SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Thumbs Down Saturn Distributors and Mahindra Distributors

Hmmm....

Report. Just read the appointment of a former Saturn Executive of 17 years to Mahindra Distributors (Indian) Manufacturing...

if this is the "Exciting Times" that everyone has been writing about...I don't think that I'll be participating in the "Future" of Saturn....

Article: http://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayRe...4981186&EDATE=

Granted..Max Butler is in advertising, he was with Saturn Advertising for 17 years...and Mahindra is aggresively looking at pushing their compact pickups here in the U.S. over the next couple of years...potentially selling them in Saturn Dealerships.

See, now I have read conflicting news reports...first there were reports that GM had talked with Mahindra about selling it's Trucks in Saturn Dealerships, then I read they weren't.

Am I playing connect the dots correctly here? Let's see

GM---> 1991 Saturn
1991 Saturn---> Picks up Max Butler
GM----> Eliminates Saturn 2008-2011
Eliminated Saturn----> Bye Max Butler
Max Butler----> Meet John Perez, CEO of Global Vehicles/Mahindra
Mahindra---> Meet Saturn
Saturn/Mahindra makes Indian/Imported Saturns?

From the article:

"It was crucial for us to have someone heading the marketing and advertising efforts for the launch of the new Mahindra products who really understands the ins and outs of this market," explained Perez. "Max knows how to translate the marketing programs developed by the manufacturer into advertising dealers can use to sell trucks and SUVs."

Beginning later this year, Global Vehicles will launch two- and four-door diesel-powered pickup trucks, in both two-wheel and four-wheel-drive versions. These are rugged vehicles, compact in size with the payload and towing capacity of larger pickups, with the fuel economy of a small automobile. About a year later, a diesel-powered SUV, with similar characteristics, will follow the pickup.

Butler joins Global Vehicles following 17 years of Saturn marketing for three advertising agencies in Atlanta, most recently Deutsch LA. His first Saturn position, in 1991, was with Publicis & Hal Riney, moving in 2002 to Goodby, Silverstein & Partners with the brand.

"Obviously he was successful with his Saturn work because they insisted he stay with the account even when they changed advertising agencies," said Perez. "We feel he can really energize our efforts at the most elemental level, helping dealers reach customers for our great trucks."

People don't want DIESEL PICKUP Trucks!!!! They want economy CARS...and with the environmental issues...more people are concerned about ELECTRIC CARS then they are DIESEL PICKUP TRUCKS....Oy Vey!!!!

Once again too little, too late.
Is this right? Am I missing anything?

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Saturn Distributors and Mahindra Distributors

Good article,Thanks. Yes, too soon to be connecting dots (was there a intended pun in there?).

Mahindra has a reputation starting back in WWII building Jeeps for the US Military and now builds Tractors here in the USA. They are a major NASCAR Sponsor and have been looking to start here in the automotive field for some time.

Quote:
These are rugged vehicles, compact in size with the payload and towing capacity of larger pickups, with the fuel economy of a small automobile.
As you can see, fuel economy IS mentioned with pertinence to said trucks. Thats a good thing for Mahindra and a bad thing for GM and the American competition IF (BIG if) these vehicles are clean burning and get really good mileage. This could be a milestone challenge and a wake up call for US truck builders and a possible open door for clean diesel cars too IMO. I would love if Chevy brought back a modern S10 with better mileage.

Many people in the Auto industry move around, so all I see is Butler's portfolio expanding and nothing more right now. I would not rule out Mahindra's interest in Saturn SDC, but there are many other companies who are also talking with Saturn as well.

It is my feeling that with the expensive lesson GM learned from the Astra, a Captive Import, again importing vehicles would not be viable for Saturn either. Rather, as most import companies that now build here in the US: BMW, Nissan, Toyota, Hyundai, KIA, VW etc. I envision Saturn having their own designs and assembly plants here in the US.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by marx404 View Post
....I envision Saturn having their own designs and assembly plants here in the US.

Isn't that what Spring Hill, Tennessee was built for and to achieve?

Now it's just another GM Clone plant...making Chevies. Go Figure

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
railguy7
railguy7 is on a distinguished road

Marx404...

Who are these companies you mention below...don't leave us dangling..... names please.

"there are many other companies who are also talking with Saturn as well"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to railguy7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help railguy7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
railguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
dorseto
dorseto is on a distinguished road

Inappropriate comment deleted by administrator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dorseto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dorseto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dorseto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
marx404
Master Member

2008 Astra XE

You would be amazed at how well Google works. Try Saturn + (insert company name) and see what you come up with.
I figured that no matter what I post I will get slammed, so what.
Cheers!

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-20-2009, 03:12 PM   #7
paulff3
paulff3 will become famous soon enoughpaulff3 will become famous soon enough

I went to Mahindra's website. Their vehicles are horrific looking.

15 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Manual
14 BMW 435i M Sport 6speed
08 XR 5 speed - Blue with 3M film - SOLD!
03 Acura CLS 6speed - Silver with 3M film - SOLD!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulff3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulff3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paulff3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:22 PM   #8
marx404
Master Member

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulff3 View Post
I went to Mahindra's website. Their vehicles are horrific looking.
Sure you weren't looking at their tractors? Just kidding.

Yea, they are butt-ugly. But what do you want from an Army Jeep manufacturer? If, what and when Saturn decides, they will most produce a Saturn design. Hey, butt-ugly or not, as bad as the roads are here, give me a butt-ugly, reliable, durable car that gets 40+ mpg and I'll take it! :-)

I still thought it weird seeing Mahindras name gracing the back of a NASCAR car, but there you go.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!