gooey. Any suggestions on how to clean it with the manifold on the car? I ran a bit of brake cleaner down it, but am afraid of dumping a load of crap into the running engine...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:31 AM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Any bristle brush will do it as its not very long of a passage. Anything pushed into the manifold is burnable. Take a look at the bottom of the MAP and verify the little hole is not plugged either. There is a fragile diaphragm in ther so don't poke into it very far, its a $50.00 part.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!